NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Wear @ Packing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft Wear @ Packing
    Posted: December-18-2008 at 9:03pm
Eric,
FYI, I recently bought a new shaft for my non-CC inboard thru SkiDim. $283.50 with the 10% CCfan discount. It included a nice matching flange. may want to consider? Mine was an A.R.E 1 x 4, 50.5".
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by edb82 edb82 wrote:

I wanna say thanks to all you Grand Poobahs and Snr Members giving us rookies a chance to learn so much about these great boats.

Eric

x2
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
edb82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edb82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 1:50pm
Yep, sometimes I have to learn the hard way, that's the wallet way. The new coupler is $110 after shipping and another $70 to have it faced and pressed.

Where I went wrong:
I pulled the trans to shipp to Eric and then decided to have the shaft checked after it was already removed. Without the transmission flange I could not use the traditional socket and bolt technique.

I used a 3 arm gear puller until the coupler was destroyed. Finally I removed four bolts, a few connections and llifted the engine to pull the shaft through the top.

I should have been patient, install the rebuilt trans and then remove the shaft the traditional way.

I am a first time Ski Nautique / Correct Craft owner so I enjoy the learning curve.....as painful as it is sometimes.

I wanna say thanks to all you Grand Poobahs and Snr Members giving us rookies a chance to learn so much about these great boats.

Eric
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 8:41am
Eric,
The wear isn't that bad. If the shaft is straight, I'd clean it up and use it. The new packing (use the Goxtex) will conform to minor grooves.

I have to ask, what did you use to try and get the coupling off? A 3 arm gear puller on the outside edge of the flange?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
edb82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edb82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 2:35am
Pulled the shaft to have it checked for straightness and thought I would check with the team to see if the wear at the packing gland is excessive before I pay to have a new coupling faced. I does have a small grove. I will be ready for warmer wx, Eric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic