Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pin Striping

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pin Striping
    Posted: January-20-2009 at 5:49pm
I just thought anyone looking for pin striping should know that I found the best deal at my local Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint store. It was actually about $10.00 per roll cheaper than the internet source recommended and I didn't have to pay shipping. They didn't have it in stock but ordered it for me and it should be in in a couple of days.
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Rglover Rglover wrote:

Ripster,

That's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the info. I have a 3M pinstripe chart and can match the colors from it and order from them. I did all sorts of Google searches but never came across that. That's what I love about this site. There's always someone here that has done what you are wanting to do and can lend the knowledge needed.

Thanks again.

Robbie - Awesome to hear.My guess is that it's a little hole in the wall place. I've used quite a few of those based on advise from others on the site. Always grateful to finally return some of my input to help out. You're right. This site is extremely diverse and is great for sharing knowledge.

Steve
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 11:36am
Robbie,
Yes, I go to Lanier. We went about 20 times this summer. Charleston Park ramp was extended and is only 20 miles from my house. Last time we went was October 5, 2008. Water level was at 1053. It was very nice at Lanier this summer. Very little boat traffic because of low water and high gas prices. We had a blast!
I used to work at Lanier, and it is my "home" lake, so I feel very comfortable there.
However, from 1990 to 1993 I was the manager of Dalton Marine, on hwy 92 in Acworth. We sold Ranger, Ebbtide and some pontoon boats(unfortunately no Correct Crafts). It has been awhile since I have been on Altoona. Let's hook up sometime.
Thanks
Jimsport93
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2009 at 10:57am
Jim,

Thanks for the compliments and help. I work in Alpharetta and live in Canton. Do you boat at Lanier (when there's water)? That's a beautiful boat you have as well. We go to Allatoona mostly. It's 15 minutes from the house and we camp there alot at Sweetwater.

Hollywood,

After further thought I agree with you about too much work.

Ripster,

That's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the info. I have a 3M pinstripe chart and can match the colors from it and order from them. I did all sorts of Google searches but never came across that. That's what I love about this site. There's always someone here that has done what you are wanting to do and can lend the knowledge needed.

Thanks again.
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 10:39pm
Hey Rglover. Try Pinstripe, I originally found this one on Ebay and had everything that I needed. Hope that helps...

Steve
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Might consider painting them on. Strip the wax off the area to be painted (scotchbright pad), tape it out and then spray on the stripes. Maybe some clear to gloss them up a bit. Remove the tape and wax.

Seems like a lot of work. You're already basically pin striping the boat, then painting.

All you need to do is find the pintripe you want. What exactly are you looking for?
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 8:27pm
Robby,
That sure is a great looking boat you have. I remember looking at it in the diaries section when you first posted it. I am sure she rides and handles great.
As far as the pin stripes, you may try Whitelake Marine or Woody at what used to be SECC (now Southeast Marine...I think). It is a long shot, but maybe you will get lucky.
Jimsport93
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 7:32pm

They do, but so far a have visited about 10 of them and not found one single roll of the colors I need.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 7:28pm
I thought the blingier type auto part stores (autozone, pep boys...) had small rolls of pin striping in various widths and colors.
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 7:12pm
Critter,

Thanks. That's a good idea. Would you just use normal spray paint? Would you prime with anything first?
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 7:08pm
Might consider painting them on. Strip the wax off the area to be painted (scotchbright pad), tape it out and then spray on the stripes. Maybe some clear to gloss them up a bit. Remove the tape and wax.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 6:50pm
Does anyone have a good source for pin striping. I have the 1986 Martinique and it had 3 pin stripes on the hull that were cracking and peeling in some spots. I have removed them and never thought it would be so hard to find pin stripes. I have found that I can order them from an automotive paint supplier but I don't feel I am getting any break walking in off the street and I can only order 150 foot long rolls. I only need about 50 feet of three different colors. I have not been able to locate an online supplier that has them. Any ideas?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic