NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer: To brake or not to brake...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer: To brake or not to brake...
    Posted: January-29-2009 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Wingnut.. What the....

Alan, you added brakes to your trailer, correct? Disc or Drum?

Yeah, I added drum because of the weight of the rig. I wanted to go disk but they require more pressure to apply so with a lighter boat when using surge brakes drum are recommended below 3000 and disk above that.

disk vs drum
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2009 at 11:46am
I have an '85 with the factory trailer. You guys mention 3000# brakes, but I can't ever find 3000# brakes with 6 lug hubs. They all seem to be 8000# or higher, which is definite overkill.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2009 at 2:37pm
I got an '02 1500 Yukon XL with the 5.3 V8. The brakes on this thing are HUGE! We drive 27 miles eachway to go to our lake, and it is a bit hilly. Our SN and trailer are about 3,000lbs. It does fine, but brakes would be nice just to take some load off of the Yukon.
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 6:39pm
Larry,
The tow vehicles in MA. must have real good brakes or else they use the vehicle in front of them for additional braking!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 5:42pm

state trailer brake limits

One thing on this didnt line up. I looked up MA and it appears to be 3,000, but this map says MA is 10,000.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 5:28pm
3k sounds better Pete. I know that is the number commonly thrown out when brakes are "recommended". Brakes were still options on the early "2001" Ski Nautiques trailers.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 4:49pm
Wingnut.. What the....

Alan, you added brakes to your trailer, correct? Disc or Drum?

Here is Tie Downs sales sheet on the disc brakes, would these work on Kirk's or any CC Trailer? Unless I am missing something, which is somewhat likely, aren't disc's better then drum's, less maintenance, etc? Cost difference?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Most state laws require trailer brakes over 1000lbs.

Are you serious? Wouldn't this require anyone with an older trailer (say 1970s CC) to put brakes on it? Seems incredibly unreasonable to enforce such a law.

Kevin,
I was wrong. I just googled state regulations for trailer brakes and found a listing of all the states. Most states (Ill. too) say they are required for any trailer over 3000lbs GTW. I'd have to say it's not enforced and most officers wouldn't know what they are looking at anyway. But, this is why we now see even single axle (typical 3500GTW) new trailers with brakes. I don't know if old trailers are "grandfathered" - it didn't say in the chart.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 4:18pm

Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I can stop quick something critical here in TX.

Anthony,
Can't people still drink and drive in Texas?

You should see how many accidents we have when it starts raining. We are under ice storm conditions and people wants to 65mph on highways, they don't get it. I think is legal to drink and drive on the back of a pickup.

They changed the law about shooting people. Now you don't have to tell them you are going to shoot them if you found a thief inside your property. Just shoot!!! Got love the Lonestar state!
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 3:25pm
I looked up California to confirm this and any trailer with a GVW over 1500lbs is required to have breaks. I don't know about other states. California tends to regulate everything they can possibly think of. As far as enforcing the law, I doubt the cops are going to be looking but if you got pulled over or in a wreck or something, it might complicate things for you. Who knows? I can tell you that I've hauled a few boats with out them for several years and never even knew it was an issue.
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 3:07pm

Are you serious? Wouldn't this require anyone with an older trailer (say 1970s CC) to put brakes on it? Seems incredibly unreasonable to enforce such a law.
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 2:14pm
I was pondering this question my self. I'm pretty sure in California any trailer over 1500lbs is required to have breaks. I don't think mine are working - I popped the top on the reservoir and I didn't find any fluid! Hopefully it's as simple as bleeding the lines.

I just got back from Texas. I understand your need to stop fast! I think it's legal to drink and drive and shoot anyone who gets in your way!
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 10:12am
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I can stop quick something critical here in TX.

Anthony,
Can't people still drink and drive in Texas?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2009 at 8:51am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

pulling with a Suburban stopping is not much different with or without boat in tow.

Thats because your trailer brakes are working you wingnut. If they weren't you'ld know it, thats a lot of boat to stop.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

I was wondering how long it would take for freakin lawyers to be brought up.

Sorry - Liability is pretty much drummed into me at work.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 11:16pm
Quinner,
     Trailerpartsdepot have different kits available. Checkout their website. They have from different kits ranging from weight, drum/disk, and hydraulics/electronics. Do you have disc or drums? If you have drums make sure they are well bleed and adjusted. A decent adjustment should be that when you turn the wheel it will stop about 1/4-1/2 turn. Make sure you feel the same resistance on all them. On my trailer it was very noticeable difference. I can stop quick something critical here in TX.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 10:29pm
Are there kits available for a disc brake system? Our trailer has brakes on both axles thus (4) disc brakes, pulling with a Suburban stopping is not much different with or without boat in tow.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 9:51pm
I was wondering how long it would take for freakin lawyers to be brought up.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 8:33pm
KMan - I'm with Pete on this one. If you get involved in an accident with defective brakes & get sued, your defense lawyer's fees will make the $325 look like peanuts.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 6:51pm
I knew the V8 would come back to haunt me. Fingers type faster than the brain thinks...

Thanks for the advice.
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 6:48pm
Kirk,
Go with the brakes if you can. I have a 3/4 ton Suburban and even with a 2000lb. boat/trailer the brakes make a big difference especially with hard/emergency braking.

You having a: "Ford Expedition with the large V8 engine" The engine only comes into play for acceleration!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 5:22pm
Here is an exple. Maybe your traile can be update with this newer style brake. This kit cost $325.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 5:07pm
Kirk,
     I have a 99 Silverado and my brakes were shot when I bought the trailer. Your friend is right. If you have that big of a vehicle you don't need them. Now, I repaired mine and I don't regreat it. Now I feel more comfortable when I need to brake to brake hard. Also, I feel better knowing that if came off the hitch the emergency lock should stop. Safety is the question and how deep are your pockets. I bought all my parts at the trailerpartsdepot and they helped me a lot. I was surprise to know is really not that expensive. I only bought the parts I needed but I realize that for a little bit more I could bought the whole thing new. I don't know if they would have parts for that kind of brake. But you can buy the actuator and both drums for ~$340. Installation should be really easy. I would definetly do it since I have seen the difference and for the cost you will have some peace of mind, IMO. Is up to you and your pockets.
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2009 at 4:35pm
I have a tandem trailer (1976 model) that has an old style inertia brake system on it that currently does not work due to age, rust, etc. A friend of mine who pulls a lot of trailers, boats and RV's told me to just leave it disconnected. The boat dry weight is 2450lbs and I pull it with a Ford Expedition with the large V8 engine which is rated for a lot more weight than that. He mentioned other variables like what happens if the brakes lock up on the trailer...

So, does he have a point or should I replace the brake system? One more important point is that I don't pull my boat very much. Maybe 4-5 times a year for trips. Otherwise it stays on Eagle Mountain.

Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic