Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

81 Ski Rebuild Prep and HI!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
fixerupper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixerupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 81 Ski Rebuild Prep and HI!
    Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:44pm
Well they apparently worked well enough for someone to build up heat to displace the chromium I really don't know much about them other than they are plate and came in the bilge. I am sure there was some kind of a keeper that got put in a bin of parts that didn't come with the boat that held the elbows on to the manifolds.
Dan
---------------
81 Ski Nautique
79 Shamrock
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 12:29pm
the elbows sit inside a pocket then there are bolts with a special keeper/plate on the back side that catch the lip and holds them in place. Not sure if I would take a chance on them as well.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 11:56am
The elbow in the back is showing an aweful lot of rust for stainless, looks like a lot of heat at the flanges too and there must be another piece there somewhere as the flange on the elbow seems that it would fit inside the manifold flange and pivot and need some sort of plate to hold it in place.   Fairly large ports though atleast compared to anything else stock that I've seen. Not sure they're worth anything though but they are interesting.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 11:39am
elbows are custom stainless steel one off's most likely, the manifolds have been welded at least the one has not sure if they would last long, might be pretty corroided internally.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixerupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2009 at 9:22am
Ok So I organized my computer and I found a Picture.. So anybody seen any like this before?
Dan
---------------
81 Ski Nautique
79 Shamrock
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2009 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Look no further my friend, I have a set of edelbrocks that have never been on a boat. Planned to glass bead and polish them and sell them on flea bay but they're your's if you're serious.

Cool, pile them up with the heads and intake if you still have those items too. I don't know why I don't just email you first when I'm looking for parts.
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 10:20pm
The boat with all the outboards was at the front of a British Coast Gaurd chase in the English Channel. Thing was running drugs and I would say quite well with 2,000 hp.

In regards to manifolds, if we're talking stainless, they could be built more like headers and of course, you could choose your tubing diameters up to 2.5".

It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Alan, youre going to have to enlighten me on the intricacies of bead blasting and polishing. Ive got a few sets of Edelbrocks that need to be cleaned up as well.

Be glad to, I thought once I got my HM's done I'd post about the process, results and effort. I know I've said this before but "I'm almost done"

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 7:45pm
Alan, youre going to have to enlighten me on the intricacies of bead blasting and polishing. Ive got a few sets of Edelbrocks that need to be cleaned up as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I have been casually looking for some new exhaust manifolds. I am mainly interested in the weight savings and shine of aluminum over black cast iron. Mostly big block stuff out there.

Look no further my friend, I have a set of edelbrocks that have never been on a boat. Planned to glass bead and polish them and sell them on flea bay but they're your's if you're serious.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 1:35pm
I have been casually looking for some new exhaust manifolds. I am mainly interested in the weight savings and shine of aluminum over black cast iron. Mostly big block stuff out there.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by fixerupper fixerupper wrote:

Well then I will have to let them flip for them ( or settle it like men, whatever that means) but only if I don't end up using them...Thanks you for pointing out my oversight.

I don't think Hollywood wants them, he was just pointing out they look like HM. You need to post a photo of them now as the curiousity factor is kicking in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixerupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 11:12am
Well then I will have to let them flip for them ( or settle it like men, whatever that means) but only if I don't end up using them...Thanks you for pointing out my oversight.

They are SS though. They are different than others I have seen as they are fabbed up of plate welded together and the ends are open to connect to risers (the ones in the boat are maybe 3') with what looks like the pattern used for street headers as a joint method. I haven't figured it out quite yet, not enough time to stare at them and not all the pieces. Maybe I will post a pic when I get back to the boat.
Dan
---------------
81 Ski Nautique
79 Shamrock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixerupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 11:03am
I thought they put the foam in there so they could guarantee they would sell another boat! ( due to rot, joking mostly, I think?..I know it is in there for flotation)

I agree that compartments are a very good way to provide flotation as long as you cap the top. (Think Titanic)

I used Gator-aid bottles in the last boat I re-floored and it has been 10 years and they haven't been tried yet, but they also did not break loose and pound the bottom of the deck (,which is what I was worried about)

The way the rot seems to go in these I am almost surprised. There are a lot of boats out there that are put together with polyester, which is not a good glue or encapsulant, but pretty good plastic for wetting out fiberglass. Many of them don't have the problems these boat seem to have. But then again how many of them reach the speeds these boats do and also have the motor pounding on the stringers?

The last boat I took apart was a Glasstron from Tx and it had open cell foam. Before I took out the foam I could not move the boat by hand, after the foam was gone it was a totally different scenario. It just has 3/4 plywood stringers though and three layers of mat will make up the difference in that case with or without replacing the wood.

Off my soap box, I am here to listen and learn.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions!
Dan
---------------
81 Ski Nautique
79 Shamrock
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Dan,
in an earlier post you said you had a set of SS exhaust manifolds for a ford. you also said you might install a chevy, if you do and want to sell or trade those SS manifolds please keep me in mind, I am on the hunt for a nice set of ford Commander SS manifolds.

Jody

Hollywood called it earlier,, they appear to be Holman Moodys and I would suspect Aluminum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixerupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 10:48am
I know some new boats have "drop in" composite stringer systems and I am not sure if I can duplicate that sort of arrangement without a lot of work. It seems like such a thing would be an aftermarket product many here would like, If I were to make a mold.

Of course the simple solution would be working out a method of leaving the rotten wood in and adding enough of a structure with fiberglass as part of a composite to build the strength back up so that the wood was not needed. One thing that would be done for sure is to eliminate a lot of the "itch" that way.

I know that fiberglass is simply much more "bendy" than wood and the differences are obvious. It would be interesting to see if something like this could be designed and retrofitted keeping the same basic layout of the hull. Yes, back to Naval Architecture school for me...

I will search for the threads mentioned. I hate to recreate the work that others have already done and I realize many can add to my knowledge.

I am also interested in the possibilities of reusing the floor layup. Anyone tried that yet?

Maybe I should name the boat "Cheap-Skate?" I could buy all the supplies second hand! ( or third) I have heard of $100 boats before...

I will consider that I heard a "dibs" on the manifolds if I don't use them...

That is a ridiculous amount of power on that boat... Is that a photoshop or is that the boat at the front or the rear of a Coast Guard chase.
Dan
---------------
81 Ski Nautique
79 Shamrock
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 10:33am
After care is also a big factor, the boat pictured up top is typical of stringer rot,
once your done rebuilding a boat to this extent will that be your storage method?.....do you leave your sunroof open on your car during a rain storm? the foam is in there for one reason....sustained float time, hours, days, weeks, in that amount of time you should be able to save the boat from going down. you build in enough air pockets to keep it afloat until help arrives on a ski boat and it is usually within seconds.
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 2:03am
Here's a thought in case you feel like going extreme on the power!

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2009 at 4:02pm
Composite vs Wood.
I have pulled apart many old ski boats over the years and have found the biggest contributor to wood stringer rot is the wet foam. I have also pulled apart rotting floors in 35 year old boats to find the stringers were like new.
In replacing stringers one needs to decide what will the boat be used for and at what level of a craftsman are you to do a proper job. Aso Cost and availability of materials. I have fabbed full length stringers made from Coosa. These were 3/4" material that was sandwitched with 1/4" aluminum plate routered in the middle comprising of a 1.50" stringer. Material costs includung the Plexus and aluminum and Coosa was very high in comparrison with using kiln dry fir. also remember that any time composite stringers are to be built most all hardware being attached will need to be thru bolted and lagging in is a no no unless back with aluminum.

Dan,
in an earlier post you said you had a set of SS exhaust manifolds for a ford. you also said you might install a chevy, if you do and want to sell or trade those SS manifolds please keep me in mind, I am on the hunt for a nice set of ford Commander SS manifolds.

Jody
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2009 at 3:15pm
hasbeenskier and JoeinNY both did composite stringers. BJ also did his "Ski Antique" all composite although I'm not sure it is documented on this site. Both were just at the St. John's river.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2009 at 2:38pm
There were mixed opinions here con going to composite stringers. I saw it on a thread but don´t recall I guess if you search it will come out. Concern were about how the boat was built, coast guard things, etc....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixerupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2009 at 11:53am
Kapla,It was really cheap and I am not scared of fiberglass so I figure it is ok.

The Grinch, Frank is a guard cat and since the boat doesn't have carpet in it and most of it will see a grinder I am not too worried.Even If I didn't like Frank there are plenty more that would take his place so it would be fruitless .

BuffaloBFN, I read your stringer tail and that is why I decided I would join.

I am really interested in the option of a composite stringer system has anyone tried it and been happy with the results and cost?

I am out of town on business and won't be back to the project for awhile. Plenty of time to "bench" fiberglass...

Thank you all for the encouragement!
Dan
---------------
81 Ski Nautique
79 Shamrock
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2009 at 8:08am
Your starting point isn't so different from mine or several others on here...plus you have a sense of humor; this will be a big help!

This picture from the reference section shows your tranny with a RR 351w/350 GM in front of it. The next pic shows a RH prop.

Try the search feature. Tons of good info here.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 11:43pm
Ambitious is the only word comming to mind. If it were mine, I wouldn't let that cat get comfortable sitting on it. I don't like that hair or smell getting near anything of mine, and on my boat............ I'd have to make it a special drink!

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 5:19pm
i really don´t think that boat diserves a diesel and on such low hp!!!!
I don´t know much about gm on those boats but sure someone will know proper rotation for the engine RR or LR.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 5:15pm
how much did you pay for that "project" boat?
it looks rought for me....
welcome here anyway....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixerupper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 2:39pm
For inventory, I have: most of the windshield minus the wing vent windows, albeit a little bent, I have the gages but very painted, I have a muffler and a half (broken off), one flat tire( thrown in for "FREE"), two very nice S/S manifolds( seem to be S/B Ford), a maze of cracked old wire with associated rotten switches, a "beer cooler" the guy was tempted to keep for himself, a blue tarp that was "Brand New" and torn right down the middle upon further inspection when I got home, a steering cable with the helm end rusted off, a complete throttle cable assy missing it's knob but functional and a partridge in a pear tree, ok, no partridge but there were a few trees starting to come up.

But on the plus side, the rudder is attached and the prop and shaft is in there and there is a plug for the bottom as my friend in the junkyard business would say" I bet it will float"...

My neighbor has a 50hp Starette diesel he is giving me "to put in there" but I have lined up most of the parts to put in a 305 GM. I have a B/W 71 1:1 but I have not determined if this is appropriate yet.

I think it will need stringers or at least repairs. The cross member in the back is very rotten( broke when I stepped on it.) Any body done a composite replacement leaving out the wood?
Dan
---------------
81 Ski Nautique
79 Shamrock
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 2:14pm
saw those too forgot to mention them but have to look at the flange a little closer and make sure there not for a big block.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 2:05pm
Looks like he's got some aluminum H/M exhaust manifolds!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 2:02pm
well you should be fine with help from here I guess first is how bad are the stringers and floor, doess it have to be done first? being in the key's it really doesn't have to be a winter project as there really isn't a winter in the key's.

Next is what parts inventory do you have, guages, running gear etc.... looks pretty bare have half the windshield, a steering wheel and some mufflers, what else do you have?

Lastly and most importantly you should build the motor with a fresh water cooling system aka closed cooling, since you are going to run in salt all of the time that way all you have to worry about are the exhaust mainfolds and risers corroiding on you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic