NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It’s Alive!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It’s Alive!!
    Posted: March-13-2009 at 11:46pm
Got some wetsanding done today so I thought I would share some pictures! I was really nervous because I've only read a few posts and was not really sure what I was getting into. I haven't finished the whole transom but got the two larger parts pretty much done...Tell me what you think!

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 6:11pm
Steve,

I think I need a 1/2 in plug for it but am not 100% sure. The drain is about as big as my pointer finger and I'm pretty sure it has threads. We found one which seemed to be the right diameter but couldn't get it started.

Gramps is going to bring over a tap tomorrow and we're going to see if we can't get it plugged up and run some water through the cooling system!

I have some pretty serious fiberglass work to do on the deck and one spot on the hull. I've started fixing the spider cracks and am waiting on a grinder to make the patches.

I might take it down to the ramp when the weather gets nice and run her around just to see what happens! It was in the high 60's last week so maybe I'll get a nice day here soon!

Can't wait to see how she sounds in the water!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:50am
Chris,
I bought my 64 with the six banger in it without hearing it. (There was still ice on the water.)

I was most concerned about what I thought might be that whimpy-six sound....man was I wrong! I actually had a guy ask me once, if I had a big block in it, after starting it at the dock!     uhhh, not quite...

What plug do you need for the block? What diameter is it?/probably a freeze plug? I used to run a rubber expandable plug in my Ski-tique. Made it easy to drain the block when winterizing.

You planning to get her wet this summer?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:07am
Thanks for the comments guy! I am way excited to get after this project! I started fixing the spider cracks yesterday and have most of the day devoted to it tomorrow!!

Steve, It has a slant 6 chrysler in it. I love the way this thing sounds! Can't wait for a water test!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 12:25am
It's got a 6 like yours Steve.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2009 at 11:43pm

Chris,

Finally a college student with common sense!    
The motor sounds GREAT! what engine is in the Skier? / I only see one exhaust pipe?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2009 at 1:02am
Makes you feel a lot better about starting the project when you know the engine will run. Post pics as you go through the project. BKH
Livin' the Dream

dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2009 at 12:06am
That is a sweet sound!!!
83Ski
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 8:12pm
Well my grandpa came over today and fished out the stuff in the bell housing! Found a rag and a bunch of cloth fibers and junk. We used a garden hose connected to the shop vac to make sure we got everything out. Spun the motor by hand and made sure the fly wheel teeth were clean.

So we decided to start her up and see what happened. Fired right up again (see video)!

We're in need of a plug for the block tho. I ran some water through it with a hose and it ran out the drain into the bilge(someone help me with the right term for the plug.)

Still need to hook up the alternator so the impeller will send water through the engine.

Gramps thinks we can tap a new hole tomorrow or sunday and get some water running through her!

Check out the video and let me know what you all think!!! I'm way excited!!
Start
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:33pm
I'll get my pup in there today to see if she can sniff it out!

Chris, no cats around here! Just retrievers!

Eric, it was either the remains of his house flying out the top of the bell house last night or him! If he is alive, I hope he got the hint his house is no longer my boat!

I'll post some pics tonight!

Just happened to come across some sheets of Douglas Fir at my dad's new office...Sounds like they're left overs!!! Could be my new floor!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:19pm
Your cat would like that stuff!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 1:16pm
he is a moosh mouse now, make cracker spread from the remains
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 11:38am
You probably just have a mouse house in there.You might pull the starter off to see in.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 12:05am
Well Spring Break officially started today! Unlike most normal college kids who are traveling to Cabo or Panama City to party, I am home....working on the boats! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

I decided to see if I couldn't fire up the Skier project I bought this winter. After getting it in the shop and getting a battery set up, I threw in gas, crossed my fingers and turned it over. Fired right up and took off like a race horse. I was not expecting it to start so when it fired up it actually scared me!

I have a few things to fix tomorrow before I can get it running and send some water through it. I think something got caught in the bell housing by the transmission. Cloth Fibers were flying out so I shut her down for the night. Any tips on finding out whats in there?

A good start for the day!!!! She Runs!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic