Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

newbe? about steering cables

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbe? about steering cables
    Posted: March-12-2009 at 1:24am
Alan,
Thanks for your touch of dignity. I can't believe how people on this site want to boil someone that asks a question. And you are right this young fellow might be the one to offer the tow, just before dark, in the pouring rain.... and no one of them would decline the offer.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 12:51am
Jedi - Several years ago I had to replace the steering cable on my outboard. The shop I ordered it from was smart enough to order 2 different sizes (even though I measured) because they knew how finicky the length is. In fact, I had the 1st one 1/2 way installed & it just just a little short, so they let me exchange it for the next longer size (which was just a little too long) but I had room in the gunnel to let it droop.

So you are not the 1st person to get the wrong cable!

BTW, these guys will bail you out in a heartbeat. Come on back with a Correct Craft, you have already been theu the initiation.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 12:31am
Looks like you found the gingerbread house and no longer need the breadcrumbs.

Good on ya, Doc !!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 12:24am
Isn't that special

You're a good man Charlie Brown, Boat Doc
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 12:14am
Mike, do not sweat the small stuff. I do not,sorry to have been a little rough . Been doing the same thing for thirty years, working on boats,and trying to educate those with less knowledge than me.
I try to "pay it forward" cause there are things I am less than familiar with.Old wood boats, with "bakards motors" being my newest path to humility.
Give me a call and I will try to walk you thru your cable /helm issue.....Boat dr
   1-318-386-2825........Billy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 10:56pm
jed,
Can you pull the boat back to the place that sold you the cables? Was it a marina? Give them a second chance to get the correct length. If he again tells you to just loop it around under the dash then just return them and go else ware. Did he have these in stock?

The bottom line is we really don't want to see anyone get hurt hence the "scare tactics". I've been behind the helm of a outboard when the steering let loose. It's not fun!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jedicazador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedicazador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 10:39pm
You know I wasnt going to look here again, but I thought I would apologize, it is out of character for me to talk like this, Dr. I'm sorry, I hope you can forgive me for writing to you in a negative manner.
Alan thank you.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 8:19pm
Good response Allan. Mike, Boat Dr is the resident outboard guy and he's pretty easy to get along with.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 8:02pm
Hey guys I think Jedicazador did a pretty good job of being humble, he asked for help several times and thanked in advance for it.    He certainly knows he's in the wrong place now but I guarantee you there are plenty here on this forum that can help him out.

Mike, Most newbies on here get their butts handed to them atleast once you just happen to own an "outboard Fishing Boat", this place is hardcore inboard ski/wakeboard boats so there was no way you were getting out of here without being filleted. Let it go gang this guy might have to tow you in someday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedicazador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 7:41pm
Assumptions again Sigmund...That sure is a pretty boat you have, I read your story on it, totally refurbished, what did it look like when you started? And no you dont know jack about the boat, I planned on refurbishing it like you, funny how someone who has the same interest can get your panties in such a bunch, when a self proclaimed newbie asked for help.
As for this I hope to pass it along to more of your customers to show them you can spot a DUMB ASS as you look at yourself each morning, you arrogant ,fool, here you are debating yourself with a total stranger on the net.
Awaiting your put downs and intelligent remarks. naw I just let you bask in your own stupidity.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by jedicazador jedicazador wrote:

79nautique, here ya go since you didnt know what the hell a helm is.....

Chris didn't say "what" is a helm, he asked you "where" is the helm. Trust me, he knows what a helm is.

May I ask a question to Mr. Boat Mechanic?
You stated in your first post , you took the old cables to a dealer to buy replacements, YES? Being that you had the cables that were removed from this boat and you were only going to replace them, why did you buy cables that were TOO LONG....DUH.....
I assume you buy tires the same way, they are round so they "SHOULD FIT JUST FINE" See they are even the same color, pay the cashier . Or "HERE IS YOUR SIGN"
And you my boy are questioning me as to both my screen name and the name of my shop,and my ability to spot a DUMB ASS. I love to see YO YO's like you come down my drive. I love it more when I get to send you home with your boat in tow. I don't work on junk, nor do I have to put up with MORONS.
You my boy have a lethal dose of BOTH....Just for ***************s and giggles how much did you pay for the trailer,looks like he gave you the boat and motor. 200.00 for cables and we don't know if the motor has a fried piston, boy I want you to manage my checking account........The Boat Doctor
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by jedicazador jedicazador wrote:

Chris didn't say "what" is a helm, he asked you "where" is the helm. Trust me, he knows what a helm is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedicazador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 6:20pm
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Helm

helm
1   /hɛlm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [helm] Show IPA
noun
1.      Nautical.
a.      a wheel or tiller by which a ship is steered.
b.      the entire steering apparatus of a ship.
c.      the angle with the fore-and-aft line made by a rudder when turned: 15-degree helm.
2.      the place or post of control: A stern taskmaster was at the helm of the company.
verb (used with object)
3.      to steer; direct.
Origin:
bef. 900; ME helme, OE helma; c. MHG halme, helm handle, ON hjalm rudder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedicazador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 5:58pm
Wow, I'm really excited all of you have become so helpful, thanks for your nonjudgmental opinions, I seriously knew I was on this page, I saw a lot of nice people helping one another, I thought I could get the same help, my not being familiar with your jargon in the boating world, does not qualify you as Sigmund Freud to judge me based on my mechanical skills, nor my education. It is evident your Dr. title is self proclaimed and not earned. I would have been more lucky to have no responses from anyone here than to have a self proclaimed Dr. use his uncanny investigative skills to make fruitless assumptions.
Clearly this is not the site of friendship I thought.
You could have simply stated that this is not an outboard site and you are mistaken for being here.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 5:29pm
well you guys are way too nice.

First the cables about three feet too long,

secondly where the hell is the helm,

Thirdly where the hell are the rest of the parts that mount by the outboard

Fourthly
Listen to what you have all ready been told you don't know what the hell your doing so for you to continue is fruitless, the helm needs installed, the transom mounting hardware needs installed, Then you can worry about wether or not you have the right cable

So since you have no clue what the pluck should actually be installed prior to the steering cable being installed means;

A) your not going to get it right with any amount of help from here regardless of how detailed it is,

B) your going to kill someone when the steering goes out because you have no clue what the hell your doing.

C) So your options are wing it and cross your fingers you have money left after your sued by the survivor's family.

D) do what the good doctor says and take it to a professionel that knows what the hell they are plucking with.

also concider yourself extremely lucky anyone actually replied after posted that picture.

A) it's a bass boat B) it's not a correct craft bass boat, C) your SOL
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

IMO that cable Is way long...may be you can loop it under the dash???
But again nobody here knows much about outboards so youll find this site of little help....

With that being said, I have my own shop. I am Merc., Mercruiser Master, Yamaha and OMC Certified. So yes I do know about outboards, sterndrives and how to install steering cables. I think i remember installing a few.
The reason I was so short with the guy was how he took the thing apart, this ain't rocket science here.
The second reason was the heading on this site ,,,,,,,,DUHHHHHH
After thirty years in this field you soon recognize those that can and those that can't.
His last statement about making a loop under the dash sold me as to how much he knows and is oblivious to the danger involved in doing a less than first rate job.
I will state this again, if you don't know, take it to someone that has experience in the boating world..........The Boat Doctor....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 3:52pm
IMO that cable Is way long...may be you can loop it under the dash???
But again nobody here knows much about outboards so youll find this site of little help....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 3:46pm
I hope you dropped a trail of breadcrumbs on the way here. Good luck.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedicazador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 12:00am
Did I say I took that apart? Nope I did'nt, I appreciate your concern, however you didnt answer the question. If you read correctly, I'm questioning the professional who sold the cables in the first place and coming to you people with my question. Will this work, as he said, I dont feel comfortable that it will. But if the pro's say it will then I should just take his word for it or get another opinion? your that opinion friend.
I do apologize for being in an inboard forum, I did'nt realize that.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 11:42pm
Micheal Medrano, you are in the right church, just the wrong pew.
This site is about inbords, not outboards. The biggest difference is where the motor is mounted. Most of ours are inside the boat, not hung off the back.
From what I see you have made a very simple job very very hard.
There was no need to take the helm apart to replace the steering cables.With this being said , load up your bass boat and take it to a shop that is capable of fixing what "YOU TOOK APART" you have neither the skill nor the knowledge to complete this task.
Boats do not have brakes, that being said the steering has to be "FIRST CLASS"...............bail before you hurt yourself or KILL ANOTHER BOATER.....boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedicazador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 11:35pm
as you can see if I have the cable placed in the motor mount, the other I have pretty much put in place under the dash and pull the slack out the back for your enjoyment, lol. I have alot of excess, I'm pretty sure I can fish this in the hull, without binding it but is that typical, and how would it affect the steering?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedicazador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 11:30pm
ok sorry guys, I took some pics, I must apologize the boat is in the process of being fixed so looks shabby but you can see the Steering cables are a bit too long. It is an outboard Mariner 150 On a 95 Bassmaster 180 SV Pro, thanks for your help.

I hope this helps you get a better idea
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 3:29pm
outboard ?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 12:03pm
You'll also have to fill us in on the year and model of boat that you have. 2001 hull models forward use special Correct Craft steering cables (special length and longer throw) and are only available from a dealer. Older boats use the generic cables, though.

If youre talking about control cables, then as long as you can run them without any sharp bends, then a slightly longer cable shouldnt be a problem.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 10:00am
First off Welcome, second off...You gotta help us out a little with your explanation before anybody can make sense of what your trying to do. You say cables as in more than one so there's something wrong there, are you talking about throttle and shift cables maybe? You say your mounting steering cables to the motor but then mention steering gears? Snap some pictures and try to explain it a little clearer and the help will pour in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jedicazador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:31am
Hello, I bought my first boat knowing it needed new steering cables, I went to the closest marine store in my area that is about 1 hour away, and brought the old cables telling him I wanted to buy the replacements.
Long and short of it is the cables came in I picked them up and he told me they are a little long but would work fine, not being any wiser and trusting him I said ok and purchased said cables from him.
well its been a few months and the weather is getting nice, so I got out and started to put them in. I have no problems placing them onto the motor but I have about 18 inches excess prior to mounting the steering gears. My question is, is this normal, I dont want to bend them any and I would like clean lines. Can the cables be installed or are they just too long? If they are too long I'm thinking I might be screwed because of the time it has taken me to install them. I have been very ill and just couldnt get out there. Hope I can use them. Thank you for any info. Oh I have looked back on the old post but havent found anything covering this. Thanks again
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic