NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reinstall Swim Platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reinstall Swim Platform
    Posted: March-21-2009 at 7:54pm
Here are the pics of the platform brackets that I promised you. Let me know if you need something in particular.

Note: If you notice in the last few pictures, the aftermarket brackets did NOT pick up the factory drilled holes in the platform. No big deal as it's just a few extra holes but letting you guys know anyway.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Last year when I was considering these they were more like $100 each.

Ouch...They must be proud of those brackets. I'm sure they're a quality product, but man, I gotta believe I can make something really similar to work for far less money. Having to buy 4 of those, plus shipping...I would really hate to put close to 10% of the price I paid for the boat just to be able to pull the platform off easily.

Anyone ever made their own? Results?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 8:36pm
Last year when I was considering these they were more like $100 each. As an alternative, I pushed out the back of my garage so I could close the door. Problem solved & now I have more storage space in the winter to boot.

Another thing to consider is that the easier the platform is to remove, the easier it is to steal. That happened to someone on this site recently.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 8:20pm
Okay, I checked and double checked cause your right, that seems cheap for a SET of brackets.

It was .........................$42.25 Ea. (1997 prices)

Sorry Guys!   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

All that for $43? If this is still the same price, boat dr, order me a set exactly like Morfoot's!

If they are that price...sign me up!

Unfortunately I have a feeling they are not so cheap any more...and I would need 4 of them.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 5:55pm
Thanks for the details Morfoot. I'm going to have to double check my measurements (and my math).

I was going to ask about the $43 too... was that per bracket maybe?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 5:28pm
All that for $43? If this is still the same price, boat dr, order me a set exactly like Morfoot's!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 5:01pm
Okay, Got off work a little early so was able to scan and post the "cartoon" that I had. Here is the pic,the rise angle,swing angle, & bracket location for 2001 model Correct Craft's.

EDIT**** No extra charge for the finger scan. I was in a hurry.

Rise Angle Swing Angle     Bracket Location

95 Deg.     07 Deg. Port    Inside Port

95 Deg.     07 Deg. Stab.   Inside Starboard

95 Deg.     24 Deg. Port    Outside Port

95 Deg.     24 Deg. Stab.   Outside Starboard

Hope this gets you in the right direction Ryan and anyone else for that matter.

boat dr. -- may wanna keep this on file yourself if your producing these things. I'll email you the "cartoon" if you need it

Keith:

Let me know if you want the info emailed to you so you can add it to the document section of the site. Also I came across an OLD Pierre & Denise Grimm "Swiss Ski School" brochure that was tucked away in my Owners manual binder if you'd like that too. Maybe some of the guy's attended. I see that they are still around. It's a time capsule in itself.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Hey guys. I guess alloy marine is having problems cause their website is gone. I still have the paperwork that came with the brackets as well as a blueprint of sorts. I'll try to take some pics of the brackets and post them along with the info I got from alloy marine. Maybe its what you guys will need.

Thanks! I'd be very curious about the print details, especially since we have the same year and model boat.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 1:13pm
Hey guys. I guess alloy marine is having problems cause their website is gone. I still have the paperwork that came with the brackets as well as a blueprint of sorts. I'll try to take some pics of the brackets and post them along with the info I got from alloy marine. Maybe its what you guys will need.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

They don't have standard "2001" brackets? I would think this would be one of their top sellers as far as removable brackets go.

I was kind of surprised too. I guess not all the transoms are exactly the same shape, so Billy wanted "transom angle" and "swing" measurements to make sure the platform fits properly and sits level. For my boat, they were about 96 degrees and 4.5 inches respectively.

I'll definitely keep you posted.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 10:40am
Originally posted by the grinch the grinch wrote:

Anyone have a picture of these mentioned quick release brackets?

I sense a welding project in someones mind!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:39am
Anyone have a picture of these mentioned quick release brackets?
It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by ryanowen ryanowen wrote:

...I need to get him some measurements and I'll be good to go. Sure will be nice to easily remove that platform.

They don't have standard "2001" brackets? I would think this would be one of their top sellers as far as removable brackets go.

Let me know how this works out Ryan...I am probably going to follow the same path.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

However, do you really want to take the chance of screwing with the epoxy chemistry by adding your own solvents?

Nope, not even a little bit. I'm no chemist, that's for sure. For the little bit I'm talking about it's hardly worth considering. I guess if I was ordering the stuff in 55 gallon drums on a regular basis, I'd probably put some thought into it though.

As far as the brackets... just got off the horn with Billy. I need to get him some measurements and I'll be good to go. Sure will be nice to easily remove that platform.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 3:38pm

TX, that's an interesting link. I guess they are suggesting that the CPES is overpriced since epoxy is more expensive than the solvents? Am I interpreting this right?

I found it interesting as well and yes I do feel they are suggesting that the CPES is overpriced. However, do you really want to take the chance of screwing with the epoxy chemistry by adding your own solvents? I don't feel it's worth the chance plus you may not know there's a problem until you have many more man hours into your project. Then what do you do? West years ago came out with a major warning stating not to do it. Resin and hardener mix ratios are critical and the reason for the pumps. Adding a solvent by weight or volume is something I wouldn't want to play around with.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 1:19pm
..I need to give Billy a call too. Why can't homebuilders make garages 3 feet deeper.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 11:08am

Thanks, I'll check the site to see if it comes back up. In the meantime, emailed the Dr to see what he has.

He'll have exactly what you need to be using so don't waiste your time any where else. Pretty much everyone here uses Billy for these parts, and we all can't be wrong.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 1:22am
Thanks, I'll check the site to see if it comes back up. In the meantime, emailed the Dr to see what he has.

TX, that's an interesting link. I guess they are suggesting that the CPES is overpriced since epoxy is more expensive than the solvents? Am I interpreting this right?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 7:32pm
The brackets on my platform came from Alloy Marine Products Inc. They were specially made for the 2001 hull so no extra drilling was required. The cost was $43 bucks for the 4 brackets but that was back in 97. I googled em and tried to post a quick link here but the site was down for maintenance. Might want to try it later.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 4:40pm
When I redid the floor in my 85 Centurion, I ran across this site, and they have some info on how to make your own CPES.

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/penetrating4u.html

Very easy, if you have some epoxy laying around then you most likely have the solvent as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Pete,
   And what's in it?

It's a epoxy just like West, Mas or US Composites only with the addition of solvents to reduce its viscosity. (it's like water!) This allows it to really penetrate deep into the wood fiber. When the solvents flash off, it sets up just like a normal epoxy. It makes a excellent base for painting or for epoxy coating. Epoxy coating alone doesn't get in the wood enough and because its brittle will crack at stress points.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 3:32pm
CPES

Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 3:24pm
Ryan, I know 'over budget' all to well...but...if the removable brackets will help you that much I'd consider rice and beans for a week to pay for them. 5200 likes to be permanant!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 3:20pm
Pete,
What does CPES stand for? And what's in it?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 3:18pm
Pete,

Thanks for the link. The price from Jamestown is much better than rotdoctor.com. As far as the quantity, I am also building new wooden seat bases to tack my fancy new skins too. I was thinking about coating those with the same stuff. Last year I hastily made a removable floor piece, so when I re-do that I'll hit that too. Given that, I'll probably need a decent amount.

Morfoot,
About how much do those brackets cost? I'm already over budget, so depending on the cost they might have to wait. They would definitely be ideal though.

Thanks,
Ryan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 2:54pm
Ryan,
Sometimes we need to think outside the Skidim box!! Great company but they don't have everything. The CPES is more of a wood boat/boat building item. Try here: Jamestown distributors

For such a small quantity you will need, you may also want to try a boat supply near you. Small kits are available but will probably be labled as "Git Rot". Pretty much the same stuff.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 2:34pm
Ryan, You may want to check with the boat dr. I believe he can sell you a set of brackets that will make your platform removable. I've got a set ( Not from him) and I'll tell you they work GREAT! Just two thumb srews on the outer brackets and the whole platform slides up and off.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 2:09pm
Pete,

Sounds like a plan. I was going to put an order in at skidim for some spring maintenance items anyway. I didn't see CPES using their search though. Where do you recommend buying this from?

Thanks again!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2009 at 1:44pm
Ryan,
I'd squirt some CPES in the holes with a glue injector. This will firm up the wood you're bolting into. Then use some 5200 (small tubes are available) to bed the brackets. NO silicone!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic