NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Craft Panther?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Craft Panther?
    Posted: April-14-2009 at 1:36am
Looks like not much interest on this one Pete. The pics he added don't look too bad. I would definately give him my last bid on it. We'll see if it comes back again. I think he is probably high on his expectations of the price!
Greg

86 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2009 at 9:28pm
I see the bidding went over the 1K mark. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

I'm giving up trying to get more info from the guy listing it. Once again it seems he doesn't want to give out any more info on the boat. Since he said it wasn't possible to contact the guy who did the repair, I asked him if it was possible to get in touch with the previous owner. One again I got a obscure non related answer: "I got the boat from a man that wanted a fiberglass boat to get away from maintanence,he got it from a man that owed him money.that is the story I got,sorry for the lack of more imf. Thanks Bill"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2009 at 12:30pm
Thanks for digging into this one Pete. It helps all of us novices to learn what we are looking at.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2009 at 11:41am
I've exchanged several emails with the seller and am getting a strong feeling that the seller isn't being entirely truthfull. I keep asking him questions he doesn't answer and simply states he's not a "wood boat guy". On the other hand he has stated that the boat just needs some paint and varnish as well as saying the 3/8 plank overlay on the transom is "fine" and it's just screwed on.

I asked him if there was anyway I could get in touch with the person who did the work on the boat. He's told me that it's not possible and to just email him direct instead of through ebay.

The transom is really bothering me. It would require quite a lot of work to repair correctly. With the overlay water will be forced up between it and the old transom just because of the way it overlaps at the hull bottom and hull side. This is especially true if what the seller states is true that the overlay was simply screwed on rather than being bedded in epoxy or 5200. I think whoever pulls that overlay is going to find a real big mess under it!!

You can see in this picture that the paint is peeling off the transom. That's a good indicator that there is water trapped behind the overlay. It's not from being stored in a damp spot as the seller has stated. Wood boats sit in damp boat houses all the time and have for many years!

The transom repair is certainly do-able. Time more than money. It's the starboard hull side veneer problem that would be difficult. I wouldn't try to "patch" in a layer of face veneer as the seller has stated. I doubt the ply under it is any good. Scarfing in new ply forward a ways would be my choice but then you always have the problem of color matching the stain!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 6:39pm
Greg,(skicat!) I forgot I'm talking to two Gregs!!

Yes on the step pads. They are the universal replacements.

The picture in our ref section is of the Panther - none of the Compact. Both however are listed in the price sheet. Due to the smaller size of the Compact, the CC chrome tags location may be ok on the engine hatch - then there's the inconsistency problemwe all see!!

For a 62, the seat upholstery may be the original design.

The white instrament dash pod is correct for the Eaton I/O. It came with the engine package.

I know you've been looking for a wood CC. Are you considering this one?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 6:28pm
I saw the Compact Skier on the dash, but didn't see anything but the Panther in our Reference section that looked like that.

1) The step pads are the cheap newer version.
2) The chrome side emblems are on the side of the hull side in the Panther reference pics. These are on the motor cover.
3) The seats appear different.
4) The dash pod looks white, should it be chrome?
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 6:13pm
It's a Compact Skier I/O

Edit: Both the Compact and the Panther had the I/O option. The panther was 2' longer.

Greg,
Your #1 and #2 links are the same boat. I exchanged a few emails with Bill Boemn when he had it up for sale on ebay and then with "great trumpet" when he was working on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 6:12pm
Greg,
I emailed the seller to see if he has anymore info on the engine and if he himself did the transom "repair". I'll see what he says. Most likely the engine is ether a 144/85HP or the 170/100HP. I asked him if the engine was tagged with the HP.

Putting a value on that boat is tough. On one hand it is very unusual and on the other hand it's got that Eaton outdrive that most know is problematic! Then, the fact is that no one who is into antique and classic boats recognizes a CC as a "collector" - yet!! Last, a wood boat type will spot that transom job right away as being a "quick and dirty" like I did.

Unless his reserve is way down around 2.5K, I'll say it won't sell! I've seen so many of these boats come out of the barn and the seller thinks he's sitting on a gold mine!!

What else did you spot regarding changes or not original? I was concentrating on the pictures showing the transom!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:54pm
If you look at the reference material, they made an inboard & in/outboard
Greg

86 BFN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:52pm
There's 1 Panther in the diaries, but it doesn't look like this one.

Oops, 2   

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:44pm
Pete,

With the botched fix on the transom & the few other changes I can see form original, what is something like that one worth. He doesn't have any pics of the motor area. Wonder if there is a reason?
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Twin Disc mechanicals i rebuilt over the years....the ones they used in the landing craft at Normandy

From what I understand they were pretty tough! Graymarine diesels hooked up to them and capable of full rpm forward to reverse shifts! (or at least until they we off the beach!!)

Regarding the outdrives plugged into a B/W, I'm not familier with them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:10pm
Pete if you knew how many Twin Disc mechanicals i rebuilt over the years....the ones they used in the landing craft at Normandy
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 12:09pm
whats it got to do with being old? many moons ago Pete from that point out i refused to work on them.
I can remeber some plug in Borg warners with out drives (not the TR's) the were real POS's, the tranny's were nothing but problems,and a drive was plugged into them they use them in older CC's .
re-fresh my memory
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 11:28am
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

First one of these I have seen.

CC Panther?

Interesting boat!! Besides the catalog pictures, it's the first one I've seen too. Looks to be in pretty decent shape but only a up close inspection will really tell the truth. That aft starboard delamination is concerning. Problems like that are always deeper than what they apear to be. Water has gotten behind and into the ply causing the outer veneer bond to fail. Looking at that picture I'd say it was due to the repair to the boat 10 years ago. The transom has been overlaid with solid wood (see the seam fracture between the planks). You can tell it's a overlay because the deck, hull sides and hull bottom should go over the transom rather than "bump" into the transom wood. This overlay wasn't properly bonded or sealed allowing water to get behind it. The overlay shoudn't have even been done but it was a "quick and dirty" repair.

That's a Eaton outdrive!! One of the first and not the greatest but certainly unique.

Eric, Have you ever had to dig into one? Probably not - you're not that old!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 10:59am
First one of these I have seen.

CC Panther?
Greg

86 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic