Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mildew / Mold clean up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Scott View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mildew / Mold clean up
    Posted: May-05-2005 at 11:12am
Thanks for the continued advice.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 7:25pm
Tilex mold & mildew will work as well & does'nt seem to affect colored aeras. No matter what takes it off, put some type of protection back asap
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 5:06pm
The marina (White Lake) sells a vinyl treatment that hinders mildew, but it is very expensive. I just rub a little clorox on when I see a spot. Just be careful with clorox near and on stitching, it can cause it to deterioate. There is another product called Duralast, but have not tried it.
Tim D
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 5:05pm
I have had a terrible problem with mildew on my vinyl until last Fall. I found a product called "mildew preventer" made by Clorox, or 409, or one of the big manufacturers. You apply it like armor-all. I was skeptical about it, but I used it last fall and I have not had ANY mildew this winter. I'll never winterize without it again.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 4:42pm
Really? Armour-All makes mold grow faster? Wow. Who woulda thought? What is best to protect the vinyl seats?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 3:21pm
When you store your boat for winter, don't coat the vinyl down with armour-all. It seems to make mildew grow faster.
Tim D
Scott View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 11:05am
Thanks to all for the continued advice
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2005 at 4:14am
I've always used 10% bleach for mold. Bleach will kill the mold and remove the stains. Spray it on, wait 10 min., rinse it off. Check the solution on a hidden area to make sure it doesn't ruin the color. If 10% bleach fades the color, try 1%. You might also try 3% hydrogen peroxide or Oxyclean but I have no experience with them. Good luck.
Rosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 9:46pm
go to correct craft web site and see good info on interior cleaning methods.Spray Nine Marine cleaner and diluted chlorox.1 to 4 ratio.
1971 Skier holman&moody 1971 Mustang holman&moody
Scott View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 7:35pm
Thought about clorox but was afraid of ruining itmes that have color.....

Thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 3:56pm
chlorox
Tim D
Scott View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 11:50am
Just brought the boat out of winter storage to find several items inside the boat had mildew / mold on them.

Boat was put away dry and we have never had this problem before.

Any secrets out there for killing mold / mildew and or removing the stains from canvas, life vests, ski bags etc?

Thanks for any help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic