Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hull finish

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hull finish
    Posted: May-12-2005 at 2:17pm
I peeled a vinyl graphic and name off my Formula and it had left quite a shadow. I was pretty nervous but went to it with something like 1000 grit and then 1200. After that I did the whole boat with a rotary buffer and compound on a wool pad, then a foam pad and 3m Finesse-it II(?), and finally a coat of wax. It came out looking showroom new with no sign of the old name.
jhlewis10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhlewis10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 2:05pm
I used a product called poli-glow on my 76 century see some before and after pics here.   http://www.pbase.com/jhlewis/boat If your boat can be buffed out go for it. But if its beyond repair or you are just lazy like me try poli-glow. No more waxing ever just a maintence coat once a year. The whole kit cost me $52 I only used 1/2 of it for the whole boat.
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 1:52pm
I to would like to shine my boat up (1980 barefoot) but am worried wet sanding it.

Any ideas how long it will take to sand the whole boat and the polish etc?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 11:56am
I have a 75 Tique I picked up last year. The original finish is actually still quite good; it has a pretty good luster to it. However, it does not shine like new (or relatively new) fiberglass. I tried rubbing compound and wax but that didnt do it. How else can I try to bring it back. I've seen references to wetsanding in this forum, but I fear that would take away what shine there is left. What's the way to go--wet sanding or just more elbow grease or a buffer with compound and wax?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic