NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakeboard Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakeboard Recommendation
    Posted: January-10-2013 at 3:56pm
Larry, Sounds like your son has his head screwed on! Nice work raising him! To think it is 90% owed to your decision to own a CorrectCraft is promising for the rest of us with little ones!
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Shouldn't you be in surgery, anyway? Wayne, I kid cuz I love....Ha!

Cut me some slack (and don't forget I am a state employee), office work this morning (and meeting for promotion process, publish or perish, wish me luck), then clinic, AKA further reaches of all-fire hades, this afternoon.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 2:45pm

PS....going to the lake today. Hopping in the BFN. If my driver isn't too doped up on narcotics from oral surgery, Emily's gonna drive for boarding. Finger's crossed!

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Some of us have to work today, but I have a trip to the lake penciled in for saturday or sunday (73/75)

I am planning to go out this weekend if I can get my driver on board; a little disappointed because the new gloves I got for Christmas are too small and haven't been exchanged yet and I know the water is going to be chilly (low to mid 40's).
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 2:27pm

PS....going to the lake today. Hopping in the BFN. If my driver isn't too doped up on narcotics from oral surgery, Emily's gonna drive for boarding. Finger's crossed!

Some of us have to work today, but I have a trip to the lake penciled in for saturday or sunday (73/75)
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 2:19pm
Shouldn't you be in surgery, anyway? Wayne, I kid cuz I love....Ha!

dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 2:10pm

Remind me not to be the first patient of the day.... LOL!

That's harsh
89 SN
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 2:08pm
Remind me not to be the first patient of the day.... LOL!
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 2:04pm
Wow, sorry to get sucked in. I usually try to remember to be aware of the dates when I look at the site first thing in the morning (I get to work pretty early and get my CCF fix along with my first cup of coffee).

Larry, you are still welcome to drop by any time.
89 SN
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 1:58pm
Very well placed spam on the spammers part, almost not spam. At least he is selling wakeboards and not knock off watches.

I have a Hyperlite Forefront that I'm happy with, although, it may not necessarily be an upgrade for your son's skill level. The bindings were a huge improvement over my old board. Having comfortable feet makes the whole thing a lot more fun.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 1:30pm
Plus an ED too or no?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I am sure Larry appreciates the replies but this post is two and half years old.. I hope he got the kid a board by now.

I was going to say something, but I appreciated the replies.(Besides, look at the last line at the bottom of this post)

Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Update... 2yrs ago, Larry never bought his kid a wakeboard so the kid got depressed and let himself go...

Fortunately, that did not happen. Now at 19

He is still a rider

A periodic slalomer

An occasional drummer

A volunteer fire fighter (something he got into since moving to NC and he has recently completed EMT traiing as well, in addition to being a full time student)

Plus my Number 1 driver.

But now I am feeling guilty, as he has done all that with that same old board. Maybe now it's time for a new one...but hey, in addition to all that, he has a part time job. Let him buy his own board.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 12:41pm
Update... 2yrs ago, Larry never bought his kid a wakeboard so the kid got depressed and let himself go...

Current Pic:

Keep your kids into watersports!lol..

I browse ski it again every other day or so...
http://www.ski-it-again.com/
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 12:16pm
I am sure Larry appreciates the replies but this post is two and half years old.. I hope he got the kid a board by now.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 10:28am
Larry, if you travel a ways east on I-40 on your way home from work one evening, there is an Overton's showroom in Raleigh. The last time I was in there looking for some other things, they seemed to have a pretty good selection of boards on display (probably ramping inventory back up soon). I didn't really talk with them about their trial/loan policy because I was looking to buy used gear (ending up with the HO Burner). Oh, and you can stop by our house on the way
89 SN
henryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 3:34am
I would go with liquid force witness.It is an intermediate board which the beginners love to ride.It is quite lighter and i like to ride it a lot.I would recommend this for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 12:58pm
I have rode Ronix for about three years,,Ronix one is my current board and the rocker is insane...

Great pop off the wake....

I am 230 and ride a 141 board....

Make sure he is getting the correct size or it will feel "bulky"
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2010 at 2:18pm
Liquid Force Witness is a good model. It's a intermediate board the the pros love to ride. The shape hasn't changed in the past three years so finding one two or three years old for cheap and being new is pretty likely. I rode a CWB Pure last year and am on the Witness now. I do like it and it is lighter.
87' 2001
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2010 at 2:54pm
The house has some great deals too.

Here is a hyperlite for $210.
http://www.the-house.com/wkhl42er7zz-hyperlite-era.html

All hyperlites have a lifetime warranty, something I don't think any other company offers. I see Scott Byerly branched out and made his own board company a couple years ago. All of his boards are pricey, but I love the way the "butch" designed boards ride. Hyperlite does still have some "butch" designed boards too though.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2010 at 3:52pm
I have ridden a trip a while back. LF does make good boards. That press for 200 is a good deal. Buying a last year model board is always a way to get a lot more board for the money.   
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 10:06pm
I dont know anything about wakeboards but just found this on Barts:

LF Press
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 2:22pm
+1 for the Witness by the way. Great board, perfect for intermediate riders to progress on.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 4:22am
My son found this site and they have some good deals. He is an intermediate and bought a witness that he is pretty happy with.
woodys garage
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 2:57am

I personally like hyperlite wakeboards. They have the best warranty, and the style of ride fits me best. They really do make great boards, and as a testament of how good they are, I still ride my older Scott Byerly signature model hyperlite and it is still in perfect shape. O brien and other brands seem to show wear much easier than hyperlites IME.

But, you really should try out as many as you can. if you can find a good dealer, go through them to try out a few brands and styles.

As far as the boat set up. I think your hull is like mine on my martinique.   You really need to have a few bigger guys at least sit in back, or do what I did and take the seat bottom out in back, and replace it with a fat sac. It's comfy to sit on as it is, and adds a decent amount of weight. I do have a fly high pole, and that works nicely, but one other thing I have in addition to the fat sac seat bottom of wakeboarding is that my redesigned interior/ flooring is probably 500 lbs more than stock. That really helped too.

This hull is tricky to get right compared to any of the newer wider boats. Even a regular SN with a fly high is a pretty good rig out of the box, and add a few fat sacs and it is really pretty nice. I have been behind newer SANTE's and while those are definitely nice and effortless, there is something crazy and wicked about the wake that the older boats put out when weighted a bit.
rubitlarman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubitlarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 4:19am
I ride a LF Lyman and really love the soft landings it produces, however I do weigh more than your boy would. I had a LF Substance before that which i also loved.
If you wanted to break the mold, you could look at Company
More power is needed till the fear of speed is overcome by the thrill of acceleration
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 1:22am
We tried a few last year, and by far preferred the Hyperlite State. My 20 year old son really liked that board. It is an asymetrical board. One edge is cut slightly different than the other to allow for toe side/heel side strengths/weaknesses. A good all around board. Should be able to find good deals on them too.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 12:12am
You/your son might find this interesting PS3 discussion

Edit: link fixed
rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 2:11pm
I have tried several different boards since I started boarding LF(first board don't remember which one), CWB Absolute(didn't like), Hyperlite Murray, Obrien Vision(oldy but loved it for begginers and to intermediate transition) and now LF Substance. I too prefer LF to all. Although I still have the Obrien Vison that I loved for a continuous rocker board, it is now my "boat board". I ride a LF Substance 138 and will eventually go with a Watson when I feel like spending money on a new board. The PS3 is a nice board also, I think it rides similar to the substance with a little variation. You can get some really good deals out there on 1 or 2 year old new boards. I also second getting some good bindings. Once again I recomend LF. A good set of bindings makes a world of difference once you get to the intermediate stage. The whole 1 in and 1 out landing kept me from riding for a couple of weeks one time due to a sprained ankle. I have a pair of older LF transits ltd(camo) in Large/Narrow that are in good shape, they just need new laces. My feet were always to big for those(my feet would cramp after about 15min) and I finally upgraded last summer.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 11:34am
I've ridden the LF trip, HL Temet (murray), CWB Absolute (04) and upgraded this year to the 09 CWB trancend. I'm a BIG fan of CWB's shapes and the really loved the old Absolute (almost identical to the Pure of the last 2-3 years). I've only had a couple sets on the new Transcend and I really like it so far. You can really tailor the edge/cut with the fin extensions. I like that I can ride them finless and still get a good edge into the wake. If I were to recommend one board from CWB for anyone (not knowing exactly what they liked in a board) it would probably be the Pure. It really was a great board....and its no surprise they're still making it. I would recommend getting some smaller .75" fins (or riding finless) though. The OE fins keep it locked in too much for my taste (or anyone above beginner level).

I haven't tried any of the modern LF boards so I can't comment.

As for deals, he can get the CWBs from West. Or check out boardersmall and evogear for their closeouts. You can also get some good deals from time to time watching boardersbestbuy.com and anothersmokindeal.com
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 10:06am
   I have a Witness and a Watson. Both are great boards but I can't get away from the Witness. That is just a great board. Another one to look at is the Obrien Player. Everyone who rode the Player I had(still have) has liked it, though it's not the lightest board. they can be had very reasonably . The trip is also an excellent board and as someone else mentioned, with closeouts he may be able to get a nice set-up as cheap anywhere else, even with his discount at work. I have seen LF Trip board/binding packages at the Kittery Trading Post(in the winter) for short money.....Like 50-60% off short .
   Check out Border's Mall (Border's Best Buy). Also, if you are not local to a board shop, I see no problem shopping on Flea-Bay, and I've seen some tremendous deals on there.

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 5:09pm
Somebody on this forum recommended the CWB Transcend. I cannot tell you how happy I am with it. I have LF Trip, great board too. The major thing for the Transcaned is the smooth landings, a lot easier on my knees. Also, The board has tons of pops out of the wave. This is a board a almost anybody can ride. You can do anything you want. The bad part, maybe you will have to wait until the winter to get a good price. Usually it retail in the low $400s. I bought a Platimun edition in Jan 09 for $180 off ebay, new one. Definetly is a board he has to put on the try list. Is the one Andrew Attkinson ride but the reason I bought it was mainly for the soft landing. Now, the pop and the air are really impressive. The 2010 mods look like a great improvements. Anyways, this another recommendation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic