Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 Tique-backseat build

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Speednut66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speednut66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 Tique-backseat build
    Posted: September-23-2010 at 12:25pm
Those look great! I wanted to build one for my 77 Nautique this winter. Now I've got some ideas and pictures too. Storage space is at a premium on the older boats for sure.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 6:20pm
Nice, I'll look into them!

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looks great Scott! What did you use for hinges on the seat? I really like the cargo net. Where did you come across that?

I'm going to wait to build the seat cushions until I do the rest of the boat. It's probably going to be grey carpet for now.

Yea it was a st.stl. piano hinge.
I have a fixed pc. of the top with a joint/hinge about 6" from the back.
I think cargo net was from an old SUV (The nets that stretch across the back so things don't fall out when tailgait is opened.) Wallyworld probably has something similiar.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 5:55pm
Get yourself a piece of piano hinge!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 5:36pm
Looks great Scott! What did you use for hinges on the seat? I really like the cargo net. Where did you come across that?

I'm going to wait to build the seat cushions until I do the rest of the boat. It's probably going to be grey carpet for now.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

One concern I have is the lid. Not sure if I want to fasten it or how I would do so. I would think I would want to fasten it with a hinge from the front so when I'm towing down the road it wont fly up. That kind of makes access a little inconvenient. I've also thought of using button snaps, similar to what the middle section of our 96 backseat uses.

Any advice?

Chris,
On mine I have a removable carpeted storage box w/ hinged top.
Then a removable back & seat cushion.

When we were just sking, I'd leave the cushions at the dock.
The carpeted box made a nice little step-up climbing in/out at the transom.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 3:04pm
Ours do the same on the 96, but the center section just sits on top and has 2 snaps on each side to hold it down. I was thinking I could put a snap on each corner and it would hold everything in place.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 2:55pm
Chris, The seats on the 93 flip towards the bow. But then again it's 3 seperate bins, seats.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 2:41pm
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll give the biscuits a shot, never used them before tho. I've got more CPES and epoxy on the way and plenty of gorilla glue in the warehouse.

One concern I have is the lid. Not sure if I want to fasten it or how I would do so. I would think I would want to fasten it with a hinge from the front so when I'm towing down the road it wont fly up. That kind of makes access a little inconvenient. I've also thought of using button snaps, similar to what the middle section of our 96 backseat uses.

Any advice?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 2:33pm
Great idea. There is no storage on these older boats!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 10:27am
Chris I used bisquits when I built mine in the 81. Really helps line everything up for final assembly.   You could simply cut the bisquits, glue (yes on the polyurethane glue, great stuff)it up and clamp it. Then when the glue is dry hit the corners with epoxy and tape. It will last for ever. And you better cpes the snot out of it, that can be a very wet area back there.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 10:20am
We spent a lot of time in our Ski-tique, thou I don't own it anymore I still love that old boat. The extra storage is nice, much of the time I left the seat out for more room. Will your seat be removable?    
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 8:50am
Chris,
Look'n good! Screws into the edge of ply aren't the greatest but you can use them to pull it all together but glue the joints as well. Use a polyurethane glue such as Elmers Ultra (Same as Gorilla glue but cheaper). Then do epoxy and tape the corners/intersections. Don't forget the CPES!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 2:23am
I decided to make a back seat for the Ski Tique. I had some left over materials at the warehouse and could use the storage in the boat.

Here are some pictures of the initial dry fit. I still need to clean up the edges, sand, and fasten the pieces together. Hopefully I can get everything covered in epoxy and put together before the weekend. Not too sure what I'll cover it with, probably just carpet for now and wait on upholstery till I do the seats and motor box skins.

Any suggestions on fastening everything together? I was thinking pre drill the holes and screw each together, then use cloth on all edges.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic