NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 teardown

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
PicturePat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PicturePat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 teardown
    Posted: August-26-2011 at 3:54pm
This one is all Chris! I just get the sweet job of shooting it - hoping to get some more pics and video posted this weekend!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 3:37pm
Looking good Chris and Pat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 3:37pm
Chris man those are really fast hulls!

nwz hulls are real turtles! lol...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 3:09pm
Thanks guys! We're still messing with some little things before we use it for a whole weekend. It's running great and should be good for a few more MPH!

Hopefully we can get the trans cable adjusted and the rear mounts to break loose and square away alignment tonight. Otherwise it's running pretty dang good right now.

You're right Kap, it was turned around by the PO, not sure why but it's on my to do list.

Should have some video to post before too long. Gotta get some real work done first tho!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by PicturePat PicturePat wrote:

'78 on it's first lake test since rebuild!

question?

isnĀ“t the finger supposed to face forward?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

That last pic gets my vote for a calendar spot!

+1
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:41pm
I know you are pumped! Great job Chris!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 2:03pm
That last pic gets my vote for a calendar spot!
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
PicturePat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PicturePat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 1:57pm
'78 on it's first lake test since rebuild!

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 12:35pm
Tim, my cell service is terrible out at the lake. About 10 minutes into the break in run I saw you left a voicemail, was going to call you back and leave the phone on the swim deck but I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to get through.

Correct on the carb, dist and prop. I'll be really interested to see what this thing does now! And even more with a new prop. I'll be sure to pull numbers once we're out there.

Any advice for a break in procedure on the water?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 12:19pm
Chris, looks like we were playing phone tag last night... I didnt check my VM but glad to hear that all went well! Definitely fill us in on how the boat runs out!

Remind me- youre still running the stock 450cfm Holley, Prestolite dizzy, and 12x14 Federal, right?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 12:16pm
Picked up a filter and 5 more quarts of VR1. Should be able to head back out to the lake around lunch time today and get the oil changed. I want to double check my running gear and then we're ready to hit the water!! I'll be sure to get some performance numbers and video uploaded if we get out on the water!

Picture Pat swears the magic number has been 50 this summer...$50 here, $50 there on little things to keep us on the water. So it's fitting I spend another 50 on an oil change today, right!? Welcome to boating, huh?!

I owe a big thank you to Tim Benjamin, Reid, Pete, Billy, Eric, Steve Workman and everyone who has chimed in on this thread or helped me along the way! Hopefully I won't have too many more questions to bug you with, but I honestly couldn't have done this without your help!!!

Thanks again guys!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 8:37am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 1:57am
Well its taken me almost all summer to get this thing together, back in the boat and to fire, but on the bright side it's now running!!

It took a while to get fuel up to the pump and into the carb. I ended up filling the line from the pump to the carb and then used a mustard bottle to spit fuel into the carb. Once I finally had fuel I was having trouble getting the motor to spin (timing was way too fast). Set to 10 degrees and it started right up and ran smooth as silk.

I had some help from my neighbor who spent 20 years building stock cars and a ski buddy's dad who is pretty savvy. The biggest hold up was me not knowing what the heck I was doing. Pretty scary thought to start this thing up when you've got some $$ tied up and the chance at ruining the cam!

What a thrill to hear her run again. Need to tie up some loose ends and then get a water test done!

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2011 at 12:01am
Waiting for a full report!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2011 at 11:53pm
Great job Chris!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2011 at 11:26pm
Finally running and cam broken in! I've got a video up on Facebook from my phone...headed out to ski then I'll throw one of youtube so I can post here!!

Oil change and I'll be ready for a water test tomorrow!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 10:51am
i recently know of someone that put the pump on the top side of the eccentric and ran the bolts home....wiped the cam
goes in at the bottem and you lift up
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 2:50pm
arm rides on the cam.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 1:47pm
Can anyone tell me if there is a fuel pump rod on this motor or does the arm of the fuel pump simply ride on the cam?

I have all the ignition ready to fire and am getting proper spark but no fuel up to the carb. Fuel filter/Separator is full but nothing in the hard line between the pump and carb.

I didn't crank the motor with the hardline off the pump to see if it was actually pumping fuel, but the hard line was completely dry so I'm guessing it's not pumping anything.

Guessing I didn't install the pump correctly?

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:59pm
Thanks Tim, I put that windshield on last summer since my original was busted up on one side. Side panel wasn't connected to the front so it would flop around if you weren't careful. Couldn't get it back together so I picked this one up from Mike Nunke off his Stang. I'll use some of these parts to make the original complete and then powder coat the whole thing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:53pm
Ha, disregard the last statement in my email! Glad you got the wiring sorted.

Boat is looking good- cant wait to hear how it runs. Did I ever ask what the story is with the older windshield?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:36pm
Well I tracked down the wiring problem last night. Turns out two grounds weren't connected, must have missed them a few weeks ago. Thats sure a good feeling that all the gauges and instruments work properly now.

I was also able to drop in the distributor. Had to roll the motor over to get it to drop in the rest the way and of course, I had to do an 180 after finally getting it to drop down. Don't mind the plug wiring, still need to wrap that up this afternoon.

And Pete told me on the phone to be sure to upload pictures so I won't let him down!

Still need to clean up the carb and get rid of the nasty paint from the PO.

Just another Iowa morning

Guide poles back on this morning as well. I'll grab some black tubing from the nursery when I head back over to the lake.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:29pm
Will do Pete.

Headed out to the lake now, I'll see if I can track this down tonight after I get the distributor dropped in. Hopefully I make some progress tonight!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:24pm
Chris,
Something has changed!!! All the gauges pegging are telling me that!!

Ok, print this out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:10pm
I'd love to see the diagram! I'm sure I've stumbled on it once or twice but don't have it handy.

Nothing was changed, I simply marked all the connections before I pulled everything and placed them back on when we dropped the motor back in. I didn't get out a volt meter last weekend, should be able to check everything out tonight.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:05pm
Chris,
Were any changes made to the wiring harness/connectors at the engine?

How are you on the volt meter?

And, do you have that wiring diagram I've posted several times? If not, I'll dig it out of my photobucket account again. Not a problem!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 7:53pm
Pete, I figured it has to be something coming from the back of the motor since I haven't touched any of the gauges and they were all functioning properly before I pulled the motor out. I'm thinking there isn't anything being sent to them since that was all pulled off the motor when the rebuild happened.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 7:48pm
Chris,
No relay! Double check all your wiring at the gauges. You should be feeding 12 volts to all of them. Then, from there each will have a "S" terminal meaning the sender. That S terminal/wire goes back to each respective sender. The ground connection at each gauge is simply for the lighting. Since they all peg, I have a feeling you have the two mixed up (sender and ground)

You do have a wiring diagram correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 7:37pm
Where does time go?

I had plans to get it running last weekend but a fever of 102 on friday put me under the weather most the weekend and changed those plans quickly. I'm hoping to get this thing started this week, but still have a few odds and ends to wrap up.

I finished up all the wiring this weekend and was able to bump it over once just to see if everything was connected properly.

I must have a bad connection somewhere as I don't have any reads from the gauges. When I turn the ignition to run a few gauges peg but I have no accessories (lights, horn, blower, bilge pump)

Any thoughts? I am guessing it has to be somewhere on the back of the motor, maybe a relay of some kind

Going to drop in the dist tonight and get the plug wires done with the intention of breaking in the cam this week at some point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic