NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuffing Box Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuffing Box Question
    Posted: July-08-2005 at 5:31pm
Well, that is the problem with the written work, hard to impart inflection and tone. I was not trying to cut down the boat, just trying for a bit of humor. Oh well, maybe time it will work better.
Cariboo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cariboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 5:12pm
Well said,all is good.Take care and I will let ya know how this newbie made out.
OUT!
Cariboo
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 5:01pm
Cariboo, Hey don't take it personal. Lighten up a wee bit. Let us know how it comes out. Master "Crap", "Mooabu", "Stinker", and Correct "Crap" are all looked down upon by the competition and owners of the other boats. We cut each other down all the time but our love of the sport is what joins us together. You obviously looked us up cause we've been around for a while and will even help an owner of a Ski Brendella cause we can all learn from each other. Remember "A stupid question is one that isn't asked."
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Cariboo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cariboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 4:36pm
Gentlemen,thanks again for your assistance.An inferior boat? Maybe,but does it really matter? The main point is we are all on the water enjoying the finer things in life....sun,wakes,speed,etc. etc.Take care and I hope I will be able to return the favor.All the best,
Cariboo
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 3:59pm
Cmon now Dave BE NICE !!!!! LOL
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 3:50pm
Aha, there is your problem, you are dealing with an inferior boat. If there is not enough clearance to use a tool to dig the flax out of the cap, then you will have to pull the driveshaft by seperating the coupling from the transmission flange, remove the coupling and hopefully have enough clearance between rudder and prop to pull shaft out enough to get the coupling and cap off the driveshaft. Now if it were a CC it would be much easier and better build...plastic...sheeesh!
Cariboo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cariboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 3:36pm
Thanks to both of you for responding to my question.The boat is a 1993 Ski Brendella pro comp. The nylon nut which screws into the nut attached to the hose only slides up the shaft aprox.1" and then buts up to the flange attached to the transmision.This allows for minimal clearance to remove and install the packing.Therefore,my question is ,how do I get more clearance(not a friction problem as nut slides loosley)? Will I have to remove the shaft from the 4 bolt flange attached to the transmision?
Again,thank you very much for taking the time to assist me.
Cariboo
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 12:34pm
Cariboo:

I am surprised, I have never seen nor heard of a stuffing box being made of plastic (or nylon)...very odd.

So, let's get it fixed for you. If you cannot move the large cap up the shaft, then try to figure out was is obstructing it from sliding. Is there a collar on the shaft as some boats have? If so, loosen the two set screws and slide it up the shaft as well. If not, try Morfoot's suggestion. Once you get it up the shaft, do the following:
1) Dig the old flax (waxed rope) out of the cap with the "booger hook" or dental tools. Careful not to scratch the shaft. You should remove 3 or 4 rings of old flax.
2) Using new flax of proper size (probably 3/16") you neeed to make minimum 3, better 4 seperate rings so that the ends butt tight.
3) Wrap the rings around the shaft with the joints staggered from one another. Push the rings into the cap.
4) Screw the cap onto the shaft log fitting. If you cannot get all four into the cap, then start with three (or even two) and hand tighten the cap on the fitting to compress the flax abit. Then remove and add the other pieces.
5) Tighten the cap just a bit more than hand tight and water test for dripping. You want a few drops every minute or so to keep the stuffing box cool. If need be, tighten until you get just a few drops (or loosen), then safety wire the jamb nut and cap together.

Your rudder stuffing box works the same way, but will probably not have a safety wire as the tiller arm will prevent the cap from completely backing off.

If your stuffing box is indeed nylon, you may want to consider replacing it with Brass (Nibral).

Let us know if you have any specific questions not covered above.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 7:04am
Cariboo, "An ignorant person is one who doesn't take the time or initiative to learn something they know nothing about" Only guess is that friction is involved here. What kind of boat are we talking about here? You mave just have to use a little more "umph" to move it. Try wetting the shaft with water or something to help loosen things up a bit.
Cariboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cariboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 11:19pm
Morfoot,thank you very much for the info. Please excuse my ignorance as I am a first timer on a message board. I have one last question.The nut only slides up the shaft apro.1"which does not give me enough room to get the packing out.Any ideas?

p.s. Dave F , I used the search and the info. in the thread was not specific to my problem.
Have a nice day. Oh I guess I should say nylon not plastic.Sorry for the newbie mistake.

Cariboo
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 12:35pm
A "booger hook"...very funny, I have never heard that term. White plastic?

Wasn't there a recent thread where this exact question was asked just a week or so ago? Do a search.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 7:23am
Cariboo, You'll need to remove the cotter pin or safety wire from the two nuts. The seal is sandwiched between the two. Most seals are a wax impregnated rope. Once you loosen the first nut all the way and slide it up the shaft you should be able to look down and see the seal inside the outer nut. Use a "booger hook" to remove the seal, replace it and reinstall nut. Then resafety. Good to go!
Cariboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cariboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 12:51am
I am trying to repack my stuffing box and I am not sure how to do it. Mine has a 6" black tube attached with 4 hose clamps.Attached to the hose are 2 white plastic nuts (locked together with a cotter pin).The first nut has a spiggot end which is inserted into the hose and clamped with the hose clamp.The second nut is threaded onto this nut. How do I get the packing out? Where is the packing on this type of stuffing box? Please help, I want to take her out this weekend for summer vacation.
A picture would help.

Thanks.....Cariboo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic