Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NO POWER ON TAKE OFF

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NO POWER ON TAKE OFF
    Posted: May-05-2011 at 3:01pm
damn that a very good question i have no idea, i literally just connected the timing light and "lined up " the white lines
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 2:59pm
What did you adjust the timing to?
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 2:51pm
i did not convert it to electronic, it was changed prior to me owning the boat. i checked the accelerator pump and there was a stream of fuel coming through when my friend hit the throttle.
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 2:47pm
the boat was converted to electronic ignition, last season i changed the cap but not the rotor. i adjusted the timing recently and it idled smoother but no luck with the power on take off.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 2:44pm
Did you replace the points, cap, or rotor during your tuneup (hopefully you did)? If so, did you set the dwell/gap on the points, and set the timing afterwards?

It sounds like you might have a timing issue.
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 2:37pm
YES! you hit the nail right on the head. On the top end she runs fine, the low end she has no power on take off, when i start her she will back fire at times. any advice?
Mcrosby33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcrosby33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 2:19pm
Does your boat backfire and sputter a lot if you try and mash it from a dig? And once your up to speed does it run aright or are you still able to sense something is wrong? Also, when you start the boat, does it ever backfire?
Pin it To Win it.
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 12:16am
I did not add any fuel stabilizer but have ran the boat through a fresh tank of gas. Any suggestions or advice will help!!!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 12:06am
Santiago, I sorta ran into this same problem last week when I took mine out for the first time in a month. I DID NOT dump any fuel stabilizer in the tank after the trip to the SJRR. She ran pretty rough for the first 15 mins then cleaned up and ran fine the rest of the weekend. It could have been bad gas but I highly doubt it. Did you run it for a while or shut her down after the initial problem?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 11:04pm
the tach stayed the same on take off, i took her out today checked the accelerator pump and there was a steady stream. but she still lagged and spattered a bit with no initial power on take off.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 9:38am
also, did you see your tach shoot up to higher rpms on power up?
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:48am
You could check the accelerator pump.   With engine off, look down the carb while someone pushes the throttle fwd. You should see a steady stream.

Also check your distributor advance weigjhts to make sure they are free & the springs are in good shape - 1 will be a little loose - normal.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
zx900rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zx900rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2011 at 9:44pm
I am new to this site and a first time owner of a 1982 ski nautique 2001, i have recently done all the regular pre season maintenance ie. impeller, all fluids filters etc. I took her out today and while pulling a skier she had no power to get him out of the water, the power came on once she planed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic