NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holman-Moody

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holman-Moody
    Posted: October-31-2012 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I am curious, this looks to have H/M manifolds, but a it has an engine water pump and different plumbing. Is this a 351 H/M?

Nope, thats a 302 based engine. H-M added the circ pump in late '72 or '73.

The 351w was never offered in the 16'5" hull.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Tim, I think he is indeed talking about the OC as he spent allot of time in the boat when it was there at the SJRR.

Maybe youre right. With the mention of the H-M, and the '73's recent appearance at White Lake, combined with this post might have caused some confusion.

Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

ReidP's Orange Crush, the big winner from the show

A look inside the Orange Crush

I am curious, this looks to have H/M manifolds, but a it has an engine water pump and different plumbing. Is this a 351 H/M?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 1:06pm
Halston,

There is a guy in the Northeast that has a modern fuel injected chevy 330 HP ( ?) in a skylard and he is seeing somethings that he does not like. These things seem to a result of overpowering the hull. I believe it is Peter1234, but I may be wrong.

Donald
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 10:07am
Found your HM and it comes with the Boat

I don't care for the black interior, but I love color of the hull/deck.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 9:32am
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

a big block in a small boat we are definitely on the right path here

I'm not too sure on this one! You need to consider the power to weight ratio as well. I've driven Billy's (Karens) stroker!! I think a great project would be to build up one of the V6's in a Skylark.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 2:39am
Its 11:38 are you sure!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 2:36am
Good idea Dave,think I'll check mine too.I thought everyone had one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 1:47am

Just got done checking to see if my motor was still in my boat....

Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2011 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I know of at least one that's in process, but no one has dropped a high-powered Chevy engine in a vintage Correct Craft... yet.

Based on Larry's stock Tique and Peter1234's stock vortec, Chevies don't need any additional power.

Holman Moody Big Blockhttp://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/2311177307.html

I need to find some money a big block in a small boat we are definitely on the right path here and i didnt know holman moody worked up a big block too. Man so many options
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 1:14pm

I know of at least one that's in process, but no one has dropped a high-powered Chevy engine in a vintage Correct Craft... yet.

Based on Larry's stock Tique and Peter1234's stock vortec, Chevies don't need any additional power.

Holman Moody Big Blockhttp://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/2311177307.html
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 1:12pm

did chevrolet make something other that just a 350 ci or 454BFN engine

In our catagory of boats, OMC marinized the smaller version of the 350 too. It was a 305.

Merc too - I forgot about them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 1:08pm

Yes, i read it. But ford made a "special" or "aftermarket" " HOLMAN-MOODY" did chevrolet make something other that just a 350 ci or 454BFN engine

H-M certainly has some rich racing history, but when it comes to the marine market, not a whole lot separates them from the other marinizers. For the most part, they were using the same long blocks as Interceptor, Conquerer/Crusader, Palmer and Waukesha. Each had their own unique cooling and exhaust systems. H-M's were probably the best looking, and were the loudest (due to their 3" exhaust and aluminum manifolds). Performance wasnt anything over the top, though.

OMC was the biggest marinizer of Chevies in the 70's. They marinized 307's and later, 305's, 350's and 454's. Theyre a bit rare in Correct Crafts, as they were considered the upgraded engine over the Ford at that point- but didnt offer a huge increase in hp or performance (they were generally rated 10-20hp higher than their Ford counterparts). PCM started doing Chevies in the late 70's or early 80's (305, 350, 454).

sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 12:54pm

any other suggestions for a Hot motor i particularly lean toward the bowtie side but i dont know of any marinized chevy

Im not sure if you read my post above, but the H-M's were only rated a handful of hp more than their Interceptor/Conquerer/OMC counterparts- theyre really more sought after for their looks and sound. Any engine (Ford/Chevy/Chrysler) of any marinization can be turned into a hot (high performance) engine if you know what youre doing. [/QUOTE]

Yes, i read it. But ford made a "special" or "aftermarket" " HOLMAN-MOODY" did chevrolet make something other that just a 350 ci or 454BFN engine
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

has anyone found me a Holman - Moody yet ?? any other suggestions for a Hot motor i particularly lean toward the bowtie side but i dont know of any marinized chevy

Halston,
What's the need for the engine? The 77?

Pete, my boat is actually a 76' and no the 351w thats in there now is nice and clean and seems to run fine. Just dealing with a pesky alignment problem right now and its my first go around with that. The HOT motor i am trying to acquire is just a side project. I have alway wanted to build my own motor and see just how fast i can make it. I am not set on any one particular engine i just know i want something different
I want to learn how to file rings down to get the right gap, Install a cam,crank, valves, find the right tuning on a carb. things i have seen done all my life just never hands on did myself because it was always someone else's project. once i build my engine then ill start trying to find something to put in in. it WILL be a CC but ive been thinking about a skylark like Martys with a high horse motor but not sure if it can withstand it. Once again just want to be different
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 11:19am

has anyone found me a Holman - Moody yet ??

Ha, youre going to have to be more patient. Several of us have been searching out H-M parts for a long time.   Ive been slowly collecting pieces for a few years and I still dont have a complete set of parts to bolt a H-M together. If youre going to buy a complete engine, expect to pay big bucks!

any other suggestions for a Hot motor i particularly lean toward the bowtie side but i dont know of any marinized chevy

Im not sure if you read my post above, but the H-M's were only rated a handful of hp more than their Interceptor/Conquerer/OMC counterparts- theyre really more sought after for their looks and sound. Any engine (Ford/Chevy/Chrysler) of any marinization can be turned into a hot (high performance) engine if you know what youre doing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 10:21am

has anyone found me a Holman - Moody yet ?? any other suggestions for a Hot motor i particularly lean toward the bowtie side but i dont know of any marinized chevy

Halston,
What's the need for the engine? The 77?

In the 70's, CC was offering the OMC. They marinized the Chev blocks. It was about a $200 option. They were a tad slower out of the hole but would easily outrun the Fords at WOT. The only problem with them is the RWP they used. NLA and some say not rebuildable but I would question that since bearings and seals are really off the shelf.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 3:22am
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 2:32am

Tim, I think he is indeed talking about the OC as he spent allot of time in the boat when it was there at the SJRR.

Maybe youre right. With the mention of the H-M, and the '73's recent appearance at White Lake, combined with this post might have caused some confusion

I totally agree with Tim. Tim typed what I had been thinking since the first post listing the '73 as the Crush. I know you spent some time in the Crush at the SJRR, but I don't think your brain was working when you typed the "Crush" these past few times. Hoss, you're too young to be losing it yet.

Both are REALLY awesome boats.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 1:41am
hello! thay came in several models, I have 4 separators, 3 witch came with 351,s H/M V drives , 2 still have them in it. also picked up a 71 southwind with the same 351H/M jet drive great motor junk boat, I have looked religiously for H/M parts almost daily very cool parts for the CC fan to come across Good luck. Jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 12:58am
[
[/QUOTE]

Don, those HM parts don't care what size block their bolted to

[/QUOTE]

Ah, I should of thought of that. Both are small blocks.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

One of those 351's would be a nice find to stroke. Most that I have seen are the 302's.

Don, those HM parts don't care what size block their bolted to

Donzi's used HM's too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 8:10pm
Halston,

Some of the bigger size Correct Craft Boats had 351's with the HM packages. I believe they were in some of the Southwinds or some of the V Drive Correct Crafts. However, I am unsure of the models.

One of those 351's would be a nice find to stroke. Most that I have seen are the 302's.

JMO

Donald
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 11:52pm

Orange Smash
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 11:47pm

Thats me in "The Crush" boat i guess i should have elaborated more. My mind goes faster than i type and i forget to write what my thoughts were. The boat in the previous post is reids and it is a 73 mustang with a holman moody "what a coincidence " but my intent is to hop up this boat with a high torque engine with all new 09 "crush" for example parts. Steering wheel,gauges,upholstery , and that nice new swim platform "TEAK" that was just bolted on. I was so impressed by "CRUSH"id like to make a retro version. And yes Joes boat is the most impressive boat i have ever ridden in besides and old SK with about 850hp. Tim Morfoot has me pegged from the work go
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 2:38pm

Maybe youre right. With the mention of the H-M, and the '73's recent appearance at White Lake, combined with this post might have caused some confusion.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 2:27pm
Tim, I think he is indeed talking about the OC as he spent allot of time in the boat when it was there at the SJRR. He was the primary spotter when we were all out behind it for ski runs. (including his wife). I asked him when he got back how he liked it as the previous day he was driving the 76 which owns now and he responded with "Oh yeah I'd love to have a new boat like "The Crush" but can't afford it.

I told Yeargin basically the same thing the night before..... People WANT a Correct Craft because it's the best boat out there but frankly not to many people can afford a new Ski Nautique. They can however afford an older one and who knows...maybe if a young guy like Sweet there who owns an older boat can afford a new SN one day then you've already sold him on the CC brand.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
87MCProstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 1:58pm
Tim,
You are right about sound, my cousin has a H-M in his CC (302) and sounds really bad @$$
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 11:57am

I would like to have a boat somewhere between Reid p orange crush but with the A$$ of JoeNY boat. I think a HM would do the trick with the right parts.

There seems to be some confusion here... youre clearly talking about Reid's '73 Stang (which has a built up H-M good for 59mph, by the way), but this is the second time Ive heard it referred to as the "Orange Crush". It seems someone is confused about the nicknames... the "Crush", as its affectionately called, is not the '73, but instead its modern counterpart (the '09 196 CCF boat). While Joe's boat is the most impressive one Ive driven to date, that '73 Stang goes as good as it looks!

Any motor- Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, of any marinization package- PCM, Waukesha, OMC, Interceptor, H-M, Conquerer/Crusader, Palmer- can be built up to high hp levels and push a small 16' CC to scary speeds. I wouldnt say that any one would have an inherent advantage over another as a starting point. The H-M is a very cool package, and you'll find its probably the most desired engine for boats built in the late 60's and early 70's time period. For that reason, theyre somewhat hard to come by- many people are looking for them, or trying to piece one together (myself included). I'd say its more for the cool factor though (look and sound) rather than any sort of performance reason. Just FYI!
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 11:50am
email sent on the HM thanks ...............Gary S
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2011 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Well here you go,thousand bucks each free boat and trailer to haul them home with too.It's been on before and hasn't even got any bids.

That is perfect i wander if he would just sell the motors and ship them???
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic