Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hard to start, warm after sitting off between sets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard to start, warm after sitting off between sets

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DEF187 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEF187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard to start, warm after sitting off between sets
    Posted: May-05-2013 at 10:45am
Gluvs2brd, yes. It ended up being a timing issue. I had to adjust the timing to 10 degrees BTDC. This fixed the hard to start issue as well as top end speed at WOT. Hope this helps.
Gluvs2brd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gluvs2brd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2013 at 7:45am
Did you ever getmissue resolved? i am having a similiar one,,, thanks
DEF187 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEF187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 2:46am
Not right away but If you crank it a couple of times it will get slower and slower each time. That's what makes me the most nerves out on the water.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 2:21am
After it sits for 15 minutes, does it seem to crank slower?
Tim D
DEF187 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEF187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 1:56am
This might be hard to explain but I'll try my best. I have an 89 sport with a 351w. It has rebuild carburetor, new heads and valve job, hew exhaust manifolds, new distributor, rotor, points, and fuel filter. Things that are ok but could be replaced; plug wires, PCV valve, mechanical fuel pump, fuel sending unit, blower.

The problem; on first crank the boat starts up with one pump of the throttle. After running for a while and the boat is up to temperature if I sit for more than 15-20 minutes it’s very hard to start, to the point where I have to lift the dog house and remove the flame resistor and spray starter fluid in the carburetor and even sometimes that’s not the key. One thing that I have noticed is that if the boat is off for 5-10 minutes with the blower on I have better luck starting it. After sitting for about 45 minutes it starts good as well. It’s that middle ground that is hard. I couple things that are floating around in my head are, fumes. I usually will turn the blower off if I’m going to sit for that amount of time (15-20) and don’t turn it back on? Possibly it’s not getting enough fresh air? Other things would be to start replacing parts (mentioned above) I wanted to get some opinions first. Anything will help, even a “well duh it’s the blower” comment would be fine, just so that I know!   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic