NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

427 side oiler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 427 side oiler
    Posted: October-28-2011 at 11:24am
Google 427 FE. Lot's of interesting reading.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 9:50am
they are workhorses Luch, Clydesdales
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 10:41pm
just saw one of these engines on a boat next to me at a marina while working on a faulty Volvo Penta trim pump, pretty impressive animal, are they any good?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 9:55am
core value, 200.00 a piece, if someone needs one 1800.00 to 3500.00 rebuilt.
Chris Craft used a ton of these tranny's and you have to market them as such. Chris Craft forums possibly, e-bay, all depends what you are looking to get out of them
I have about 6 of them and the wiseman holds out to fetch the big money.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 5:02pm
Eric when is the best time to give you a call. I don't want to tie up your working time. I need to find a home for these transmissions and would like your advice.      
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 9:52am
they are Paragons, 9-43 p-44 depending on the ratio
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 9:38am
Still working to identify the transmision.
Doesn't look like a paragon number.

Only number I can find on the trans (R12339) (JFC)

Head casting numbers   C7JE   8090A

Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 1:40pm
Thanks Riley,
    These were both heat excahnger / closed water cooled systems but the boat was used in fresh water ~ just down river from Richmond Va.

I'll head over to network54 and do some digging.

Found this comment ~ 8^)
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/message/1058122657/Jewels+of+the+Nile+%28or+any+waterway%29
Jewels of the Nile (or any waterway)
July 13 2003 at 11:57 AM
bb   (Login qikbbstang)
Members

Response to Even fresh water can be a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A closed loop Marine block is I believe generally a deal since it rarely sees high RPM (yachts did not see any more then 4000 for the most part and spent 98% of their running time at or below 3000.). A 427 from a boat did not see high valve spring pressures (ever seen worn out lifter bores on a 427?) nor the abuse (explosions etc) so common to auto high perf engines. As an extra bonus the block has seen numerous heat cycles and is aged well.
Michael ....    

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 1:23pm
Were they sunk in fresh or salt water? The marine engines typically are cast as side oilers, but drilled as top oilers, so aren't really side oilers, but they are popular with the car guys anyways. Check this web site out. Tons of FE info on it. If you take the casting numbers off the block and and off the heads and do a search on the web site, you'll likely come up with tons of info on what you have. Those look like early 60's engines based on the valve covers.http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 1:07pm
Drive pic ~ no numbers yet ~ maybe today after work.

Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 1:05pm
a few cell phone pics ~

Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 3:15pm
Yes 2 -drives too.

Everything is amazingly good for being submerged.

Drive Numbers and pics on Monday gotta leave and make a 150 mile drive to a family stew with wifeys family.
Michael ....    

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 11:15am
300 horse 300 lb ft of torque
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 11:14am
or find some Cobra forums, I would bet there were some Paragan p-44s hanging on the back of those engines, those to have value...get the numbers off of them and post, they at least have good core value and i can point you to a few shops that may want them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 11:12am
Evil Pay, a rebuilt one ready to roll will bring 7 to 10k
the Cobra guys suck them up
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2011 at 7:49pm
Pickleing currently in progress ~ ~

Pics coming soon

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

...if it were me, i would check that Chris for some 427 side oilers, they bring all the money.. they shouldnt be rotted sitting under water, pull em and pickle them....even a bare block will bring coin

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

they bring about 5k apiece to the right guy
Michael ....    

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2011 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Whitfield Whitfield wrote:

http://www.nautiqueowners.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17666&PID=300350#300350     

Long story short ~ this boat didn't float for more then a few hrs and remained under water. It did not get salvaged until this morning. Now the (2) 427 side oilers are sitting in my friends shop.

Any suggestions on how best to market them.   

Pulling the oil pan the insides are still like new. One engine still had antifreeze in it as both were freshwater cooled.
Michael ....    

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic