NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ACL Reconstruction - No Skiing this Summer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACL Reconstruction - No Skiing this Summer
    Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:27pm
glad recovery is going well!

hang in there!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:18pm
Glad to hear things are going well Keith! Keep up the good work!
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:02pm
ACL Recovery Update:

Looking back through my emails I see some strange typing under my pain med state. That brace pictured is a 6-week brace to protect my new ACL until my muscles develop enough to walk without out it. I will then get a 'sports brace' that I'll ware doing anything sports related for the next two years. No sports actives for another 4-5 months however.

Completely off the pain meds as of Tuesday. Major milestones today: walking with just one crutch; successful fire my quad muscle on command (although very week) and was able to raise my extended leg off the bed for the first time (did it like three times!).

Back to work today as well - working from home until sometime next week.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 2:56pm
Marty,
That will be one of the first things I do, it mount that to the dash!

Thank you so much.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 2:55pm
Hey Marty,
Sorry, I email you. You must not have received it. Yes, the Easter Bunny sent me sweet new name plate for the Sport - which is in-route back to my house as I time this, thanks to my Dad.

Can't wait to see it later tonight!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 10:53am
Keith,
Get Well soon ! Also- Was that ALL the Easter Bunny brought ya? Just checking to make sure he made all his "Deliveries"
Let me know.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:06am
You've got the drill, this stuff they make us do really speeds things up over the olden days (only maybe 20 years ago) when they just put you in a cast.

My doc wouldn't let me get a brace for about 4 months, partly because I had so much swelling they couldn't fit it, partly because he knew me well enough to keep it away from me for a while. Once I was in the brace I used it for around 2 years playing hoop and volleyball, longer for downhill skiing. I loved the feeling of security it gave me and it was pretty comfortable to wear so not a problem.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:01am
Glad things are so far so good Keith. Heal quickly.

-Larry
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 12:40am
Here's my brace - I'll be wearing this for six months.

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 12:34am
Thanks David. I got one of the those when I left the hospital. I use it as prescribed (20 on 30 off) nearly 24 hours a day. I'm also on the CPM a solid 10 hrs per day.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 9:51pm
Good news Keith. Hows the swelling? You might want to look at one of these rigs:

Cryo-cuff

You can probably get one on Amazon. I don't mind sending you mine if you want, haven't used it in years and won't miss it if you return it a year from now. They work well and icing makes a huge difference in keeping swelling down, which is also pretty important when rehab starts.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 9:04pm
Good to hear about all but the pain. Keep healing!

Dave.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 5:50pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 5:38pm
Hey Everyone,
Surgery went very well. Have been home since Tuesday afternoon. Had a pain blocker in my leg which worked great. Wed. at 3:08 it wore off the pain was excruciating! Since then I've getting better each day. Will be 100% off pain meds in another day.

Will post some pictures soon.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
DLloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 3:31am
Tullfooter,

Glad to hear you had a good recovery. Hope mine turns out that good. Just got out of the neck brace after 3 months so Im enjoying the freedom. "Luckily" my injury happened while I was on duty so I get paid to recover.

Kieth,

Hope the recovery is going well.

On a side note..... it was over 80 deg here in central Ca a couple days ago and my boat is 2 1/2 hours away still.

Dave
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by DLloyd DLloyd wrote:

Well on January 1st of this year I was a able to successfully fracture the C7 vertebrae in my neck. I am most likely gonna fully recover (with the help of this wonderfully comfortable neck brace i've had on for the last almost 3 months) and believe me I know how lucky I am to even be walking right now. With all that said, I completely feel for you on missing out on a whole summer of skiing.

Dave

Fractured my C7 when I was 17 years old. Doing a 1-1/2 flip off a trampoline that we had put in lake. Didn't go out far enough and hit perfectly strait in 4' of water. My ankles didn't even hit the water. Luckily, I was in the best shape of my life because of weight lifting for track (shotput/discus). Compressed my C7. Other than limited rotation, I had a full recovery. Scary.
Good luck with your recovery.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 8:58am
I've been away on holiday for the last month and only just saw this thread.

Sending you the best wishes from across the pond and hope everything goes well and you make a speedy recovery. As other have said the Rehab is going to be tough but stick at it and next summer will come quickly.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:26am
Me too....can't wait to hear how it all came out.

Got a great idea...since you can't ski...you need to do a C/CFan tour. Travel around the country and drive for and visit all of us.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 8:36pm
Keith, hope all went well today.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 4:27am
Keith, sorry to hear. I had a similar situation, tore up my knee 11 years ago playing hoop, 1st doctor said just MCL, but my regular doctor diagnosed the torn ACL in 45 seconds. I also had meniscus damage because I went back in and played after the initial ACL tear, the knee pretty much came apart after I jumped and landed. Worst pain of my life.

I had the cadaver graft. My opinion - the skill of the doctor will dictate success more than which graft you use, you need a guy that does hundreds and hundreds of these, sounds like you've got him. The meniscus delays the timeline for getting into heavy PT and weight bearing depending on whether he stitches it down or trims it.

I had a great PT, worked very hard, was playing volleyball (limited role) against doctor's wishes 7 months later, but it took a solid year to feel decently strong. My understanding is the techniques and rehab have improved and shortened that time, so you'll be skiing next winter.

Kevin is right, CTI-2 is a great brace, I liked it better than the lighter, thinner ones because it just seems bulletproof and gave me a lot of confidence. Best of luck with the surgery.

Love the boat!
DLloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 10:03pm
Keith,

As bad as breaking my neck is, I did not need surgery (so far) to fix it and things seem to be healing fine on their own. I've just had to sit at home and do nothing for 3 months(so not fun). I think recovering from surgery is the worst part so I really feel for you. I know 3 people that have torn their ACl's and all have recovered pretty well considering the injury. Heck our DOG has even torn BOTH of her ACL's and you would never know it. True story. I wish you luck in your recovery.

Dave
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 6:05pm
You will go thru a series of braces after surgery. Getting into and out of the boat wearing it is be a chore. Be careful or you might get to go thru it all again!
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 5:24pm
Dave,
Glad you are doing well. Fracturing any vertebrae is sure a scary thing. Puts my knee surgery into perspective.

Had a good visit with the Dr. today. My pre-op PT is working well and I am cleared for surgery. So my date was moved up one week.

The Dr. did confirm that my knee is a mess and I learned the meniscus repair will be a bigger deal than I though. Anyway, Dr. thought that, if all goes as planned, I should be able drive the boat by end of June, which is great news.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
DLloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 2:49pm
I hope I am not hijacking this thread but I finally registered on this site just so i can share how much I feel your pain. So i bought a 95 nautique a the end of last year and was able to take it out twice before putting it away for the winter. Being this is my first boat, summer of 2012 could not come soon enough.

Well on January 1st of this year I was a able to successfully fracture the C7 vertebrae in my neck. I am most likely gonna fully recover (with the help of this wonderfully comfortable neck brace i've had on for the last almost 3 months) and believe me I know how lucky I am to even be walking right now. With all that said, I completely feel for you on missing out on a whole summer of skiing.

I am still looking forward to getting the boat out this summer but wont be getting pulled behind it till probably 2013. Its the driver seat for me.

Dave
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:37pm
Keith I had mine done by the surgery who also does most of our football players in NSW (Rugby League). They recommended the Hamstring tendon method but I have heard that they have lately in some instances gone back to the Patella Tendon. There has been a couple of the synthetic grafts done to Football players in Australia to get them back on the field in 6-8 weeks. Has mainly been performed on players at the end of their careers that have had previous knee reconstructions. They were running out of places to take grafts from.

Mine is still going great I had the inner meniscus removed from the same knee back when I was still playing football in my mid to late twenties. The surgeon who did my reconstruction said I had very good bones as there was no damage to the joint at all.

It seems all PT's have a sadistic streak. At least they also seem to have a good sense of humor.

Steve must be handy having your PT on call 24/7.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

except she decided her P.T. was a sadist!

They all are! I married an O.T. between the stories from work, and when she goes into clinical mode at home...
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:41pm
Keith, my wife's surgeon used her hamstring as the donor. She had no problems with her recovery, except she decided her P.T. was a sadist!
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:14pm
I went to one surgeon who recommend cadaver but meeting with a new surgeon tomorrow (of which I already have a surgery date) who is the team doctor for Red Sox, Bruins and Patriots. His method is to use your own patella. From what I understand, using your own grafts is the best (strongest) method for returning 100% to highly active sports.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 11:11am
Well Keith, that was interesting even though it sent some "shivers" up my spine! So, are you getting a cadaver replacement or your own? If the cadaver, the first thing that came to my mind was the old Frankenstein movies!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 10:19am
Hey Lewy,
Autograft of my patella tendon.

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic