NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Ski Tique will not crank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Ski Tique will not crank
    Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:40pm
The engine you have is a Mercruiser Blue Water 198
Theres a factory manual for it in the referace section.

It's a reverse rotation engine.

Firing order 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8

The distributor turns the same way r/h or l/h
No timing chain just 2 gears that last about forever.

I had one in a 78 Tique and with the 2 bbl carb it
would run close to 50mph.

I love Tiques, still have the 2 bbl carb, intake, spark
arrester and some other stuff if your interested.

I lived in Pcola til 94. My wifes bro is in Molino
and works @ the Dodge dealership in Milton. - Small World
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 10:48am
If you have fuel and spark, it should run... unless one of the following is true.

1. Spark is happening at the wrong time (wrong firing order, timing is off, etc).

2. Bad gas. If it smells like paint thinner, its bad. Hopefully on a new-to-you boat that has sat for god-knows-how-long, you drained the tank and/or are running directly off of a known-good fuel source.
Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 5:51am
Yea, thats right. If you have fuel, spark and air, you need to make sure that your plug wires are correct(firing order). If it has points, check the dwell. If everything is good, pull your coil wire, and crank it around to TDC, pull the distributor cap and make sure that its not 180 out.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 2:39am
pull the plugs and see if they are wet after you are cranking(flooded).   Also would be good to check ignition timing.   Both a flooded engine and an engine out of time will sound like they are trying to catch, but won't fire.
I suspect that you may be dumping fuel from a stuck float valve in the carb, but I don't really have enough info to say anything for sure... start with the basics, and narrow it down to where the probelm is, fuel, air or spark, then let us know what you find.
chisum5013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chisum5013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:03am
The Carb is spraying fuel, and its getting fire, it will turn over,just will not run. Its sounds so close but will not run for some reason.
Chris C
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:58am
Should have to be in neutral to crank unless you dont have a neutral safety switch.

You say it won't crank but is getting fire (spark?) to the plugs. Did you mean it will crank (turn over) but not fire? If the boat has spark and no fuel I'd look to the fuel pump and carb. Sounds like you are close!
chisum5013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chisum5013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:09am
I just acquired a 1978 ski Tique with a 305 in it this weekend, and it will not crank. It is getting fire all the way to the plugs and is getting fuel to the carb, its sound like it wants to run so bad but will not. I have the shifter off the boat and I am in the process of replacing it. When I got the boat it would not turn over, while trouble shooting I found there was no wire going from the ignition to the starter. I use a jumper and wired it to the ignition switch, only to found out the switch was bad as well. I replaced the switch and got the boat to turn over but will not run. Does the boat have to be in neutral for it to crank? Any all suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.
Chris C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic