NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some Gt-40 engine questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cooperlacy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooperlacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Gt-40 engine questions
    Posted: July-17-2013 at 3:24pm
My 1995 GT-40 does not have the FCC. I think that was added in '96. This means no worries about the small fuel hose cracking that seems very common on newer GT-40 set-ups.

The only fuel filter in the non-FCC GT-40s is an inline hose-barb filter mounted near the port transmission mount. The low pressure and high pressure pumps are also mounted near that location.

Cooper
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 2:23pm
Yes, that is the low pressure pump. There is a strainer inside of it, but not a true filter. The filter is inside the FCC. The strainer can clog up. No, the canister on the pump does not unscrew. You have to take the pump off the engine, remove the hoses and 3 small nuts at the top. Those nuts are on double-ended bolts, so you have to reach under the bracket with a thin 7/16" wrench and hold them while removing the nuts.

The sensor you asked about is a cooling temperature warning switch. Somewhere there should be a green wire that also goes to a similar switch near the oil pressure sender. The switches work in parallel, in other words if either switch closes, the red light on the dashboard should come on. The temperature switches had a high failure rate, and also were set at a temperature pretty close to the normal operating temperature. Some previous owner probably took the wire off of it.

TFI is the ignition module.

Art
"Art"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 1:18pm
That hose is within the Fuel Control Cell Canister. But, I don't think every GT-40 had the FCC. I think it depends on year etc.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 12:40pm
By the way my GT40 doesn't have that little fuel hose that's referenced as sometimes cracking. Is that hose somewhere else?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 12:31pm
Hey Brian, I replaced the two relays and dumped a can of Sea Foam in with a fresh tank of gas. All the hesitation issues went away and it idles strong. The PO didn't use the boat much and I think the fuel was old. I burned through that tank, replaced the fuel filter and have been putting hours on the boat every weekend. In any case it's fixed. Funny how little things can through off the performance of such a big motor.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 12:10pm
Ken, that's awesome you got it fixed. What was the original issue again?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 1:22am
Update - I replaced the two fuel relays. Engine now runs like a top. Have 461 hours on the GT40. Thanks, Mark!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 9:45pm
Ken, the brass fitting in the elbow is the anti siphon valve. It has been known to collect debris and cause fuel supply problems. There are 3 fuel lines on the tank the supply line, return fuel line and the tank vent. The other line in the picture is the return fuel line. Ken there is no pressure on these lines. It is the low pressure side anyway. It is only after the FCC that you have the high pressure 40psi.

Ken hope that ankle is going to be ready for your approaching summer season.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Originally posted by AussieNorts AussieNorts wrote:

In the picture below is this the low pressure fuel pump?

Yes Steve that is the low pressure pump

No filter inside. Never had mine off but there is a small filter screen inside that can be cleaned. No it does not screw off like that. The base is the sealed motor for the pump.

My next question is I identified a sensor I believe on the front of the engine that does not have any connections to it can anyone identify this for me please, see below picture.

That is the temperature gauge sender. Does your gauge work?????

The main fuel filter is inside the FCC. Have been unable to find a OEM one as this was designed by PCM for their FI engines. I put a small inline filter in my fuel line to catch any debris before it gets to the LP pump.
It is a Baldwin 1173 that I buy locally from my filter and bearing supplier.

Which piece should come a part and be cleaned in this photo? Is there a ton of fuel pressure when released? I want to check for sediment in my fuel lines and want to take it from the tank to the engine. Is assume with the ethanol these days everyone's fuel system is wreaking havoc.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 3:28pm
Wow, I had to refresh this thread. Very impressive!
AussieNorts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 11:19pm
Lewy,

Thanks agin for the reply I will look for part numbers on the weekend and hopefully ohm out the sender too if I can get hold of a multi meter. Enjoy the long weekend mate, well it is in Queensland not sure about NSW. Will update the progress when I have it all sorted out.

Steve
Correct craft.....is there any other boat?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2012 at 10:22am
Skidim has both the gauge sender and the SLOW temp switch.

Last week I was trying to get the TFI module locally. I found that the EF-EL 5 litre Ford Falcons used the EEC1V but they only used a distributor mount TFI not the remote mount like on the PCM GT40. The AU Falcon also had the 5 litre Windsor motor but they went to separate coil packs on that model. I ended up ordering a TFI unit from Amazon they have good shipping rates Internationally.

You could try your local Ford dealer and see if they can look up a temperature switch in their documentation for these local model Falcons. I would test the gauge on the water pump sender currently in your engine before I ordered one.

You are after the SLOW switch more than a sender. As the sender mounted where the slow switch is works any way although it may be a different NPT size. Skidim indicates the gauge sender on the circulation pump is 3/8" NPT and the SLOW switch is 1/2" NPT. Check for any Ford part numbers on yours or any other part numbers that may help identify them.

*****EDIT since you don't have the SLOW switch it will be hard to check for any part numbers on that. If I get a chance tomorrow I will check my SLOW temp switch for a part number.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 10:35pm
Lewy,

My boat has been in the contry from new, it was brought in by a dealer in 1997. I did not do the rebuild, I payed someone too much to do it for me. I have done all the other work in the restoration, just not the engine work. I spoke with the boat shop that did the rebuild for me yesterday and they said it would be best to leave the SLOW system bypassed as it may cause issues ,

So I did some more investigation last night and I found the tan wire with black tracer! It was in the wire loom on the other side of the engine. So I believe you may be right that the SLOW temp switch has been swapped for a temp sender. It is a bit of a stretch for the tan wire with black tracer from the computer to reach over to the position of the SLOW temp switch, but I can see how it needs to be wired as long as I have a SLOW temp switch in place and not a sender. I think I should but a new SLOW temp switch and temp sender. Then I need to swap the tan wire to the temp sender, Then the tan wire with the black tracer to be attached to the SLOW temp switch and also attach the green wire to the SLOW temp switch that goes back to the engine warining light
Do you know where I can source the SLOW temp switch and temp sender here in Australia? Thanks again for all you help mate.

Would love to get to Grafton I was in Yamba a couple weekends ago. My missus is from Tamworth, she has family there, they are always telling me to come down, but I would go mad without at least a boat to ride behind as I am from the coast, need a water fix when I can. Tamworth is too far to tow the boat from the Gold Coast.

Steve
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 9:33am
Steve,

Now for a couple of questions.

What is the history of your boat imported recently or been in the country for a while?
Do you know if the SLOW circuit was disabled in the recent rebuild?
Did you do the rebuild and put the motor back in?

I would hook up the temperature gauge wire to the sensor on the water pump that is currently not connected and see if the gauge functions correctly. If it does I think the SLOW temp switch has been replaced by a gauge sender. The difference between a gauge sender and a switch is that the gauge sender resistance will change as the temperature changes with a switch it should go from high resistance to short at around 200F fairly quickly.
Have a good look around the wiring loom and see if the tan wire with black tracer possibly still inside the shielding has been tied back somewhere.
You are welcome to bring it down to Tamworth or maybe we could meet at Grafton. I have a mate going to Grafton for the ski racing this weekend.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 3:57am
Lewy,

Yeah the temperate guage does function correctly, it rises to 160, and when running sits a little below 160. The oil pressure functions correctly also, Just from what I see there is nothing running back from the SLOW temp sensor back to the computer jst on wire going to the guage and thats it. The green wire I have shown inthe pictures is not connected to the SLOW temp guage. I will check the oil SLOW switch tonight again and come back to you. My front temp guage sender just has nothing to it. It is like the SLOW temp switch is being used to send the signal to the guage and nothing else. So I have functioning guages but it looks like the SLOW limp mode system is being bypassed. I do not have anyone even the dealer I trust to fix this issue without charging me for there tech to figure it out. Not sure what I should do. Wish you lived in Queensland mate.

Steve
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 3:36am
Steve just to clarify does you temperature gauge function correctly?

i.e. Does the gauge rise to 160F as the engine warms and then drop down when the engine cools.

Not certain if the gauge sender and SLOW switch have been swapped after looking at mine they look the same and appear to be in correct position.

****Also updated earlier ACT ECT location with picture*****

This picture from gun-driver shows the oil pressure gauge sender and the SLOW oil switch clearly. Bottom right hand corner the blue wire is going to the oil pressure gauge sender the other wire with the shielding is going to the SLOW oil pressure switch.

This is a close up of my SLOW temperature switch with the shielding pulled back

The SLOW oil switch with shielding pulled back.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2012 at 12:03am
Lewy,
thanks again for the reply. So you are saying that the sensor in the temp guage sender position on the front of the engine is the SLOW temperature switch and the sensor in the SLOW temp switch position is the temp sender? So I should switch these or just replace them?

I can see the green wire that needs to be connected to the slow temp switch but the tan with black tracer I can not find at all. I believe the wire running from the sensor that is in the SLOW temp switch position back to the guage should be connected to the temp guage sensor.

I also have the blue wire that runs from the oil pressure guage down to a sensor of some sort at the front port side of the engine, is this the SLOW oil switch?

How should I try and trace the wire from pin 24 on the ECU?

This is sounding like I will have to pay someone to fix for me right?

Steve
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 11:10pm
Steve,
The ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) is located in the inlet manifold towards the front of engine port side not far from the Air Charge Temperature (ACT)sensor. It is a 2 wire sensor that the ECU(computer) uses to modify spark advance and air/fuel ratio.

The SLOW system may have been disabled because one of the sensor(switches) were faulty. They have also swapped the locations of your temperature gauge sensor and the SLOW temperature switch. You will probably need to switch them back to get the wiring loom to fit correctly.

Firstly I would meter the SLOW temp switch and the SLOW oil switch to make sure they are not faulty (with the engine running). They should be either open circuit or a very high resistance when looking for a resistance ohm reading to ground on the engine. If they are not that shows they are faulty and will require replacement.

The SLOW temp switch should have the green wire that goes back to the dash and the tan wire with black tracer connected to its single terminal(as shown on gun-drivers picture). The oil pressure SLOW switch will just have the single tan wire with black tracer.

I doubt if he cut the wire in the loom that gets back to the computer. Having them disconnected is just like the signal from the switch when they are working correctly i.e. not until the temp switch activates (over 200F) or the oil switch (below 5 psi) that the ground signal gets back to the ECU pin 24.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 10:13pm
Lewy,

You also mentioned in that post you directed me too that there are three water temp sensors on the GT-4o engine. I have found two, as you can see in the previous pictures, where is the third located on the engine?

Thanks again

Steve
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 8:52pm
Lewy,

I have looked over the wiring last night and it seems to me and I am not expert on the electrical wiring of this engine that things are not what they should be. I have had the engine rebuilt about 9 months ago, but I have not had it running other than on the hose in the driveway as I have been restoring the boat. The engine runs fine on the hose and the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge works on the dash. I am concerned that someone along the way has bypassed the Limp mode system in my engine, maybe due to problems I am not sure.
What i have noticed is that the SLOW temp switch has only one tan wire(no black tracer) attched to it, the green wire that you mentioned is there but not connected to anything. I chased back both wires to the dash, Tan wire goes direct to the temp gauge, green wire goes to the check engine light. Please see below picture of the SLOW temp switch wiring:

The green wire connects to a darker green wire that when chased back goes to the check engine light please see below picture:

The temp sender has no wire to it at all, see below picture:

I have found, i think a tan coloured wire coming out of the harness that has been cut before it meets the engine see below picture:

I also checked what i believe to be the oile pressure switch, this had a blue wire that ran back to the oil pressure guage in the dash, the other tan wire with black tracer coming from it does not run anywhere it has been taped off.

It seems to me that the SLOW mode system has been bypassed in my engine, not sure why but I would like to have this safety feature operational before I go away with the boat in about five weeks, what are you suggestions guys? Should I just take this to a electrical tech who knows these systems, may be hard to find in Australia, I could try my local dealer but that may hurt the hip pocket. Any suggestions would be an amazing help thankyou

Steve
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 12:23pm
Your correct Lewy.
I didn't look at my boat I was going off the pictures I had. Sorry if that caused any confusion.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 8:31am
Just to clarify wiring colours. The slow sensor wire is tan with a black tracer. The wire to temperature gauge sender is a lighter tan without the black tracer.

Steve the days are warming up 25C-28C but the nights are still down in the single digit C's. The water temp is being held back by these lower overnight temps.

89 Ski

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2012 at 12:40am
Green and tan wire's go to S.L.O.W sensor

Pinkish wire to the water temp sensor
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 7:58pm
Lewy,

Thanks again, I will chase both these issues up. How is Tamworth? is it warming up down there yet?

Steve
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 10:00am
Steve stole this picture from PN. You can see the mesh screen in the half moon style groove.

There was a thread recently where a member did a engine change and the shop wired his temperature sender and the SLOW check engine light temperature switch the wrong way around. It should help you sort out your problem also.

Temperature Senders and Switches

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 2:00am
Lewy,

Thanks for the reply mate. Ok do you know how to clean the screen in the LP pump?

The temp guage does work, I have not had it in the water in a year as I have been restoring it, but will be getting it wet in a few weeks. Before I pulled it apart and had the motor rebuilt the temp guage did work, is it possible to work without that temp guage sender attached? I would not think so right? So should I be looking for a part of the harness that is not attached? Sorry for the newbie questions, but like I said the engines I am learning about. Hope this makes sense.

Let me know what I should look for please Lewy.

Steve
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by AussieNorts AussieNorts wrote:

Yes Steve that is the low pressure pump

No filter inside. Never had mine off but there is a small filter screen inside that can be cleaned. No it does not screw off like that. The base is the sealed motor for the pump.

My next question is I identified a sensor I believe on the front of the engine that does not have any connections to it can anyone identify this for me please, see below picture.

That is the temperature gauge sender. Does your gauge work?????

The main fuel filter is inside the FCC. Have been unable to find a OEM one as this was designed by PCM for their FI engines. I put a small inline filter in my fuel line to catch any debris before it gets to the LP pump.
It is a Baldwin 1173 that I buy locally from my filter and bearing supplier.

89 Ski

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2012 at 8:37pm
Guys,

I have some parts I just need some confirmation with please bear with me as I am familiar with most things on the boat however I am learning with the engine. I wish I had Lewy`s knowledge on these engines. By the way I have the 5.8L gt-40 engine with the FCC in a 1997 Sport

My next question is does this pump have a filter inside? I am trying to source the filter and means of accessing the filter if there is one in this pump please see next picture below

My next question is I identified a sensor I believe on the front of the engine that does not have any connections to it can anyone identify this for me please, see below picture

Here is another picture of a close up of the sensor, see picture below

Any help would be great, Lewy or anyone I hope you can help me out here, just want this boat to run fault free all summer.If there is a filter for the low pressure pump is it available from Nautiqueparts? Or Lewy can I source it here in Australia? All this talk about TFI modules has me worried. I have ordered the code reader that Lewy has suggested on other threads. Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere here before. Thanks again guys.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic