NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Wanted
    Posted: November-02-2012 at 2:08pm
Nothing loads like a 82-89 2001 :). I didn't want a boat that wasn't on the factory trailer. Bow stops are your friend.

All of our new boats ride on Phoenix trailers. They are very nice pieces. The 200's with just a bow roller load very easily and are easy to center. I do caution you tie down the rear becuase they will slide fast in a corner. Can't speak about how they would do on your hull.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 2:01pm
Had Boatmate's been available probably would have gone that route back in 05' however the Eagles have been very good and they are a few less $$$. The tandems are very nice and (4) disc brakes on a trailer make stopping it mostly self reliant.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Timmy, with a colored hull you really want to minimize driving on the trailer as the gel scratches from the carpet are so much more visible then on a white hull, essentially forcing you in deeper so you can float on.

I own a few boats with colored hulls.

Avoiding loading scratches can be tough... not sure I have a good answer for that one. To be able to float the boat onto any trailer, youre going to have to put it in much deeper than it was intended. This will inevitably cause loading problems at both the nose and centering the boat on the bunks as you pull out of the water. When using any trailer improperly, youre just going to have to be extra careful not to cause any further damage... like actively centering the boat as you pull out of the water to make sure it doesnt end up on a fender. Theres nothing really inherently different about the way CC trailers load- I think youre going to have to do this regardless of trailer brand if youre putting it in way too deep. A '90-92 trailer may be a consideration though- the boat sits just above the fenders instead of between them, so they'd never interfere, even if you came up crooked.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The Boatmates are nice. They're probably not all too narrow, and most of the "problem" has to do with how narrow the stern of the boat really is.

Yeah the 93 is much narrower than ours so that may have something to do with it but set the trailer too deep and the bow floats above the forward bunks so you lose the self-centering and you're screwed no matter what boat you've got. Here's all I can find on Todd's trailer, Boatmate for his 93 ski with the bow stop

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 1:23pm
The Boatmates are nice. They're probably not all too narrow, and most of the "problem" has to do with how narrow the stern of the boat really is.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 1:14pm
To clarify, the rubber bow stop reeks havoc on the rub rail and tears up the pinstripe tape. If the boat is tight to the stop, when launching/reversing the bow drops as the stern raises and it will just about rip the rub rail off. When retrieving unless the ramp has almost no slope to it the rub rail ends up at or below the stop, you need to inch trailer forward until the bow raises enough to get over it and crank it the rest of the way up. On the upside, it wont tear up your cover or prevent its installation like the carpeted bow stops do.

Timmy, with a colored hull you really want to minimize driving on the trailer as the gel scratches from the carpet are so much more visible then on a white hull, essentially forcing you in deeper so you can float on.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 12:52pm
Here's a picture of our boatmate. Right behind the trailer queen,   I mean Model, you can see the forward vee bunks. These center the boat perfect every time. Also looking at the prop guard there seems to be plenty of room but in any case it doesn't matter because the vee bunks center the boat every time. You can also see the bunks on the orange boatmate. I don't have any complaints.

Todd has the same trailer as ours but with bow stops and he hates them. The key again is not to sink the trailer too deep.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Totally agree with Chuck on this one, had the same issues with the boat he is having

Then you probably had the trailer too deep as well!    The tops of the fenders should be above the water- there really should be no way to end up on top of them.

Chuck, if you do end up going through with a new trailer purchase, drop me a line... I may be interested in your old one. TRBenj@gmail.com
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 12:38pm
Totally agree with Chuck on this one, had the same issues with the boat he is having except the bow stop, have had both and the rollers are awful. Maybe someone could find a pic of Todd's 93' on the Boatmate he had built, super nice setup, assuming you could get one with a wider prop guard.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 12:18pm
You could get a Boatmate but its going to cost you in prop repair. The guard isn't wide enough.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 12:17pm
Chuck,
Hope all is well... Keep that killer/rare boat on a CC trailer !!! make adjustments to the guide poles if anything to help with loading.. I agree, I think you are keeping the trailer to deep.... Refurb the trailer you have. You'll thank yourself in the end...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 12:10pm
I am not aware of a trailer design that centers the boat any more effectively than the CC/Ramlin wishbone style. If youre ending up on top of a fender on a 1993+ trailer (where the boat sits between them) then it sounds like you have the trailer too deep.

I disagree on the turnbuckle vs. winch and bowstop vs. roller as well... but I suppose those could be partially due to user preference? Personally, I think the CC trailers are the easiest to load out of all the ones Ive owned. Bunk vs. hull fitment, maybe not so much... but nothing else looks quite right under a Correct Craft, IMHO.
chuckburnside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckburnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2012 at 11:23am
I can only speak to the trailer that I have. The design is not self centering. The boat ends up on one fender or the other, especially when river currents are involved. Steep ramps become more problematic also because you can not see the location of the boat to the trailer.

The shackle system vs a winch is not user friendly. The carpeted bumper "wall" is not as effective as a rubber wheel stop.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by chuckburnside chuckburnside wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply and details. As you probably guessed, I'm not happy with the Correct Craft trailer format so, won't be moving forward on this specific trailer.

Why, fill us in on what the problem is!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckburnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 2:44pm
Thanks for the quick reply and details. As you probably guessed, I'm not happy with the Correct Craft trailer format so, won't be moving forward on this specific trailer.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 2:18pm
Pictures of the Trailer noted above:

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 2:13pm
Chuck,

Correct Craft built their own trailers until the mid 90's some time, they sold that portion of MFR' to Ram-Lin, so they are essentially the same trailer as what you have.

If you click on the thread above and scroll thru it there are pictures of the trailer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckburnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 1:44pm
Hi, I'm not familiar with the Ram-Lin trailer. Is it possible that you could send a couple pictures? I am not in a hurry, so June would be fine.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 1:30am
PS... I'm gonna drive to visit Quinner in Chicago in June....if that helps!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2012 at 1:27am
Originally posted by chuckburnside chuckburnside wrote:

Looking for a trailer for a 1993 style Ski Nautique.

Have you seen this thread?

1999 Ram-Lin Trailer for Sale - SC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckburnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 7:16pm
Hi Chris,

Yes, it is. Time to ge trid of the Correct Craft trailer.

Thanks,
Chuck
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 6:21pm
Hey Chuck, hope all is well!!

Is this a replacement for the Wineberry color Boat??

CQ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckburnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2012 at 4:46pm
Looking for a trailer for a 1993 style Ski Nautique.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic