NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GM 350 Oil Pan

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GM 350 Oil Pan
    Posted: May-03-2013 at 11:34pm
When looking at auto pans for chevy look for corvette pans. They drop the oil from the bottom and are plus on capacity. Vic...;-)
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 3:25pm
The automotive pan will work just fine. I put an automotive Milodon pan on my rebuild.

There are a couple of caveats that may or may not be a factor for you though......

I have a book that says a standard SBC marine pan is 6 qt. capacity. I cannot verify this for sure, however my new automotive pan when laid side-by-side the marine pan was indeed about a half inch shorter which would indicate smaller capacity (the new MIlodon pan specified 5 qt. capacity). I never had to put 6 qts. in my engine prior to the rebuild to fill it up so I never quite understood that capacity reference. The book itself is very good and informative otherwise. The difference in the height of the two pans could very well be justified in the construction differences. I also ended up installing a new dipstick so I could not verify the difference in capacity from old to new after the install.
You still need to pay attention to this height detail. A height difference between the old and new pan (either higher or lower) could cause a problem with the depth of the oil pump pickup tube. A shorter pan might not allow you to install it without shortening the tube. A deeper pan might starve it for oil if the tube isn't lengthened. MEASURE ACCORDINGLY!!!!!!

Another thing is that a factory marine SBC oil pan has the drain in the middle (centerline) of the pan. A factory automotive pan has the drain on the side of the pan. My original pan did indeed have the drain in the middle of the pan so at least one of the authors facts were correct. This might be a concern when it comes time to do your first oil change and you can't get to the drain plug like you used to.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 2:03pm
Wondering if anyone knows if an automotive oil pan can be used on the GM/Chevy 350 marine engines?
The one at SkiDim is $250 and the automotive pans are more like $50 or less. They don't provide part numbers or good images at SkiDim so I can't tell for sure, but the pics of automotive pans on eBay look very similar.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic