Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carb??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb??
    Posted: June-16-2013 at 6:42pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKMhRmNw6vM

You can hear the belts slip after the throttle snap. I rarely snap the throttle in use so its not an issue at this point. I did pick up a nice tappet on start up but it calmed down after it warmed up a bit. That has me scratching my head a little because when I ran it last couple times it has been butter smooth. I will pull the heads this winter but please make it through the summer...

G$
"Hit it"
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 6:35pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42UkXOPpN6k

New carb seems to be working out ok... Had to bring the idle down a hair but waiting for this heat to calm down a bit and just maybe get my first tug in tonight.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
G$
"Hit it"
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 8:48pm
Carb showed yesterday..10 days from order to shipment and a couple to get here. Gonna install later tonight then maybe a first tow tmr?

Pics to come
G$
"Hit it"
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 10:58pm
Ordered new carb Tuesday from recommended link. Took three minutes..

Thank you
G$
"Hit it"
catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

As a strange side note for marine carb vs. auto carb. When I bought my '76 SN 2 years ago I had a high idle that I couldn't adjust. While fiddling with carb I became concerned bc there was no J tubes. So I called Holley and surprisingly I got a human right away. I told them I had a 4bbl Holley but was not sure as to the application and had them cross reference the numbers. They came back and said it was a '73 ford marine carb. So I asked about the lack of j tubes and they said j tubes weren't required then. I'm willing to bet if a boat has straight tubes its an auto carb, especially with a modern one like yours. but according to Holley that's not always the case.

That's pretty interesting! Thanks for sharing.
1987 MC ProStar 190
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 7:24pm
As a strange side note for marine carb vs. auto carb. When I bought my '76 SN 2 years ago I had a high idle that I couldn't adjust. While fiddling with carb I became concerned bc there was no J tubes. So I called Holley and surprisingly I got a human right away. I told them I had a 4bbl Holley but was not sure as to the application and had them cross reference the numbers. They came back and said it was a '73 ford marine carb. So I asked about the lack of j tubes and they said j tubes weren't required then. I'm willing to bet if a boat has straight tubes its an auto carb, especially with a modern one like yours. but according to Holley that's not always the case.
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 3:33pm
I got a nice suprise while cleaning debri from the open areas in the rear gunell..broken chunks of glass bottles! I got lucky only a flesh wound. Things I still need to do, I would like to get the horn working and the running lights. Then I would like to make some gunell seats (Malibu did some in the mid 90s) the previous owner clear coated the swim step not sure if it will be to slippery. Beyond that a skylon and a bimini top...

G$
"Hit it"
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 3:27pm
"Hit it"
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 3:17pm

another
"Hit it"
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 3:04pm

lets see what pops up here..
"Hit it"
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

the good people at national carb make is just too easy to get the correct carb on there with a warranty for under 3 bills.

Throw that old one on craigslist for beer money.

Thank you for that link...I worked on her all day. Started with the easy stuff got the blower going, the bilge working. Rewired some sloppy stuff behind the dash. Then went at the carb..JUNK. I will order up on Tuesday.. Its the right thing to do I was just hoping to get wet on the long weekend. I took some pics and will post when not on my phone..
Thanks everybody
G$

Enjoy our blessings this weekend
"Hit it"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 12:33pm
the good people at national carb make is just too easy to get the correct carb on there with a warranty for under 3 bills.

Throw that old one on craigslist for beer money.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 11:53am
Lets simplify things...

G, You planning on putting any kids in the boat? Best safety-up.

Best get the right carb, this one is already puking fuel and you've seen your boat on fire before. Luck is not a plan...

Guaranteed its not jetted right and the primary metering block is wrong too.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 1:34am
Good on ya for throwing up pictures with the opening post (which really help) but you're not going to get far on these forums disregarding USCGA safety regulations.

Nice looking Supereme, you're not the only one. More pics please!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 10:09pm
Hey Gary,
If you had a boat that has caught fire before, you should know better than anybody else that an ounce of prevention doesn't have a price tag.

Marine carbs have splined and sealed throttle plate shafts that prevent fuel leaks in addition to the J-tubes. Marine carbs are also jetted differently than their automotive counterparts. Auto carbs will run on a boat but it doesn't mean that they're right.

Do you know what the CFM rating is that carb? I would think that somebody removed the vent tube from that carb because it was too tall to fit under the flame arrestor.

I would suggest that you spend the money for a USCG approved carb.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 9:26pm
Wow,, thanks to both. I will check the float level and before carb replacement 619.00 I will try the 7.99 add on J tubes. My first boat a 78 CC used to catch on fire, I would prefer to skip that kind of excitment. I will keep you updated on my progress.

thank you
G$
"Hit it"
Bilgewiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilgewiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 8:46pm
yep I type too slow....81Nautique beat me to it
Bilgewiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilgewiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 8:44pm
My non expert opinion is the float sank or is stuck open. The fallowing won't effect or fix your problem but there Should be a J-tube in that hole that would dump fuel into the engine instead of the big fire hazard when it's missing or probably it's a non-marine carb. (J-tube can be bought separately).
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 8:43pm
your problem is most likely your primary float is too low, that's the good news. The bad news is you don't have j tube vents and you have an externally adjustable float, all signs of a non Mairine rated carb. Before I rebuilt that I would replace it with the correct carb.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 8:07pm
"Hit it"
Gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 7:37pm
OK, first off full disclosure this is not a CC but a 1984 ski centurion. I picked it up last week and she fires right up but as soon as she idles down she quits and I can not get her refired. So 351, 1003 hours volley carb with electric choke ( disconnected). After bringing her home from a failed attempt at maiden this morning. I find that I have fuel gurgling from a port just I'm front of choke butterfly. Fuel dumps she's goes rich and floods. Rebuild?

Thanks
G$
"Hit it"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic