NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotate prop in gear?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotate prop in gear?
    Posted: May-20-2013 at 12:42pm
That's why they call it a "velvet drive" because it is so smooth, compared to your friends I/O with the mechanical gear box that sounds like the whole transmission is falling out every time you shift in or out of neutral.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 12:28pm
And thats why I love this site I have an answer within 5 minutes of posting. Thanks!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 12:23pm
No. Its a hydraulic clutch, not a mechanical one, so there is fluid that has to be pumped for the trans to go into gear. Without it turning, the fluid is not pumped, so its just like being in neutral.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 12:19pm
I had a quick question as I'm still learning about my 83 SN.

If I put the boat in Forward or Reverse with the engine not running, should you be able to turn the propeller easily?

Shouldn't the clutch plates be connected to the engine and not allow rotation?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic