NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM351 won't start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM351 won't start
    Posted: May-22-2013 at 12:31am
Quinner recommended a local mechanic in Lake Villa, IL-- Todd of Performance Auto,Repair came over and figured out immediately what was up. Bad igniter module from Pertronix. If your engine dies with their system and you don't turn off the ignition immediately, the igniter burns up. In my case this took 5 to 10 minutes. I ordered a replacement from Skidim.

Thanks for the referral, Quinner. What a friend you have been!
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 6:18pm
Today I bought a VOM-- coil is fine, still so start. Im at a loss. New Cap, Rotor, wires, plugs, fuel pump, all last season and boat ran pretty good. Im going to check for spark the old fashioned way next by pulling a wire and looking for the arc while cranking.

Is there a way to test the Pertronix pickup? Vince at Skidim says leaving the ignition on for awhile (10 minutes in this case) can be very hard on the system. I just need to know if there is a way to check the pickup. How frustrating.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 10:35am
I ordered the carb from Skidim. Yes, I'm on the same lake as Quinner.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 7:58am
Peter,
Hopefully you aren't on the same lake as CQ (Chris Quinn)!

When you ordered the carb, did you order the exact same? There are some minor changes done to them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 12:37am
A new carb is a faster solution.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

replacement carb is coming soon.

Why not rebuild your carb?
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 11:24pm
I forgot to mention the ignition system was fixed last year with some help from Vince at Skidim who helped me obtain a Pertronix part directly from the OEM (which Pertronix supplied at no charge!). Boat engine has 579 hours, and replacement carb is coming soon.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 11:17pm
My 88 Supra won't fire up. It stalled a few times at idle, and the last time it stalled I could not get to the ignition switch to turn the switch off for about 10 minutes. Coil was very hot, no spark and would not start even with a kick of ether. Fuel is going in when throttling. It's been running in its own normal way so far, but idle has been crappy at start, and starts have been needing more cranking when warm than I Ike.

I suspect a bad coil, but have no VOM handy. Coil is a high performance coil, electronic ignition (Pertronix) but the coil is laying on its side. I've heard that's a no-no, also heard one needs a non-resistive coil with electronic ignition since there are no points to preserve.

Any thoughts from you folks out there with lots more experience?
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic