NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running lean - Clean the jet?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running lean - Clean the jet?
    Posted: May-28-2013 at 12:20am
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 9:10pm
All good. Took apart and found a small tiny piece of old gasket clogging the acc hole to or from the metering block. Put back together, adjusted the idle screws and it rocks now. The 3k limit was my brainfart end of day not thinking. The throttle limits this when revving the engine.
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 11:58pm
Thanks for all replies.   I took apart the carb today and found the acc diaphram had a small tear in it on the side. Carb cleaned everything up, new diaphram, new gaskets adjusted the arm so it barley rests on the lever for the acc.   Started right up, but she is rough. I have to monkey with the idle mixture screw after it gets warmed yet. But I noticed when i got past idle.. it would not open up past 3k. Im sure it was loading up, but I shut it down and called it quits for the day.   It was perfectly timed before the rebuild, idled like a champ, top end fine, just the holeshot was messed up because of the bad diaphram.   Holleys drive me nuts.   Love the boat, dislike the Holleys. :)
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 3:47pm
[QUOTE=gun-driver] Very good write up on adjustments.
This got me thinking he could have a small vacuum leak causing the lean condition.
QUOTE]

Vacuum leak would make it run like crap. This is just an off idle stumble.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 2:36pm
Very good write up on adjustments.
This got me thinking he could have a small vacuum leak causing the lean condition.
If you've done every thing above or maybe before you start, spray some starting fluid around the base gasket while it's idleing and see if the idle rises if so you have a leak.
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by tommer12 tommer12 wrote:

Just to make you all even crazier.    The accelerator pump is adjusted for it's largest shot of fuel. And the fact that you can almost completely close the choke with no adverse effect on the way it runs indicates a lean running condition.

What do you mean by adjusted for the largest shot of fuel? What accelerator pump cam are you using? Which hole in cam? What size accelerator pump discharge nozzle? What size accelerator pump? If you really had it set for the largest shot of fuel on a fairly stock engine you'd be getting a terrible rich bog and black smoke every time you punch it... Might even stall depending on displacement, cam, prop/gearing and if you have a double pumper.

What you described initially is a lean stumble, indicating you need more accelerator pump shot. First step is to make sure the discharge nozzles are clean/clear and shooting vigorously straight at the boosters, not dribbling or only shooting one side, etc. Adjust accelerator pump arm just a little tighter than zero lash (I believe you have done this already).

If you can close the choke on a warm engine idling and it runs better then you need to adjust the idle mixture... If still lean then you need to rebuild teh carb as your idle fuel passages in the metering block are likely gummed up and restricted.

Turn idle mixture screws all the way in, lightly seat (do not tighten or you will damage the screw and/or metering block). Set each out 2.5 turns. Start engine at operating temp and if idle is rough, turn both out .5 turns at a time until idle is smooth. Adjust throttle stop screw for desired idle RPM (around 750 in neutral should be good). Turn idle mixture screw in slowly, 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time until engine stumbles (RPM drops), turn screw out 1/4 turn. Repeat for other idle mixture screw. Now check your RPM and adjust the throttle stop screw if RPM has changed from your initial setting. Re-adjust the idle mixture screws again, after each time you change throttle stop screw position. Basically you are adjusting for highest idle RPM/highest vacuum at the throttle stop setting that gives you the desired idle RPM. It is preferable to do this at idle in gear but not necessary, results should be very close. Fine tune in gear if your idle in gear is not as nice as you'd like.

While you're at it set your initial timing and advance curve. A slow or non functional advance will give the same results as a lean stumble on acceleration. It is common on marine distributors for the advance mechanism to become rusty and sticky. Disassemble and clean/lubricate if required.

Increase RPM and watch the timing as you do so. Should be a fairly smooth curve to full timing in around 2500-3000 RPM. Total timing should be around 32*-38*, depending on heads/cam/etc. will dictate where it performs best. 10* initial is pretty safe but if it'll take more initial without detonating or being hard to start (kicking back, slow crank) you can get a little more low RPM performance and a better hole shot. I'm talking like 12*-14* max, since it is a boat and under heavy load all the time. Just be sure you don't have detonation as it'll crack pistons and ring lands. Also make sure you're not getting crazy with total timing, 38* is a lot, 40 or more is just plain too much. If you're not experienced with tuning and listening for detonation, don't push your luck and a curve starting at 10* running up to low or mid 30's will be fine.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 2:57am
Just to make you all even crazier.    The accelerator pump is adjusted for it's largest shot of fuel. And the fact that you can almost completely close the choke with no adverse effect on the way it runs indicates a lean running condition.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I would not adjust it like Holley says. I believe they want .015" (or something like that) clearance between the pump arm and diaphram. I'm just trying to remember right off the top of my head but could be wrong on that clearance.

The Holley stuff isnt clear about that adjustment.. the .015 is when the clearance you should be able to measure while holding the throttle at WOT. IE not bottoming out the pump by a minimum of .015. You have certainly been achieving perfectly acceptable results by taking out all the slop and having a slight preload at the throttle closed position.

Certainly you are correct in saying that .015 clearance with the throttle closed would lead to a stumble.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Doesn't matter. Adjust the pump arm so it's tight against the diaphram. You don't want any slop but don't over adjust either. The key is not having any slop on the pump arm so that virtually any movement of the throttle will give a fuel shot out the squirters but at the same time, there is still some travel left in the diaphram. The diaphram should not be bottomed out at WOT. That will fix your problem.

I had the exact problem as the original poster, and this was the fix. JoeinNY had explained it to me at the 2010 North-East Reunion.

You don't even need to take the carb off, but on mine, I did need two of the same size combination wrench 3/8. I don't remember an easy way to get a socket on there with it on the boat. Good thing is it needs very little torque to adjust.

Exactly Brian, Thanks.
It will take you longer to get the right wrench, crawl into the boat and lift the engine cover than it will to actually make the adjustment.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:35pm
Yes, mines on the the trailer at the ramp, I would think Pete has the sense to lower his to the water in the slip. My neighborhood ramp is cantilevered over a 20 ft drop, I can get on the throttle quite a bit if I want without worrying about tearing up the end.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:34am
I think TXFoilhead was talking about boat/prop in the water at the ramp, but still on the trailer so the boat is pushing against the stationary mass of the truck and trailer.

Doesn't matter. Adjust the pump arm so it's tight against the diaphram. You don't want any slop but don't over adjust either. The key is not having any slop on the pump arm so that virtually any movement of the throttle will give a fuel shot out the squirters but at the same time, there is still some travel left in the diaphram. The diaphram should not be bottomed out at WOT. That will fix your problem.

I had the exact problem as the original poster, and this was the fix. JoeinNY had explained it to me at the 2010 North-East Reunion.

You don't even need to take the carb off, but on mine, I did need two of the same size combination wrench 3/8. I don't remember an easy way to get a socket on there with it on the boat. Good thing is it needs very little torque to adjust.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:12am

In the water under load is actually better, but on the trailer in gear will be ok.   Just dont keep it in gear long.

My err. I assume everyone has their boat in the water!
I'm not ok with this trailer adjustments

The load of the water is very important to the quality of the idle adjustment.

And don't risk the cutlass bearing turning it dry.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 10:29am

Its already adjusted exactly how Holley specs are for it. When I say sloppy, when you move the throttle back and forth, the pressure at full with a feeler gauge, seems sloppy, not tight. Im guessing the diaphram has had seen better days because of the friggin ethanol in California gas.

Tommer,
I would not adjust it like Holley says. I believe they want .015" (or something like that) clearance between the pump arm and diaphram. I'm just trying to remember right off the top of my head but could be wrong on that clearance.

I also don't think you need a to worry about a rebuild. If everything else runs good with the boat, adjuat the pump arm and go have some fun. All of us are exposed to ethanol in our fuel now. It's not just a CA thing. So run some Stabil marine formula in every tank of gas and you'll be fine. Don't worry about a rebuild until it's really time for it.

Let us know how things go for you.

Eddie
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 1:00am
Its already adjusted exactly how Holley specs are for it. When I say sloppy, when you move the throttle back and forth, the pressure at full with a feeler gauge, seems sloppy, not tight. Im guessing the diaphram has had seen better days because of the friggin ethanol in California gas.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:54am
Why do you have to buy an ACC pump have you checked the adjustment?
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:35am
By the time I buy an ACC pump, and if my gaskets break, I might as well just buy the kit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:32am
You don't need a rebuild kit to adjust the acceleration pump or clean/change jets maybe a gasket just in case you tear it. I've done multiple jet changes without having to change gaskets.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:24am
?, the motor doesn't know or care if it moving, it's just turning the prop like its supposed to.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 12:04am
Picking up a rebuild kit tomorrow. The ACC is sloppy as well. So if thats bad, might as pull it apart.   I did all the adjustments in gear and the engine was warmed. In the water under load is actually better, but on the trailer in gear will be ok.   Just dont keep it in gear long.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 8:41pm
I adjust my idle circuit in the boat house slip and dredge some of the sand out at the same time!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 7:58pm
I usually do mine on the trailer at the neighborhood ramp. It's a little sketchy to put it in gear and hop out of the drivers seat, walk back and open the hatch and play with the carb. I haven't noticed any difference in either way.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Are you certain you adjusted the idle circuit IN GEAR? this is critical.
If you did it in nuetral, you will set it too lean and pretty much induce the hesitation you are trying to eliminate.

Wondering, does it make any difference if the boat is moving in gear, or tied to a stationary object that keeps it from moving?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 11:35am
All of Backfoot's advise is right on the mark

Also, Both idle mix screws must be effective, else the metering block is clogged. I concur, if the mains were clogged it would have other syptoms.

Are you certain you adjusted the idle circuit IN GEAR? this is critical.
If you did it in nuetral, you will set it too lean and pretty much induce the hesitation you are trying to eliminate.

If the stumble is right off idle, its ACC pump and/or lean idle mix.

If it leaps then goes a bit flat before pulling hard again., i've found the newer 2.5 PV responsible, and a 5.5 or 6.5 makes it go away.

IF carburation is spot on, sometimes a degree or two more initial is needed to make an off idle stumble go away.

All fuel things correct, If timing is at 8, give 10 initial a try.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 11:02am
Accelerator pump arm has zero slop without bottoming out the pump diaphram? Getting a good squirter shot at the slightest touch of the throttle?

Eddie
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 12:13am
Warmed up and gear idling and mixture to highest RPM is all dialed in exactly and was. Timing is spot on. Fuel filters and separators are clean. Trouble with California gas is that it sucks. My bet is the jets are clogged just enough for it to do this. Otherwise its near perfect. Starts every time one key turn.   
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 11:02pm
Pete's right. You may just need a little tweaking on the accelerator pump.
You should do a little more idle circuit tuning also. Get it warmed up and put it in gear idling and make sure the idle mixture screws are set to give you highest RPM or highest vacuum if you have a vacuum gauge.

Get those two things dialed in and I'll bet your stumble disappears.
Your jets are fine.

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 9:04pm

Drop the hammer and it hesitates which make me thinks the jets are dirty, not getting enough fuel. But if I easy into the RPMs, no issues. Its for sure a fuel delivery problem. Idles great, no top end issues.   Maybe lean is not the correct term, but we think the jets are dirty.   Last rebuild was in 2006.

I think you may want to look to see if your accelerator pump is working in the carb.

BTW, the last rebuild I did on the carb for my Atom was 1985!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 8:02pm
Drop the hammer and it hesitates which make me thinks the jets are dirty, not getting enough fuel. But if I easy into the RPMs, no issues. Its for sure a fuel delivery problem. Idles great, no top end issues.   Maybe lean is not the correct term, but we think the jets are dirty.   Last rebuild was in 2006.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 7:59pm
What makes you think you are running lean?
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 7:35pm
Im running a little lean on the carb and I think my jets are dirty.   Is there a good document out on the internet how to clean or replace my holley jets?    It looks like just simply taking off the bowl and unscrewing the jets. Get a new blue gasket, jets and put it back together.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic