NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans slipping?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans slipping?
    Posted: June-01-2013 at 7:12am
Originally posted by mbshaw88 mbshaw88 wrote:

No I didn't, but I still have it. Replacing the trans cooler is required for the transmission warranty

Matt,
Check it anyway. It would tell you if it was the source of the water but as mentioned, it didn't look like you had very much in the trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2013 at 2:51am
No I didn't, but I still have it. Replacing the trans cooler is required for the transmission warranty
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 9:23pm
Matt,
Did you have the opportunity to pressure check the trans cooler for leaks before you bought a new one?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 8:06pm
This boat has 2000 hours on it and this thing had water sitting in it for years based on the rust penetration.

The clutch was completely worn with the paper material peeled off. It looks like the PO was pretty hard going in to reverse too.

I went with a brand new trans, PCM damper plate, and cooler. I picked up everything today so hopefully I'll be back in the water this weekend.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2013 at 9:33am
there is more to it than just replacing the parts, you must find out why the pack slipped, you can run maple syrup in these tranny's and they wont slip, don't assume the water and oil made it slip because it only looks like you may have only a teaspoon of water in there. btw, those are return springs and not pressure springs lol,
im curious on what you may think made the transmission fail? there is a reason and that's what we need to hear.
do you see those 2 bushings down in the planetary? I call those IRA's, because I have seen at least 30 transmissions that were parts swapped with 400.00 bucks, put back together and got smoked the first run out...So, I would be curious on why the trans failed, there is a reason....IRA meant I could retire on the money that I have made on those 2 dollar bushings, it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad, im just throwing that out there
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 12:53pm
Yeah that’s not the prettiest. You should pull that planetary gear set out and get a look at that, the seals on the back, the bore of the case, etc.   Any of that is buggered up and you might as well forget about that one. Check the condition of pump, and the three bearings, they are replaceable but not cheap.   If not ebasicpower will have the gaskets/seals/clutches/springs for cheap and there is a manual in the reference section. If you have a press and some assorted tooling, good snap ring pliers, and pay attention you should make it.   Although I haven’t seen broken springs before –however it seems if you messed up the reverse clutch plates it could happen easy enough. Take good pictures of that and ask here.

Or I could sell you a freshly rebuilt one..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 12:25pm
Has anyone had problems with the Sachs plates fitting? The shop said they used to use them all the time and then they made some design change where the rivet heads got bigger and now the plate doesn't fit as it should. Anyone know something about this?

Well my transmission must have had water sitting in it for a while. There was a lot of rust build up, and the fluid had that burnt strawberry milkshake color. It also looks like someone replaced the seal before as there's multiple wear locations that are pretty rough.

I'm going to replace the trans cooler if that's where my water has been coming through.

The clutch plates are complete garbage, and a couple pressure springs were broken

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:45pm

the damper plate was held on with 5 bolts rather than 6. It looks like one of the bolts was broken off in the flywheel

So while the trans is getting repaired, I'm going to take the flywheel off and see about getting that bolt drilled out of there. Yes I am absolutely replacing the damper plate.

The good Sachs plates only use 3 bolts. I wouldn't worry about the broken bolt too much.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 11:32am
Well I got the trans and damper plate off last night without any issues. There were a lot of great threads on here that detailed what to do, so it only took us about an hour and half.

There was some trans fluid collecting at the bottom of the bell housing. Also the damper plate was held on with 5 bolts rather than 6. It looks like one of the bolts was broken off in the flywheel

So while the trans is getting repaired, I'm going to take the flywheel off and see about getting that bolt drilled out of there. Yes I am absolutely replacing the damper plate.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 11:02pm
It's worth a try to check cable adjustment, but Pete is right & a rebuild is needed.

There are some threads detailing tranny R & R that you can search for.

One tip is to use a bottle jack under a manifold to support the engine when tranny is out. Just make sure & block it for safety when you have you hands (or feet) in a pinch point.

Someone already mentioned it, but it is important enough to reiterate - put a new damper plate in too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 9:34pm

The only other thing I can think of is if I put the shift lever linkages together incorrectly or with not enough "throw".

I took the gunnel pad off to mount some speaker boxes. In order to take the driver side one off I had to remove the shift lever, which forced me to disassemble all the linkages.

I took pictures and videos took make sure I assembled it correctly. But if the shift lever cable wasn't adjusted, maybe I'm not fully engaging in to the "F" position?

The lever moves as it should, I'm just thinking maybe the threaded adjustment got set so my engagment isn't 100%.

I know I'm probably grasping at straws, but it's worth a look.

The trans is hydraulic. Ether you route oil pressure to the clutch piston or you don't. Mechanical linkage adjustment isn't a factor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 12:56pm
The only other thing I can think of is if I put the shift lever linkages together incorrectly or with not enough "throw".

I took the gunnel pad off to mount some speaker boxes. In order to take the driver side one off I had to remove the shift lever, which forced me to disassemble all the linkages.

I took pictures and videos took make sure I assembled it correctly. But if the shift lever cable wasn't adjusted, maybe I'm not fully engaging in to the "F" position?

The lever moves as it should, I'm just thinking maybe the threaded adjustment got set so my engagment isn't 100%.

I know I'm probably grasping at straws, but it's worth a look.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 11:58pm
Thanks for all the advice guys, definitely appreciated!

I will call fantastic finish this week and find out the pricing details. Is taking off the trans detailed in the reference section pdfs?

I have rebuilt wet clutches for dirt bikes and motorcycles but if the consensus is send it away, I'll take that route. I'd hate to get in over my head.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 7:20pm
Matt,
As mentioned, you've trashed your trans. You may have run low on fluid once and it slipped overheating the clutch pack warping the plates and glazing them. It needs a total rebuild. You do not want to try the rebuild yourself.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 6:36pm
Once they slip they are done,the clutch plates glaze. Not any special tools needed but what you don't have are the tricks to the trade. I doubt you find anyone good in the area to do it but I'd bet you could find someone to take your money. Many have used Fantastic Finish Marine with excellant results,the former owner is a member here. Pull it out,put it in a milk crate and UPS it out. Always change the dampner plate too. You beat me to it Mark!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 6:27pm
Im no tranny expert and Im sure a lot more people will chime in to recommend unbolting tranny, put in a milk crate, and ship it off to Fantastic Finish Marine. I believe they are in Ohio, you can call them and get the info. I believe Vince is the guy in charge and that is the only place that I have seen recommended to do tranny repairs. I think there have been a few who have tried to rebuild their tranny, and end up sending it over there anyway. Good luck.
levin
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 4:18pm
I'm having issues with my 83 SN where the trans slips and my engine revs up without me going anywhere.

It started whenever I would push the throttle forward too fast. I could gradually increase speed up to about 25 mph, then at some point it would slip and I'd have to decrease down to idle. Now it seems like I can't even get passed a trolling speed.

I topped off the trans fluid level, and checked it multiple times while driving to make sure it was always at or above the mark.

Questions:
1.) What simple tests can I do to determine/isolate the problem?
2.) Can you add a gauge in the trans line to check the operating pressure?
3.) If it's in need of a clutch/seal replacement, is this something a mechanically inclined person could do themselves? What specialty tools are needed?
4.) If its better to take it to a marine mechanic, does anyone have a recommended shop in the northern Illinois/Chicagoland area?

I did not see any obvious leaks in the hydraulic system, but I will take a closer look this week.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic