NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Morse control

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morse control
    Posted: June-06-2013 at 10:11am

Lever position for neutral:

Trans position neutral:

Carb position neutral:

Lever forward:

Trans Forward:

Lever forward WOT:

Carb forward WOT:

Trans reverse:

Lever reverse WOT (!!)

Carb reverse WOT (!!)

'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 6:32pm
Those photos were a great help, thanks.
I stripped it back down this evening and got it working (I think) as it should, shall soon find out once its running..

Regarding the neutral switch, I managed to somehow assemble it with the gear in the wrong way round with the recess facing towards the back of the control!

Now its all connected up and I have more of a grasp of how the control works things seem to make more sense, not only is this my first boat but tbh I've never had the opportunity to drive a ski boat before. Whilst it's common practice to call 'in gear' before 'hit it' when being pulled up wherever I've had a tow, I never realised till now that the this is all one operation for the driver by simply moving the throttle forward
'82 Ski Tique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 12:54am
Originally posted by catamount catamount wrote:

The link you posted is an amazing resource, ny_nautique. I'm bookmarking it as well!

The thread is part of the CCF FAQ.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 12:42am
Is the first photo above with the throttle in neutral? If so, something is wrong there. Here's a photo of my MV-2 before I removed it from the boat. All of these images are with the throttle in the neutral position. Note the orientation of the levers:

Some more images that might help:

I've seen that lever cut down before somewhere on this site. I can't recall where, but I would not freak out about that. This MV-1 worked when you removed it from the boat, right?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Here's a CCF thread that I bookmarked with a lot of pics and good information.

Catamount, great idea on the free oven from Craigslist. Your Morse turned out pretty good.

Thanks, I read through the thread and regarding putting the gears back together I'm sure I followed the same steps - numerous times!!
Just can't understand why my neutral switch hardy pulls out any distance, shall split it apart again tomorrow and check mine against the photos in the thread you linked..
'82 Ski Tique
catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 3:58pm
The link you posted is an amazing resource, ny_nautique. I'm bookmarking it as well!
1987 MC ProStar 190
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 3:53pm
Here's a CCF thread that I bookmarked with a lot of pics and good information.

Catamount, great idea on the free oven from Craigslist. Your Morse turned out pretty good.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2013 at 3:33pm

Oh man, I had mine apart two weeks ago to re-grease and should've taken pictures. I did the same thing you did last year (powdercoated my control). I wish I took pictures of the back of the control, but I mostly just took pictures of the interior.

Anyway, your neutral switch should definitely pull out more than 2mm so it sounds like something isn't quite right with the internals.

My Morse thread:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47182
1987 MC ProStar 190
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 7:50pm
Looks like your shift lever has been cut down. Might be a problem if you're not getting sufficient throw in both directions.

Did you have the entire control apart? It looks to have been reassembled improperly. The throttle arm should be facing straight forward with the control in neutral. It's down at an angle which means you probably didn't line the gears up straight. If they're off a tooth, I can see why it might only pull the trans cable in one direction.

Better take a closer look at the morse manual... The diagrams are very helpful.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 7:27pm
Have had a good search but couldn't answer my question..

I split my morse controller a while back for coating, putting it back together today I noticed that the neutral pull switch only had approx 2mm travel, hooking it all up this seems to have no affect on the red cable that attaches to the trans.

I've managed to set it up so that the throttle cable opens the carb up when pushing the lever forwards, but pulling it back (ie how I would expect it to shift to reverse) transfers to zero movement of the red trans cable.

Here's a couple of pics:

I have a copy of the Morse pdf instructions but this doesn't include the info I'm after.
Maybe it shall all become clearer once I can test it with the engine running
'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic