NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1954 chris/ debonnaire / + low hrs malibu

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1954 chris/ debonnaire / + low hrs malibu
    Posted: June-29-2013 at 3:57pm
bruce we looked at the debbonaire you looked at , Pete its a 54 utility its the 4th of that era i have looked at and seems to be as solid as the others i have seen, its in need of some detailing and a good cleaning the malibu I think John is going to consider for himself if he doesnt i might make a package offer for the malibu and chris.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 3:38pm
I believe most DD Malibus have the HDS and they also have a packing nut. Post picks of the Debonaire.

Chris, why'd you pay someone to fix the HDS?
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 2:41pm
I'd rather tighten the packing nut from time to time. We get more water in the boat from spray and off ourselves than the packing dripping.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 2:00pm
Depending on the year Malibu, some have in lieu of a shaft log an HDS Box which is known to fail/leak, just had one of those fixed, $600.00.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 1:46pm
Peter,
What model Chris is it? No matter what it is, look for rot at the transom frame to hull bottom. Typically that's a bad spot since water will sit there. You can also look on the outside bottom planking at the transom to see if there is evidence of lots of movement. When the wood gets saturated and then dried out it will shrink/contract big time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 1:13pm
Pics and price on that sportster, LXI or standard?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 12:11pm
maybe the Malibu is a Sportster...pretty good barefoot boat
This is the life
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 10:34pm
Meeting John Sullivan (backchose) in maine in the morning we are looking at a 54 chris craft (my last one fell thru) it sounds like a utility and is a boat he is familiar with . it might have been in storage since the early 2000s . any advice on what to look for?   also looking at a debonnaire and a very low hr malibu sportsmant?hat has been stored with it   if anyone has any interest in anything contact either one of us for details.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic