Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rough Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rough Start
    Posted: July-07-2013 at 4:50pm
Well, Holley 4010's beat any carb of the same size. EX: a 4160 600cfm vs a 4010 600 cfm. The 4010 will win. They have a basic design which provides excellent performance. The draw back is keeping them consistent. They stay much more consistent on water vs land. Sometimes they will start to run bad and clear them selves. The 4010 is definitely a unique carb.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
94nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 10:44am
I didn't do anything that should influence idle quality. Checked all electrical connections relating to ignition (all were fine), checked the mesh fuel filter in the carb (it was clean), drained water separator (as previously mentioned - no water visible)and a few cosmetic things (reroute throttle and shift cables)....so nothing major. Spring workup is usually just hook up garden hose, start engine and run until warm then give it a good cleaning. Not sure what happened this winter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 3:55am
ummm. changing spark plugs def helps. What other spring things did you do? All I do is oil change on both boats and empty fuel/water separator on the CC.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 11:55pm
Got it, thanks. Drained water separator, cleaned spark plugs...regular spring stuff and it came to life and ran great! Idles well, starts great. Not sure what the cause was but seems good now. Thanks for the posts.
71CCMartinique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71CCMartinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 11:00pm
If it hasn't been rebuilt in a while or the fuel was left in during the winter, a quick rebuild should take care of it. Sounds like idle circuit is a possibility. As already noted by another member, it could also be dumping too much fuel.
....and the adventure continues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 10:40pm
Look down the barrels. If fuel is dumping in, try adjusting the floats. Very easy to do on a 4010 If that doesn't work, pull the needle and seats and inspect the o-ring and clean the needle and seat. I had this problem a few weeks ago. Had a bad o-ring. Inspect your floats too. Turns out I need new floats soon Damn ethanol ate the plastic welds! My uncle got me some metals floats for replacements!
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 3:57pm
Just pulled out my 94 carb'd proboss and it will not idle. Ran great when I put it away in the fall. It will run above 1200rpm but is very lopey. Exhaust is smokey and smells of oil, like it's running rich. Choke plate is open (so that's not the problem). Any ideas? I have never rebuilt the Holley carb. Also have never checked compression numbers. Thanks for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic