NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley Carb Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley Carb Question
    Posted: July-09-2013 at 12:15am
It seems like there are a lot more instances of primaries leaking than secondaries leaking. If the primaries aren't leaking, I'd say test drive it.

You'd probably be able to tell if it's starving for fuel when the secondaries kick in.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 10:22pm
Pull the bowl off and invert it. Looking at the top(which is now the bottom) of the float, set it just shy of parallel with the top(also the bottom now) of the bowl. That is a good starting point and sometimes it is trial & error.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 10:11pm
Yes its the original marine carb. No it does not have external adjustments. I have to remove the float bowl every time I make an adjustment. I'm just not experienced with angle mounted carbs and there settings . Is there something to go on better than trial and error?
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by cadunkle cadunkle wrote:

I prefer to run a 4150 with externally adjustable floats as you can set the level to exactly where it should be and quickly and easily adjust if the level needs tweaking.

Is the 4150 with an externally adjustable floats a marine carb?

You need to be sure to get a marine version.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by cadunkle cadunkle wrote:

I prefer to run a 4150 with externally adjustable floats as you can set the level to exactly where it should be and quickly and easily adjust if the level needs tweaking.

Is the 4150 with an externally adjustable floats a marine carb?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 7:35pm
Haha, I'm not the only Supra Comp owner!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 5:37pm
I'd imagine you'll need to slightly lower the primary level and slightly raise the secondary level. If you do not have a wedge carb spacer or intake with an angled carb mounting pad you can run one of therewedge carb spacers to get your carb closer to level. I prefer to run a 4150 with externally adjustable floats as you can set the level to exactly where it should be and quickly and easily adjust if the level needs tweaking.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 3:02pm
I recently bought a 84 Supra Comp PCM 351 and 1-1 trans. It needed a lot of repairs one being a carb overhaul. This is the first boat I owned with the engine mounted at an angle. I found out the hard way that the floats cannot be set to the specs in the instructions. After a couple tries I got it about 95% . I lowered the front and rear float levels but after thinking about it should I have lowered the rear? With the angle of the carb I would think I should have left it to spec or even raised it. What do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic