Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 ski nautique velvet transmission issue.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mspooner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mspooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 ski nautique velvet transmission issue.
    Posted: July-23-2013 at 12:48am
Made the test run on mine today. All is good. Cruised around the lake for a few and topped of the fluid. Barefootn tomorrow evening!!!
The only other thing I can think that you may want to make sure of is. There are two large snap rings in the forward clutch assembly. They are different in thickness so they have to go back in the order they came out.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 10:31pm
I saw a mention of punch marking the "case." The case cover (reverse adapter) can only go on one way, but the pump housing WILL go on two ways. One way is for LH, the other RH, which is what the boat will have if the engine is original (or at least a RH) If you put the pump on upside down, you will have NO DRIVE at all. For a RH engine, the "lump" on the diameter of the housing goes at about 10 o'clock position.
Art
"Art"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 9:35pm
Epoxy resin!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Joker7613 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker7613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 9:30pm
Thanks you all for all the assist. I'm gonna hit it wide open next weekend and take her all apart. Another question OFF TOPIC what's the best stuff to fill and fix fiberglass holes and cracks. Thank you everyone.
Mspooner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mspooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 11:26am
Download tranny manual and use chart to cross numbers off tag to tell u which one u have. It doesn't really matter as far as the kit goes. They send u all the stuff for either. The 10/18 has two reverse plates the 10/17 only one. They make a cooler that's a foot long and as long as u mount it above the tranny cooling shouldn't be an issue unless you don't have pressure. That would mean pump issues which u should discover when u break the tranny down. I put center punch marks on my housing and case to make sure it all went back together the same. It can only go one way but the punch marks just made it easier and I knew it was the same as when it came apart. I have pics and studied it thourghly before I did anything. The kit does not come with all snap rings so keep up with them you will have to reuse most of them. Same with thirst washer. Hope this helps
Joker7613 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker7613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 10:59am
Yes I believe its a 71c. Anyway of knowing for sure what type I have. I know its a 1.1 from what my uncle told me. Yes to your question I had the cover over it when I was running it. Whats the temp. suppose to be when running it. Does it need to have another fan or blower helping keep it cool.
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 9:09am
Simple trans to rebuild, I did mine,just pay attention to the manual. X2 on Hale marine, Chris will help you out. Keep an eye on pressures and temp after rebuild, I had a small piece of something get stuck in the selector valve and the tranny over heated. This time I put 4 hours on it with a gauge and an IR temp gun.
When it was raining, was the boat covered? Just curious.
Did you mean "71C"?
Joker7613 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker7613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 6:53am
So I'm thinking your right on all of that. From what I've come up with the trans cooler must have went bad which in turn pumped water into the transmission which in turn pushed the front seal out of the trans. I mean how else could water be in the trans. Also is the number on the tag tell me which number trans I have. I believe I have a 17c.
Mspooner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mspooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2013 at 12:30am
Just got thru doing mine today. They are very simple drive lines. You can download a manual on line. Use the reference chart to cross the numbers off the tag on the tranny. That will tell you exactly which one you have. The best price I found on the major overhaul kit was $140 at hale marine. As long as you don't have any bad bearings or gears that's all you will be out. You may want take a look at your flex plate while you got it out. I replaced mine. Just go step by step from the manual. The overhaul kit is for a 10/17 or a 10/18. The manual shows both. The only real difference I seen was the 10/18 has 2 reverse plates. A good wire wheel on an angle grinder will make short work of all those 35 year old gaskets. That was the most work.
Joker7613 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker7613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 4:49pm
Ok cool thanks yall for your assistance. I think were gonna pull the boat out of the water and pull the trans and go thru it. I also think I'm gonna check the trans lines and cooler.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 2:48pm
Could be a number of things-I would pressure test your trans oil cooler first-check the bottom of your bell housingfor trans fluid-if they check out,drain the milky fluid from your trans and fill it with fresh fluid.Good luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 2:48pm
Jeffrey,
It sounds like you may have two problems! Does the trans fluid look like it has water in it? If so, the first thing you need to do is find out how the water got into the trans. Pull the trans cooler and do a pressure check on it.

Try to look for where the oil in the bilge is coming from. Slipping a piece of cardboard under the engine/trans will help. You may have blown the front seal on the trans. That's not good since it indicates internal trans problems.

Welcome to CCfan and we always ask for pictures!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Joker7613 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker7613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 2:25pm
I just put the boat in the water yesterday and went about a mile or so up river. I docked the boat for about an hour cause of the rain. When the rain stopped I got back in the boat and went down river about haft a mile. I notice it felt like transmission was slipping. I slowed down to about 20mph or so when I got back to the dock I opened the hood or engine cover and noticed milky looking fluid in the hull. So I check the oil from the dip stick its good. I check the trans and its like barely on the dipstick. I cant see any leaks and am not sure what I need to do first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic