NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel or ProTec problem on 94 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel or ProTec problem on 94 Sport
    Posted: August-14-2013 at 9:58am
Does sound like a limp mode type problem as Brian mentioned. Notice in the diagram that it has both switches and senders for the oil pressure and temp.
The switches are wired in parallel in that diagram so either activating will put a ground on the signal wire (30) to the Protec EMS.

The senders are for the gauges and the switches are for the Protec EMS and dash warning light. That is why your gauges are indicating no problem. Normally these switches will provide a ground when activated so a easy way to isolate a problem is to remove the wire from the switch. I would remove the wire from both switches and test. If OK after test connect them one at time to isolate which switch is faulty.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 3:10am
Here is a wiring diagram from the reference section:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/1994_Pro-Tec_Wiring.pdf

We'll see if someone can confirm that the same oil pressure and water temp switches that inform the dash warning light, inform the Protec ECU.

If so, I'd say you're onto something with your limp mode theory. I can't remember if the switch opens or closes to trigger the limp mode. In other words, the test is to either simply remove the wire from the switches or remove then ground the wire to the block.

I think, and the diagram seems to confirm my thought, that one wire goes to both switches.
BoardsOnTheWater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoardsOnTheWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:52pm
Ok I have a 94 sport Nautique with a Ford PCM engine with throttle body injection. I believe it is the ProBoss 351. It has a low pressure pump that feeds a high pressure pump to the TBI unit. I replaced the high pressure pump with an OEM part because it was intermittent primarily when trying to get the boat started after sitting overnight. After the replacement the boat worked ok but was a little slow out of the hole. We noticed this over a couple of different outings with the boat. The next time out it developed another problem. After running a bit the red dash light came on indicating overheat and the boat would not go faster than about 10 mph. Oil pressure and water temp were fine. I found the fuel filter to have a major restriction and replaced it with another, along with checking the filter screen in the low pressure pump. However after getting back on the water, it ran well for a couple of barefoot runs and then again started having problems. The red dash light stays on and if you push the throttle too much the engine surges and then runs rough and is not able to get the rpms up. I have checked the filter and it is not clogged. I can see the injectors squirting gas but it acts as if it is starving.

I was suspecting fuel issues still, but after perusing the forums I am suspecting the ProTec is putting me in limp mode. I don't know if the fuel issues caused the ProTec problem or if it is just a coincidence. Would a fuel issue cause this type of ProTec problem? I will see if I can find the oil sensor switch to check that. Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram or service manual?

Thanks,
Mike

Any ideas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic