NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Won't Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Won't Start
    Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:35am
If I have to jump the poles I prefer a set of needle nose pliers. You can get a good contact on the incoming side before you contact the other side. You can mash the pliers right down in the center of the pole so you don't weld on the threads.

Of course pliers don't always work when you are on your back under a car ;).
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:00am
Or you could just get a cheap remote starter switch from any auto parts place and keep it in your glove box. I do. Hook it up and press a button to start it. No sparks, it doesn't take up any space at all and is only a few bucks. Nice to have.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 2:32am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

I taught my teenage son the "redneck" start... using an insulated-handle screwdriver to short across the two large posts on the solenoid.

Steve,
Why the insulated handle? We are only dealing with 12 volts here! BTW, if yoy do it too many times, the threads on the studs will be so screwed up you won't be able to get the nuts off. A friend did it so many times that he called me for help. I had to cut the studs off to save the lugs on the cable ends!

Yes, it is not a good habit to get into. We've resorted to it three times so far, out in the middle of the lake while on vacation. What I really don't like is the sparking it can cause. The doghouse is open and I'm not smelling fumes, but sparks around marine engines can make me nervous. That's why I'm *not* suggesting it to anyone!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

I taught my teenage son the "redneck" start... using an insulated-handle screwdriver to short across the two large posts on the solenoid.

Steve,
Why the insulated handle? We are only dealing with 12 volts here! BTW, if yoy do it too many times, the threads on the studs will be so screwed up you won't be able to get the nuts off. A friend did it so many times that he called me for help. I had to cut the studs off to save the lugs on the cable ends!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:39pm
I taught my teenage son the "redneck" start... using an insulated-handle screwdriver to short across the two large posts on the solenoid. This removes the entire ignition switch circuit and the solenoid, but also the transmission neutral safety switch, from the equation. If the starter doesn't spin, it's the battery, cables or starter (or screwdriver, lol!).

He knows to be damn sure the trans is in neutral, the shift disengage button is pulled out, the key is turned to Run, and the throttle is at a reasonably-low rpm setting (idle, if the engine is warm). He knows this is only to get it running when having a problem out on the lake. He understands the circuits and knows the safety of all onboard comes first.

I'm not suggesting you do this... just sayin'.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 4:03pm
Get a test light. It's cheap and you will use it more times than you want to imagine. Ground it somewhere on the rear of the engine. Test for a good ground by touching the positive feed side of the solenoid (shuold have red tape around the black wire near the end that's on the solenoid.)

If you have power there then move to the solenoid trigger wire. Have someone turn the key. If you have power there then move to the other large(output wire to starter) pole. Have someone turn the key. If you have power there your problem is elsewhere. If you don't have power there put a new solenoid on it.

Test lights make life simple.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 1:32pm
Steve we tried jumping the battery and it would still only make the clicking sound. we let it sit a while and went back and tried to jump it again still the clicking sound. Me and my dad think its the solenoid.
1972 Mustang
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 9:47am
Steve - great list of steps!

I would add just 1 more - to check the battery voltage during cranking. If the battery is bad, it may show 12V with no load, but may droop when high current is flowing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 6:23am
I have the Ford (PCM) 351 and don't know the Chevy in particular.

First, check the battery charge with a voltmeter. If it's low on charge, it won't spin the starter.

Next, follow the Start circuit and check voltage at each location:

If the click is coming from the starter, you know the Start circuit is being completed far enough to put full voltage to the starter solenoid (relay). I would still check the voltage at each spot. Assuming the 1972 had a transmission neutral safety switch, you can use a voltmeter to confirm that when someone turns the key to Start, you're getting 12V to the trans safety switch, and 12V coming out of it (on the other connection, the one that then goes to the solenoid). Then check that you're getting 12V to that small post on the solenoid when the key is to Start. One big post on the solenoid should always be 12V, the other big post should be 12V when the key is to Start. Now... I say 12V, but the starter will pull the voltage down, so the point is, you're seeing voltage.

A thick cable from the solenoid goes to the starter. That connection on the starter should see voltage when the key is turned to Start. The starter bolts should be tight so it is well-grounded to the engine (and it doesn't mess up your bendix gear or flywheel ring gear), but they are probably tight.

You can check the voltage at all of these locations in about 30 seconds. Don't have your helper leave the key on Start... have them turn to Off (not Run) while you move your voltmeter + lead to the next location.

So...

If the click is coming from the solenoid and it's not closing the circuit to the starter, it's the solenoid. Try tapping on the dark plastic case with a wrench and it may free up. This can be caused by low voltage from the battery or by the solenoid going bad. If you have a deep cycle battery instead of a starting battery, that can contribute to this.

If voltage is going to the Starter and it's just clicking, then your battery may be low on charge, your starter may be going bad, or your connections may be corroded and/or loose (very often it's that last one).

What I would do:

1. Check the battery charge with your voltmeter.

2. Check the voltage at the locations discussed above. Also check the main circuit breaker, assuming the '72 has one.

3. If it's the solenoid, rap on it and see if it works.

4. Disconnect the battery cables and put the charger on the battery. Then trace the circuits described above--take apart every connection, clean with a wire brush (I use one chucked in my cordless drill) and re-connect, make sure they're tight. Make sure you do the connection of the battery's ground cable to the engine block, and of course the connections at the battery. My son and I did this about a month ago; takes about an hour or so.

5. After cleaning and tightening all connections, once the battery is fully charged, check its voltage, if good then try starting again (need water to raw water pump). If all good, then you may not need anything new.

6. If the solenoid was stuck, I'd put one on order. If the starter is still bad, I'd put one on order. If the battery is old or a deep cycle, I'd buy a new starting battery. If the battery tests good, the connections are all clean, and the starter will spin only when jumped, then you may need new battery cables, they corrode over time.

7. If the battery was low on charge and that was the cause, you may want to check your alternator.

I guess it's possible that your ignition switch is going bad, and when you turned it to Off it was completing the Run circuit. This can dump a lot current through the coil (and ruin it). Or maybe you left it in Run?

I suppose there are possibilities other than the starting circuit. Hydrolocking a cylinder, for example, but it doesn't sound like you did anything that would've caused that (and I'm not sure you'd describe that as a "click").

Not sure if that helps. The experts will be along shortly...

Steve
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 12:08am
Last weekend I was in my boat and it was running fine. I pulled up to the dock and went back to shore. About 25 minutes later, I went to go start my boat up and I would turn the key but the engine wouldn't turn over it would only make a clicking sound. I have no idea what it is.
1972 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic