Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

runs just a little rough

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: runs just a little rough
    Posted: September-24-2013 at 5:42pm
what is stopping you from turning the idle up a bit?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 12:41pm
Just how old is old gas?

The first thing to do if you suspect bad gas is run on a fresh can directly to the fuel pump.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 11:06am
So when you move the throttle into the "in gear" slot it idles up? If it does it in both reverse and forwards that means you have probably lost some movement in the pusher spring on the controls the compensates for the movement of the throttle in gear as to not idle the boat up before you pass the gear slot section.

If it does it only one way it could be a cable adjustment or some worn ends.
youknowthiscraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youknowthiscraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 3:42am
1993 Nautique Excel. Awesome boat with pic coming soon. Learned the hard way that fuel goes bad real quick and prevented starting. Some fuel additive and new gas seems to have helped. Now Im trying to work out some small kinks. When I start the boat in the morning it runs great at 1000 rpm. But when I try to put the throttle to neutral, the rpms drop to 500 and the boat runs real rough and soon stalls. I tried backing out the idle set screws 3/4 of a turn. That seemed to have helped in that it allowed the boat to run at 500 rpm so that I could at least engage the prop and move forward. Still, the boat seems starved for power. Im not a mechanic but Im guessing its one or more of these possibilities. (1) old fuel has gummed up my carb and fuel system and is still inhibiting performance. (2) the idle on the boat is set too low or needs to be adjusted (3) Maybe, just maybe, the protec system is starting to fail and decreasing performance in a cylinder or two. Anyway, just trying to gather some general thoughts or experiences from folks. I should mention that when I give the boat some gas from idle it accelerates great. If I go real easy on the throttle, it kind of clanks a little like its underpowered. Anyway, impress me with what you know. thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic