NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble turning over

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble turning over
    Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:34pm
Assuming the engine is original, did you make sure you got a reverse rotation starter?????
Art
"Art"
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 12:42am
1500*+??? you sure? I mean a diesel is around 600* to 1200*

I doubt that a 230 hp gas job would get 1500*....

But yes, interested in the bypass method... I mean, you can rid of the mufflers but thats it. Unless you mean the $2,200 stainless headers (I doubt that...)
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by seanster1987 seanster1987 wrote:

Thanks for all the tips. I might straight pipe it and bypass the exhaust manifolds all together. Any thoughts on that???? I replaced the starter because it was the original 78 starter and wasn't engaging anymore. Didn't want to have it rebuilt so put something nicer that will last longer

Yes, I too would like to hear more about you wanting to bypass the manifolds!! How about some pictures of this boat?

BTW, the original started is still working on both my 1954 and 1964. Tell us what the problem with the starter was? Don't become just a "parts changer"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2013 at 12:06pm

I might straight pipe it and bypass the exhaust manifolds all together. Any thoughts on that????

WTF?????

1) Marine exhaust manifolds are not constructed like auto manifolds. they're two thin cast walls with cooling water in between. Without water, they could crack in a matter of seconds and potentially the reason (one one of the reasons) you have water in the oil right now.

2) When properly cooled, you can lay your hand on the exhaust manifolds and it should be cool to slightly warm to the touch. You should be able to hold your hand on them for as long as the engine is running. What do you think will happen without cooling and they heat up to 1500+ degrees in the confines of closed engine compartment surrounded by fiberglass?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2013 at 10:25am
What do you mean by bypassing the manifolds? A dry exhaust? That would not be a good idea.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
seanster1987 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanster1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2013 at 2:06am
Thanks for all the tips. I might straight pipe it and bypass the exhaust manifolds all together. Any thoughts on that???? I replaced the starter because it was the original 78 starter and wasn't engaging anymore. Didn't want to have it rebuilt so put something nicer that will last longer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 10:37pm
Sean,
Why did you replace the starter?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 10:14am

Could it have to do with the thick sludgy milky colored oil and water mix??

Thanks for any advice

Umm yeah, yeah it could. Ockams razor would postulate that it is more than likely. If you just have a manifold leaking water in the exhaust valves then you may have gotten enough water in the right combustion chamber at the right part of the stroke to hydrolock the engine. As in the piston is trying to compress water instead of gas and it no can do.. this would be bad. It’s a good way to bend connecting rods, etc. Take out all the plugs and see if you can rotate it over by hand with a breaking bar on the crank. If that works, then spray a bunch of fogging oil in the cylinders, change the oil, rotate the engine with the starter, spray, rotate, spray, rotate, pray, compression test, replace exhaust manifolds, and give it a try.

If it still doesn’t turn over with the plugs out then I would fear that you have stuck and spun a bearing (either main or connecting rod) due to running an engine where there is water where oil should be. That would require a rebuild, minimum, maybe a replacement if water was coming not only from the manifolds but also from a cracked block due to something like improper winterization.

You may also have stuck a exhaust valve (dropping water on hot exhaust valves from the exhaust port doesn’t exactly keep them corrosion free and happy) which could have then broke and made its way somewhere to cause trouble… anyway hope for the first scenario… good luck – remember anything can be fixed!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 9:46am
You might want to put a breaker bar on the front crankshaft bolt & rotate it backwards a bit.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 6:57am
Sean,
It's sounds like the milky oil is not related to the noise. Do check out the manifold problem as water in the the oil is not good. Regarding the noise, I suspect a damper plate failure. When they go, it's common for pieces to get wedged between the flywheel and bell housing.

Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures? We love them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seanster1987 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanster1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 12:44am
I have a 78 Ski Martinique with a 351 Ford Commander.
Boat has been running fine, noticed oil is milky and have an exhaust manifold leak and think water is getting down into cylinder heads. Replaced starter and was about to change oil, had the boat idling fine and shut it off to go and restart, then it made a loud grinding sound and acted like it didn't want to turn the flywheel over. Starter is secure and not sure exactly why the noise?? Could it have to do with the thick sludgy milky colored oil and water mix??

Thanks for any advice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic