NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weird problem, no spark

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird problem, no spark
    Posted: June-04-2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Thanks! Glad you didn't say "tubing"

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 3:21pm
Thanks! Glad you didn't say "tubing"
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 3:08pm
Oh wow, must have been too busy wakeboarding. :)
Yes if I remember correctly that was it, ran fine again!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 10:56am
How did this end? Did the new module fix your problem?
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 8:32pm
Thanks, hope to have it here by Monday. Then hope the boat runs fine again!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 11:34am
Glad you found the problem. Here is a source for the module. When you install it, set the gap at .010 inch, using a non-ferrous feeler gage (like brass).

marineengineparts.com
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 2:35am
Seems like it's the distributor module that's bad.
What do I look for to find another one; is it Prestolite, Ford, PCM, ...?
Regular car part or marine-specific?
Thanks!

TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 2:34am
Edit:

Sorry, hit "post" too early. See below.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 10:31am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Sander - The resistor is just bypassed. I did this to my boat, as the prestolite EI is happy with full 12V.

But the coil may not be and it could overheat causing the problem described.

Take a look at the coil see what it says about external resistors... along with all the rest...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by TRIP TRIP wrote:

OK, thanks, no worries there then.

Would a battery cable that black be able to cause the issue?
I cleaned the top of it a bit, as good as I could, but don't know how far in it's that black.

I think it's a separate issue, probably caused by a clamp on type battery connector rather than a molded in one. It's getting hot from a poor connection. I guess that's better than white or green from corrosion.
The coil negative grounds on the engine block, not the battery.

TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 1:29am
OK, thanks, no worries there then.

Would a battery cable that black be able to cause the issue?
I cleaned the top of it a bit, as good as I could, but don't know how far in it's that black.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 12:55am
Sander - The resistor is just bypassed. I did this to my boat, as the prestolite EI is happy with full 12V.

Ben Franklin
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 10:37pm
Here's what the negative cable of the battery looked like:

Tried to replace it, but no such thing around here. Skidim, here I come again. ;) 'Till then gotta keep going with this one I guess.

This is how the resistor is (not) connected. Been like this for quite a while actually, 2 years probably, maybe even more. I remember some mechanic put it this way, when it is hooked up as it should be, the boat won't start. Bad resistor?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

There's no need to pull the distributor out, it only grounds through the hold down piece, very likely the problem.

Your right but..... It is a saltwater boat and their are cases where the distributor has seized in the block and needed extreme measures to remove. If it was me,it would be out,just saying
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 10:16pm

We'll have a multimeter tomorrow morning.

Still wondering if when Pete's jumper-tip works that means it IS inside the distributor or is NOT?

OK, my best guess. The negative pole of the coil has to be grounded (wire to dist. case)to complete the circuit through the primary and secondary windings where 12 volts gets turned into 20,000 volts. When the points open or electronic module signals, the negative ground is lost, collapsing the magnetic field in the coil, inducing the "firing" of the coil.
Since your ground is iffy, sometimes the coil won't get charged up until you ground it with a jumper. Then it works until enough resistance (heat) builds up at the ground point (distributor hold down)to interfere with the grounding. Any semi bad connection from dist. to ground will do. I would sandpaper the wire connectors, bolt, washer, etc.,until I had about .7 ohms resistance (depending on the resistance from the meter itself, mine reads .6 just touching the leads together),from the negative coil to the block. About 10 ohms will be high enough to mean NO ground connection. Set your meter on ohms (omega sign). Some meters have 200, 2000, 20k settings, some set the range automatically. I set mine at 200 (zero to 200)for resistance testing, 20K for coil center testing.
BTW, all my coils have different values both on the low side (neg to pos 1.5 to 2.1)) and center to either neg or pos 10k to 15k.but work fine in those ranges with points and resistor.
I wouldn't trust an electronic module that got hot like yours (from a poor ground)to be trustworthy either.
Always check ohms with the power (key) off, or you'll be buying a new meter. At least the cheapo ones like mine.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 6:22pm
We'll have a multimeter tomorrow morning.

Still wondering if when Pete's jumper-tip works that means it IS inside the distributor or is NOT?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 5:29pm
There's no need to pull the distributor out, it only grounds through the hold down piece, very likely the problem. Sanding the contact surfaces will ensure a good ground.
Get a multimeter and read the instructions over until you understand how to test for resistance (ohms)and volts. Otherwise you are working blind.
For the cost of a pizza, you can see what's actually happening.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 3:55pm
Have you ever pulled the distributor out of the block completely? My Dads '87 PCM with points started burning up condensers and then frying the points. After a lot of trial and error he pulled the distributor. Looking at it in the boat it looked fine,but when out it had rust where it contacted the block,therefore it lost it's ground. It was in saltwater too. Cleaned it up and problem solved. Later He added a ground wire between it and the block also.Something to check--
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You can simulate the point set (or electronic module) opening and closing with a jumper between the - terminal on the coil and the engine block. Just touch the - terminal and then when you break the connection you should get the spark.

This is the test I would do at next failure - Then you will know if it is inside the dizzy or not. Use a known good spark plug wire coming out of the coil to eliminate the dizzy cap/ rotor too.

Time to revive this thread! Problem only occurred occasionally, and I could always 'fix' it thanks to Pete's tip (jumper between negative and block).
Now it happens all the time however, sometimes every 30 seconds.

Anyway, I now know that using that jumper solves the issue. Like it 'breaks' a short circuit, and everything works OK again.
What I don't know is if that means the problem is in the distributor, or not(?).
I also noticed that the module (if that what it's called) inside the distributor gets crazy hot.

TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 7:16pm
Not an issue for 2 months, but Monday the same thing happened again. I expected it to fire right up today (like previous 2 times), but it didn't. At least gave me the chance to check some stuff.

Sander,
You can simulate the point set (or electronic module) opening and closing with a jumper between the - terminal on the coil and the engine block. Just touch the - terminal and then when you break the connection you should get the spark.

When I did this (connect - terminal on coil to block with screwdriver), it did start again.
Still not exactly sure what it means though (I'm a n00b and I know it). Coil, a contact, electronic ignition?

Thanks for the tip Pete!

flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 9:58am

I do need to get a volt-meter or ohm meter or whatever it's called, and learn how to use it.

I think Pete just shed a tear.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 9:20pm

Yup, will do!

It does have an external resistor so that could possibly be it too.

Thanks again!

I do need to get a volt-meter or ohm meter or whatever it's called, and learn how to use it.
Would still love to hear any and all suggestions!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 3:36pm
Yup, will do!

It does have an external resistor so that could possibly be it too.

Thanks again!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 8:01pm

This is the test I would do at next failure - Then you will know if it is inside the dizzy or not. Use a known good spark plug wire coming out of the coil to eliminate the dizzy cap/ rotor too.

Ben Franklin
shawn123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 7:47pm
I would suggest making sure you don't have any ground wires loose that could be getting bounced around causing an inconsistent ground or a frayed wire that is shorting out. Also though resistors rarely go it does happen and can start out by acting up just now and then. Though with electronic ignition you probably have an internal resistor in your coil. If not I believe you can get a internal resistor coil and bypass your old one. What kind of pressure are you getting from fuel pump. (that is more of an after thought by the sounds of your problem though)
if it floats it's not sunk
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 7:24pm
Thanks for all the input everyone!

It has electronic ignition.
Key ignition I don't think is the issue since it does crank, just doesn't give a spark.

Anyway; today it fired right up again. Happy! But confused... Ran it for more than 4 hours without a glitch. See where the confusion is coming from...?! First time it happened it was after running for only 20-30 minutes. Yesterday after about 2 hours. Today 4 hours; no problem. If the coil were bad it should act up every time, right? Or if whatever else it is that's broken, how can it be so inconsistent?

Would still love to hear any and all suggestions!
shawn123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 11:20am
I agree with that. But an hour or two of wakeboarding would be way more than enough time to make a coil hot. Lot of heat built pulling weight at 18-20 something mph. But you never know if its just starting to give out. You could run boat to operating temp then shut off and if you have points you can turn key to on position and manually open and close points with a screw driver and you should see a spark. I have heard resistors rarely fail but would definitely start back there and work forward. Sorry no help if you have electronic ignition, have to learn more about that myself, switching away from points this spring.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

If its got points that is where I would start

Michael,
The problem certainly could be in the distributor but I suggested testing the coil since it runs cold but then not when hot.

Sander,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shawn123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 10:25am
True. I did forget to ask whether he electronic ignition or not
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 10:21am
If its got points that is where I would start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic