NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gt40 engine replace cost?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gt40 engine replace cost?
    Posted: March-26-2014 at 1:39pm
I was told 800-900 we will see. I think am going to find a shop that can x-ray the heads. the boat has 600hrs
DC
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 11:44am
That ECM from the GT40 should bring some good money. Can't get those OEM any longer.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 2:42am
Good deal! I 'm glad to hear that it worked out well!   Now we need some pictures
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 2:06am
I'm interested in some of those parts when you get ready to take it apart.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 1:42am
Thanks for your ideas . I got the boat at a good price. Refurbished aluminum I beam trailer, disc breaks, new tires . Monster tower Bimini ... Just bought the Chevy from Jody's buddy's friend . Lot of hours but Seems well taken care of with new manifolds, pp and new prop. Can't wait to drop it in . Guess I going to have to put my 2001 up for sale . Beginning to read up on fuel injection. Its time to join the 21st century . I am setting the ford aside needs manifolds for sure and all the freeze plugs are busted out. Not real hopeful but you never know. Even still hope to recoup some $ from selling GT parts. We will see , keep you posted .
Dan
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 10:48pm
Malibud, How'd you do on this one?   
I didn't see your post earlier about how the water got into the oil.   cracked manifolds will give you the water in the oil.   it's not a complete tell all, but is one of the ways the water can get in.      I did get lucky... but I went in assuming it needed a motor.   I paid little enough for the boat that I could put a motor in it and be below the market value by a good margin... people who don't want to mess with putting in an engine realize that they have reduced the value of their craft by a great deal (most of them).   if you are armed with knowledge of what it will cost to do the motor(worst case) and leave some margin for things you can't anticipate, you'll be fine.   if you can't get a DEAL on a dead boat, don't buy it, it won't be worth the hassle.   If market for that boat is in the 15k range, I don't think I would go more than about 6-7K. look on craigslist and see what people are asking in similar condition with a running engine, then subtract a bit from that, usually there is some negotiation room on the seller side.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 9:45pm
1800 hours , mostly at idle
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

We are talking . New trailer. New tower . Decent interior with some replaced . What ya think its worth?

Need more info, pictures would help. The chevy sounds a little tired for $2200
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 5:33pm
We are talking . New trailer. New tower . Decent interior with some replaced . What ya think its worth?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 4:36pm
How much for the sport?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 4:23pm
The used Chevy engine compression numbers were around 170-80 but the low was 150 and the high was 200 . That seems like a big spread . He said it ran well had pp and was ready to bolt and go. Nice dude . watch y'all think ? Had 1800hrs. Mostly at idle ....thanks
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 10:21am
If it's just frozen as in ice frozen then that's no big deal. Just get another block and swap everything over. The GT - 40 block is the same as any other 351W except that it's already cast for roller lifters if you wanted them. Assuming its a 4FTE and assuming the water didn't damage anything else internally.
How much is he asking for it?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 10:00am
Better be a smoking deal because unless your doing the work yourself buying another motor changing motor mounts buying wireing harness's will put you on the wrong side fast----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 8:39am
Going to call today . Keeping my fingers crossed that he still has it . I wish you were closer. Thanks Jody ! That's a huge help......
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 7:32am
http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Parts_Engine&postid=26857

A set of PCM Chevy-Ford adapter engine mounts and a wire harness adapter you are good to go. I can swap this package into a boat such as yours in less than 4 hours.

I do have two Core GT-40 block's with rotating assy and a two sets ready to install recon GT heads. However bang for the buck! I would go with the Chevy posted above! it is really a no brainer unless you just have to have a blue oval.

Cheers!
Jody
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2014 at 11:43pm
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2014 at 11:43pm
You got lucky . I am scared because it is risky . If it runs then great cheap boat if not ...... I wish I could find used one I would pull the trigger . How do the plugs go in ? Seems like the chances are slim . And the block did not crack how did the water get in the oil ? Thanks for the quick response
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2014 at 11:34pm
mine was the same... plugs out, manifold cracked etc... I was able to replace the manifold and that fixed the water in the oil problem.   the freeze plugs were about $20 at the local auto parts store.   get brass ones if you try it. I had to run it on the hose and change the oil a couple of times before I was satisfied that nothing was leaking in the heads.   if the plugs came out and the manifold is cracked, you can still be OK on the inside of the block... its possible both ways, so since you'll need new manifolds for a fresh engine anyway, it's worth trying that route first to see if the block is OK
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2014 at 10:38pm
I think is bad freeze plugs knocked out water mixed with oil. Cracked manifold... Thanks for the quick response. I was told around 1200 for labor if I found a long block. I will try Jody tomorrow .
thanks     
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2014 at 10:31pm
how frozen is the question.   Plan on a new engine, and buy the boat accordingly.   Ski Dim has packaged deals that you can drop in if you are not mechanical, but there are definitely cheaper ways to skin that cat.     I purchased my 94 last year with at "frozen" block... I took the time to get the rotating assembly freed, put on new manifolds, carb and fixed some other neglected items and am happy to report that it runs great. I am guessing we'll have it in the water this summer with a fairly minimal investment.   The Fuel injected engines do come up from time to time, particularly from people like Jody at Fl. inboards who replace them for the upgraded speed control compatibility (?).   they are not common, but can be had for a ~3-4 thousand dollars used if you can find them.   
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2014 at 10:12pm
I talk to a guy about a nice looking sport with a frozen block. It is FI it is a 97 or 98 . Needs at least 1 manafold . Has anybody had this done and know about the cost? Or better yet anyone know of a used one ? Can I go with a carbed one ? Thanks
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic