NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

excalibur and vortec heads compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: excalibur and vortec heads compatibility
    Posted: May-12-2014 at 2:37pm
The big issue with "Vortec" heads is that every engine small block and V6 engine GM made in the late 80's to mid 90's started carrying the term VORTEC on them when in reality the L31 heads are the only really good vortec heads. Heck my 4.3L 6 cylinder engine in my Jimmy was labeled vortec and while the 4.3L engines are great little 6 cylinders that you can't kill easily, I would not rate them as performance engines by any means. Some people say the L31 Vortecs are the best flowing heads GM ever made. Don't know about that as I stick to the earlier engine configurations.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 8:56am
Also you cannot tell from the valve covers. Normal heads used the center bolt covers for a few years. I have them. Look at the intake bolts. They go straight down, not angled and I think there is 8 not 12.
Thanks for the casting numbers Mark. Thats handy stuff right there.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 8:41am
Thanks a bunch ... That's what I needed to know
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 1:14am
You sure of that casting number? 14102198 does not appear to exist, 14102191, and 193 are vortec TBI swirl port heads made from 87 to 95 and aren't worth the price to scrap them. The 191's are 76cc chamber heads with 1.88/1,5" valves, and the 193s are 64cc heads with 1.94/1.5" valves. They make good low RPM torque and make OK power up to about 4500 RPM, but thats about it. Basically they are good truck motor heads. The 12559062 and 10239906 castings are the L31 true Vortec heads.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 12:05am
That's what I got . Can I replace one right ? Are all vortec heads the same as far as compatibly ? Like ford gts ? Found some at a decent price
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

How do I tell if it is a vortec ? I was assuming it was since it was an excalibur 343 HP (and 2003 ) I thought vortec came out in 1996 so couple of years for boats to catch up? thanks

Four valve cover bolts right down the center of the valve cover, as opposed to two on each side (top and bottom)on the valve cover flanges
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 8:40pm
8 bolts for intake = vortec rights ?
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 7:44pm
How do I tell if it is a vortec ? I was assuming it was since it was an excalibur 343 HP (and 2003 ) I thought vortec came out in 1996 so couple of years for boats to catch up? thanks
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 4:47pm
You may not use only one. The intake manifold bolts are different.
If your engine is non Vortec you will need a new intake manifold as the bolt patter is different. Not a bad problem to have is will make a bunch of horse powers for little effort. Did you find a good deal on those heads? Its on my to-do list.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2014 at 4:26pm
will these heads work with a 2003 excalibur from a 196 nautique

vortec TBI swirl port heads
they have 14102198 stamped on the inside rebuilt with 2.02 valves (intake)

Can I use just one (I have a cracked water jacket) and really dont want to use JB weld.
thanks
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic