Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1987 Nautique 2001 with No Spark (oil light/alarm)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 Nautique 2001 with No Spark (oil light/alarm)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 Nautique 2001 with No Spark (oil light/alarm)
    Posted: May-30-2014 at 9:06am
Cool you found it. John has a good point about using test light over a multimeter for stuff like this. Especially when you've only got one set of hands and you're working in a dark space.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2014 at 12:55am
Oil light? Alarm? Gauges and a dipstick have always served me well. Oh...these newfangled boats scare me so.....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
blackedout06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackedout06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2014 at 12:02am
alright guys it was bugging me not knowing what it was so I went back out and messed with it some more finally got it running!!!!! The stupid purple wire had fallen off the ignition and that was what was causing the issue…DAMN its hard to see where all those wires are running under the dash lol...THANK YOU ALL for your help though! I would have been running in circles without the help from everyone on here. I will hopefully be back out on the lake tomorrow enjoying the boat! Have a great weekend everyone!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackedout06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2014 at 11:04pm
alright guys I had a little time to tinker with the boat tonight and this is what I found….. I dug out the test light and had no power going to the coil as well as the gauges do not work when the ignition is turned on so it looks like I will be messing with the wires under the dash this weekend and hopefully get it going again.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2014 at 3:52am
Idiot

So it's a GT40 (2001)in an 80's boat, or a replacement carbed 351 from 2001?   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackedout06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Two separate circuits. Dont get distracted. Oh look >>>> shiny! Your as bad as my wife. The only thing that tells me is that the key is getting power, the harness is plugged in and the battery is OK. Think purple. Crank is yel /red.
Tim, Gary, Pete, Joe and Foilhead will all be on later to tell you Im an idiot but at least I got you off the couch....

To be clear. Turn the key on and check for 12 volts at the ignition switch purple wire.
If you have it there, check the coil + for 12 volts. If you have it both places and no spark then you have either a dizzy or coil issue.
I use a test light for this over a meter simply because its fast and assures the connections are good enough for a bulb and not just a sensitive meter. (my light has a big bulb)
The reason I have you rooting behind the dash is because the overlapping symptoms of light and ignition come together there.
Do the gauges come to life?

Haha alright I will get out there with a test light tomorrow and report back, I didn't really pay attention to the gauges since it was turning over I assumed they had power as well. Thanks again though with all the information!
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 10:07pm
To be clear. Turn the key on and check for 12 volts at the ignition switch purple wire.
If you have it there, check the coil + for 12 volts. If you have it both places and no spark then you have either a dizzy or coil issue.
I use a test light for this over a meter simply because its fast and assures the connections are good enough for a bulb and not just a sensitive meter. (my light has a big bulb)
The reason I have you rooting behind the dash is because the overlapping symptoms of light and ignition come together there.
Do the gauges come to life?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 9:56pm
Two separate circuits. Dont get distracted. Oh look >>>> shiny! Your as bad as my wife. The only thing that tells me is that the key is getting power, the harness is plugged in and the battery is OK. Think purple. Crank is yel /red.
Tim, Gary, Pete, Joe and Foilhead will all be on later to tell you Im an idiot but at least I got you off the couch....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackedout06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 9:47pm

Good, those protec things are goofy.
OK the oil alarm works off closing a ground switch and SHOULD light up with key-on-engine-off. Once started and oil pressure builds the switch opens on the engine and the light goes out, buzzer shuts up. The only thing this has in common with the spark issue is it's powered off the key-on circuit from the ignition switch. I would ask if the gauges zero out or respond with key on engine off.
My guess its related to a purple wire behind the dash. Power comes into the key red and leaves purple to feed all the other stuff like alarms and gauges and ignition systems. Start at the key and keep moving till you find it.
This should be easy.

Alright thanks a TON! I am not the greatest electrical person haha... Should I check the distributor next since I am having power to the starter and the boat cranks but doesn't have spark or is it possible for it to crank over with no power going to the coil/distributor to provide the spark? I am planning to go out and mess with it tomorrow when the rains done.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 9:37pm
Good, those protec things are goofy.
OK the oil alarm works off closing a ground switch and SHOULD light up with key-on-engine-off. Once started and oil pressure builds the switch opens on the engine and the light goes out, buzzer shuts up. The only thing this has in common with the spark issue is it's powered off the key-on circuit from the ignition switch. I would ask if the gauges zero out or respond with key on engine off.
My guess its related to a purple wire behind the dash. Power comes into the key red and leaves purple to feed all the other stuff like alarms and gauges and ignition systems. Start at the key and keep moving till you find it.
This should be easy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackedout06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 9:27pm

Pro tec?

I don't think so? The engine has a distributor on it . I could go out and snap a picture of the engine if that will help.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 8:57pm
Pro tec?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackedout06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 8:46pm
Posted this in General Maintenance on accident, so I am reposting it in here...

Alright let me start off by saying for a while now the oil light has been flickering on and off on my 1987 Ski Nautique 2001(PCM 351 Engine) whether or not it is running and sometime the alarm will start to sound as well but it only last for a second or two so I have been ignoring it since the boat has oil and good oil pressure. Now onto the problem I am having…

The other day I was out on the lake and the oil light lit up as soon as I turned the key on (boat not running yet) and the alarm started sounding. I figured it was just doing what it has done before so I started the boat and took off… as soon as I got up to speed (about 30mph) the light turned off and the alarm stopped. Whenever I would come to a stop it would start to flicker on and off with the alarm sounding on and off, so I finally got sick of it and figured I would just disconnect a wire from the alarm so it would stop sounding…..

I go to start the boat again and it would turn over but not start, so I pulled a plug and checked for spark and there was none so I figured by unplugging the alarm it must have set off some kind of safety so the boat would not run…. I then proceeded to plug the wire back in figuring I would just deal with it acting up for the rest of the day and look into it after. Well once I plugged it back in the boat still would not start!!! Late last year I had an issue where the coil went so I figured maybe that was my issue again so I towed the boat in and called it a day. Today I went and purchased a new coil and just installed it and STILL NO SPARK!

Any isight into what maybe going on would be great! Has anyone had this issue before? I checked the big reset fuse on the engine and I pushed it in and it didn't seem to do much so I figure that is normal?   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic