NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

90 SN to electronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90 SN to electronic ignition
    Posted: June-16-2014 at 10:47am
I think you need to get some tools to further trouble shoot this issue.

-Multimeter (or VOM)
-timing light
-(2) 3ft wires with alligator clips at both ends. Not needed, but it makes things easier.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 6:45am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I would manually, intermitantly, ground out the (-) side of the coil & test for strong spark. Hold the output lead of the coil close to engine block, you should get strong blue spark. If it passes this test, move onto same test using dizzy to trigger a spark.

As Chris mentioned, ground out the - side of the coil but disconnecting the - is when you should get the spark. Energizing a coil makes it become saturated. Denergizing is when you will get the stored volts out of it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
canadianfooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadianfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 4:36am
The boat was put to bed last september and was running fine. I pulled her out, closed all the water drain plugs and tried to start her....nothing just cranking over and over and over and no spark. Sooooo kind brain fart ....realized the points which I looked at were looking corroded.

So in my infinite wisdom thought, hey years ago my neighbor changed his to electronic ignition, how hard can that be. I went down to local Lordco, purchased electronic points and put them in. Saw the red wire...hmmmm where does that go, not sure. didn't attach it.....tried turning the boat over and instantaneously KABOOOOM. I invented rock science with my ski nautique.

Well I have finished fibreglassing my infertaflo back together. It definitely won't win a beauty contest but it does not leak. Checked on my plug wires correct order, was kindly directed where to wire the red wire to the ballast resistor, go to try to turn over....the alarm comes on but nothing when turning the key.

When I put on the blower the ignition alarm shuts off, turn the key and still nothing. I am suspecting....possibly my ignition switch may be having an issue as it is all loose. So will check that, then my battery and then..........kinda lost from there.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 11:43pm
So when was the last time this engine ran?

What has been done to it between then & when you blew the muffler?

If no changes were made, I'd suspect the electronic ignition.

I would manually, intermitantly, ground out the (-) side of the coil & test for strong spark. Hold the output lead of the coil close to engine block, you should get strong blue spark. If it passes this test, move onto same test using dizzy to trigger a spark.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 9:33pm
Get the VOM out and check the voltage you get to the coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadianfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 9:02pm
Regarding Right hand, I checked the serial plate for my motor is PLD-PR-R12PP. Andddddd I just reread the manual and realize that it is left hand rotation. THANK YOU.

For some reason I looked at hte R12 and was thinking Right hand.

I will be going and changing that pretty quickly. Thank goodness as I tried turning it over and absolutely nothing, not even a click.
I am hoping it is my battery which I will be testing tonight and then changing my wiring again.

Are there any fuses that could blow besides the main 50amp fuse on the back of the motor?

thanks
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 9:01pm

2nd - I do have the ballast resistor. So do I just run the red wire from the electronic ignition and run it to the ballast resistor? Which side as the only two wires running to the Ballast resistor: one purple and the other purple/with red stripe.

[/QUOTE]

I am assuming that the purple wire (12 volts) goes from the resistor to the ignition switch (pretty standard). If this correct, you run a wire from the pertronix ignitor to the post on the resistor with the yellow arrow shown below.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 8:54pm
Make double sure you have a right hand (reverse).

Not many boats have a right hand and also have an invertoflow, because the invertoflow flow came out around the same time as the 1:1.23 transmission, which changes a left hand (standard) rotation motor to change a right hand prop.

I happen to have a right hand motor and an invertoflow, but not a whole lot like that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadianfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 7:00pm
You have all been helpful and thanks it is much appreciated.

So I do have a ballast resistor, exactly as your picture shows.

1st - i looked at the diagram for the spark plug wire order - boy was I out to lunch. So my motor is a RH and I put all the wires in the correct order as per the diagram from the PDF document.

2nd - I do have the ballast resistor. So do I just run the red wire from the electronic ignition and run it to the ballast resistor? Which side as the only two wires running to the Ballast resistor: one purple and the other purple/with red stripe.

mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by canadianfooter canadianfooter wrote:

It is all stock. The original coil. I can not see a ballast resistor - so am I correct in believing that it is aftermarket part to put on? Do I need one?

The resistor is typically located in the back of the engine. See below:

No, the resistor was used with stock coils. Stock coils needed 6 volts, so it was necessary to knock the voltage down. This is important, because the pertronix ignitor needs 12 volts.

Let me know if you find it?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 3:25pm
The spark plug wiring order depends on whether you have a Left Hand or Right Hand Rotation engine.

There's some engine manuals in the reference section.

Skip to page 21 in the PDF for the firing orders:
http://correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/1993_PCM_Engine_Manual.pdf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadianfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 3:13pm
It is all stock. The original coil. I can not see a ballast resistor - so am I correct in believing that it is aftermarket part to put on? Do I need one?

With regards to the spark plug wires. I did get a new distributor cap, and carefully put on the wires in the order from the old one.

Is there a diagram to know the spark plug wire order?
My timing may be off. It ran good last summer but did nothing to it forgetting that maybe I should have had someone look at my timing.

thanks
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 11:14am
Like mami said . Did you take the dizzy out ? Install backwards ?
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by canadianfooter canadianfooter wrote:

Okay so a month ago blew my inverta flo muffler. Wouldn't start, flooded the motor and suspected no spark. Ahhh that's where I thought, why not convert to electronic ignition (don't have clue what I am doing). Local Lordco, put ignition switch in, there is an extra wire "red" what to do with that....I'll hook it up to the + side of the coil. Turn the key KABOOOOOM blew out inverta flo. MMMMMmmm. Now what. Well fibreglassed the muffler, looks....well! not beautiful but it will work But...what to do with the ignition.

Was I correct hooking up the red to the positive and black to the negative? This can't be rocket science although by the Kaboom my neighbors thought it was.

Anyone have advice, and be gentle on me. LOL

thanks

Are you using the stock coil with the ballast resistor? If so, make sure its wired like the view below.

If you updated your coil to a coil that needs 12V (no ballast resisitor). make sure its wired like this:

Note: ignore the 6V label on the image. I forgot to change it to 12V.

I'm suspicious that the firing order from cap to spark plugs is wrong. Or the timing is way off. Do you know if both have been checked properly?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadianfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 4:21am
Okay so a month ago blew my inverta flo muffler. Wouldn't start, flooded the motor and suspected no spark. Ahhh that's where I thought, why not convert to electronic ignition (don't have clue what I am doing). Local Lordco, put ignition switch in, there is an extra wire "red" what to do with that....I'll hook it up to the + side of the coil. Turn the key KABOOOOOM blew out inverta flo. MMMMMmmm. Now what. Well fibreglassed the muffler, looks....well! not beautiful but it will work But...what to do with the ignition.

Was I correct hooking up the red to the positive and black to the negative? This can't be rocket science although by the Kaboom my neighbors thought it was.

Anyone have advice, and be gentle on me. LOL

thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic