Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MerCruiser Starter in my 77 Chrysler 318?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MerCruiser Starter in my 77 Chrysler 318?
    Posted: June-25-2014 at 3:37am
They should last a lot longer I would inspect the mounting surfaces to be sure there isn't something causing the starter to be tilted towards flywheel.Maybe somewhere along the the line the wrong starter was installed and you are following it with the same part number.Sound like a lot to do but I would coat the bendix with Dykem and crank it a couple times to see where the contact points are against the ring gear.
Rockymtnsalom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2014 at 1:49am
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

I take mine apart clean and reassemble every couple years. you would be amazed how much crud,rust,scale accumulation there is after just a couple years. Make sure bendix is smooth and no broken springs they are simple and last forever.Most I ever put in is a set of brushes and have gotten some pretty crusty ones back in service.

My Benix has a couple spots were its shiny from the starter butting it. The teeth are still there though. Is that ok? Or is that possible why I'm burning though starters? (2 in the last 5 years)
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 8:42pm
I take mine apart clean and reassemble every couple years. you would be amazed how much crud,rust,scale accumulation there is after just a couple years. Make sure bendix is smooth and no broken springs they are simple and last forever.Most I ever put in is a set of brushes and have gotten some pretty crusty ones back in service.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 8:07pm
The starter is fairly new so I'll give the cables a shot. Thanks for the help!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 12:33am
Should not be the problem then,it could be the cables if they are old or the connections need cleaning at both ends or the starter just may be tired
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If it worked in the past I IMHO would get it rebuilt. If its a reverse rotation those parts don't exactly grow on trees. There are other reasons for that clicking too,35 year old cables,bad connections,deep cycle battery instead of a correct starting battery and the resulting bad solenoid.

I have a optima Blue top batery on it currently. is it posible that this fried the silinoid? the silinoid was my first thought but its only a few years old and then when the loud grinding made me lean more toawds a bad starter

I apprecaite the help!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 12:16am
If it worked in the past I IMHO would get it rebuilt. If its a reverse rotation those parts don't exactly grow on trees. There are other reasons for that clicking too,35 year old cables,bad connections,deep cycle battery instead of a correct starting battery and the resulting bad solenoid.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 11:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockymtnsalom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 11:32pm
Hi so I'm preaty sure my starter when out on my 1970 ski nautique. at first it would just make a loud click and then sorta turn over some times. I tightend the conection from the silinoid to the starter and then it made a bunch of nasty grinding noises when i tried to start it and now it just makes a loud click again when I go to start it. my first question is does this seem like a reasonable asumption on my part that its the starter?
my second question is that when I looked at the starter it aprears to be a MerCruiser which seems odd. the part number is 50-69865 which came up as MerCruiser when I googled it. what I was expecting was 2875928 which would be the seemingly correct part for a LM318. what should I do, Should I order the starter that is the right one for the boat or buy a Mercruiser replacement one?

I apprecait all the help and responces!
I would be toalty lost without this site
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic