NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Change from mechanical to electric fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change from mechanical to electric fuel pump
    Posted: June-28-2014 at 10:03am
As MrMcD mentioned the mechanical pump is more reliable and safer.

However, the electric fuel pump does have one advantage if wired properly. It can make cold starting faster, because it allows the fuel bowls in the carburetor to be filled before starting the engine.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 11:00pm
Have not installed the pump you mention but you need to add features to convert to an electric fuel pump.
Electric pumps need to be wired with an automatic shut off for safety.
If the engine does not start or if the engine shuts off the electric pump needs to shut down. Most of the safety switches give you a 3 second lead time, the pump runs 3 seconds and if it does not detect a running engine it shuts the pump off. Your choice of a Marine design is very good since any open spark can ignite fuel. Marine pumps would be shielded to avoid this happening.
In practice on older applications a mechanical pump is much more reliable and safer in a boat application. They are also quieter than an electric pump. My 95 Nautique uses two OEM electric pumps, they work but you hear them working. Hope this helps.
jkilbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2014 at 1:02pm
Since most of us are stuck with the E10 gasoline I rebuilt my carb using a kit with alcohol resistant gaskets and diaphragms. Since I've been unable to find an alcohol resistant mechanical pump, I've been looking into a universal Mallory marine grade electric pump that's alcohol resistant. Has anyone though of this or done it? Summit Racing has the pump kit for $125 which is comparable to a replacement mechanical pump.
1979 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic