NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator Pulley squealing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Pulley squealing
    Posted: June-30-2014 at 10:22am
The alignment appears really good, checked it with a straight edge. I put a new belt just use the boat Sunday, but I'm ordering a new alternator today. No issues on that side but I have a reoccurring issue that's driving me crazy while running warm at idle.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 9:11pm
And, what about the alignment as asked????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 9:09pm
Thanks everyone that's what I feared. All of the pulleys are smooth without wobble, but looks I'll add a new alternator to the list.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If you refer to your raw water intake pump it will turn stiff as you turn it because you are rotating the rubber impeller blades.

I agree and the reason NG should have been more specific!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 6:24pm
Sounds like your Alternator is worn out. Bearings shot. A rebuild or replacement is necessary. If you refer to your raw water intake pump it will turn stiff as you turn it because you are rotating the rubber impeller blades. The Engine water pump which sits at the front center of the engine above the crankshaft pully will have a little drag but turn smoothly with no wobbles if in good shape.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 6:04pm
Your circ pump and alternator sounds like you have bearing issues. Also, hows the sheave alignment?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JLags View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 11:30am
I have a 96 Sport Nautique GT 40 with the original alternator. I've been noticing some grinding noises like bad bearings come from one of the pulleys. Now yesterday the belt alternator belt broke, so I took the other belt off to check all the pulleys. None of them make any noise and free spin except the alternator squeals during free spin. I also noticed the water pump is hard to turn is that normal? So the question is should I replace the alternator pulley or just replace the belt and move on. If it helps I think the belts are old I bought the boat 4 years ago and have not changed them.

Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic