NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Head gasket

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head gasket
    Posted: July-09-2014 at 4:54pm
I agree if you use a 20 dollar set of automotive gaskets you might have trouble, use a set of quality ones like Felpro and you can use automotive. I used them on my 302 for 20 years before I upgraded to gt40p heads with no problems. As to his original question,about the number of holes,I would think a call to Felpro or a Buick forum would be best.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
nautique74 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 4:17pm
I had to replace a head gasket on my '74 Ski Nautique about 12-years ago, it has the Ford 351-Winsor.

I found out that you can't use a automotive gasket.

The marine gaskets are rubber or something similar and has a metal plate molded into it.

Also it cost like a 100-bucks for the set and automotive was about $20.
1974 Ski Nautique
TimDRichardson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimDRichardson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2014 at 5:12pm
I need some input on two things:
1) correct head gasket. I can't get confirmation for the correct head gasket for my 1964 Correct Craft American Skier. The engine is a Buick Skylark v6 198 c.i. 3.7. The boat is a 1964 but I have been told that anything in between 63-65 would work. The casting # on the head is B1349430. The gasket that all the auto parts stores are telling me is a Felpro HS8723PT. This particular head gasket only has 8 holes and the head has 11 holes. Can anyone tell me where I could get a straight answer? I have even talked with someone at Correct Craft (who told me I had the incorrect gasket and then gave me another head gasket type that does't work? HELP!

2) When the engine is running, flames are shooting out of the carburetor. It's a Holley 500 CFM two barrel gasket and bigger than the one originally on the boat. . i have been told it's too much carburetor for the engine. Thoughts? Where do you order carburetors?

BTW, I will be on vacation for then two weeks but checking email periodically. I'd love anyone with any input to email TimDRichardson@gmail which I can connect to from my phone. Please also cc Rande774@gmail.com who is helping me with repairs!
Tim Richardson
Tim Richardson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic