NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission is not engaging

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission is not engaging
    Posted: July-24-2014 at 11:06pm
From the velvet Drive Installation Manual;

The transmission front adapter and pump housing are designed to permit the pump to be mounted in either of two positions. Each position permits oil to be pumped when pump gears are rotated in one direction only. The pump can only pump oil when any point on the gears is rotated past the inlet port first, then past the crescent shaped portion of the pump housing which separates the inlet from the outlet and then past the pump outlet. The pump must be correctly indexed for each direction of rotation. An arrow with TOP L.H. and a second arrow with TOP R.H. can be found on early pump housings. The arrow which is located nearer the top of pump housing points in the direction the pump must rotate to pump oil.

The letters L.H. and R.H. describe the required pump rotation when facing the pump and tells the same thing as the arrow points out. The letters L.H. and R.H. have been removed from current pump assemblies.

The wise mechanic will always check the pump setting prior to transmission installation to be sure that the arrow agrees with engine rotation.

Pump rotation is viewed from the opposite end of the transmission from which shaft and engine rotation is described. The arrow showing left hand rotation should be nearer the top of the units used behind clockwise rotating engines. The arrow showing right hand rotation should be nearer the top on units used behind counterclockwise rotating engines.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 9:12pm
I feel the pump is installed for the wrong rotation. The rotation in neutral indicates the trans needs a rebuild

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
77southwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77southwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 8:14pm
Alright my knowledgeable correct craft brothers. Here's the deal!

I've got a 1977 Southwind with a 351 winsor PCM that is a right hand engine. Im facing the back of the engine looking at the flywheel and my engine turns clockwise. We have everything working on the engine besides the transmission. The linkage is off of the transmission and when i start her up while the transmission lever is in the neutral position the transmission is turning the shaft and prop clockwise. And we can stop the shaft with a pair of chanel locks, then when i try to engage the lever on my transmission manually and move it in the forward position the transmission doesn't move.i try the same thing in reverse and my shaft doesn't move a hair. It's a velvet drive 1 to 1 ratio and the guy I bought it from had it tested at 700 rpms and swears that the transmission is good and I have a problem with the direction of the arrow.

Does anyone have the answer to my problem?
Thank you in advance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic