Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water over bow

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water over bow
    Posted: August-03-2014 at 5:11am
Is it possible to have a short in the ignition wire in the bilge? It got wet and robbed voltage for a while......?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 12:02am
I don't know what under the dash would cause you to sputter and not build rpm. I could see it now starting and running at all, but sounds like it continued to run. So, not sure what happened.

If it runs fine on the hose, I'm betting it will run fine on the water.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
nedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 10:51pm
I wasn't paying attention and buried the bow into a boat swell. A wall of water cascaded in over the bow and windshield soaking the dash. I know nothing got into the motor area but was wondering if something in the dash could have gotten wet and caused my problem.
It seems to run fine now(sitting in my driveway) but I'm concerned how it will be under load.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 9:46pm
But wait, it's a '96 Ski, how did the water over the bow get into the boat? I'd think you could ship a few gallons, but the rest would sheet off to the sides of the windshield. Am I missing something?

Also, did you bury the nose just idling into some wakes, or was it at higher speed?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 12:50pm
^^^^
what he said, it can also get under the cap.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 12:38pm
Depends on how much water, if it got deep enough to get to the bottom of the crank pully the belts and pully will sling it around under the hood.
nedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 9:28pm
took water over the bow in 96 Ski Nautique with GT40 5.8 HO.
Shortly the boat died while cruising at about 3000RPM.
Subsequently it would start but could not get any RPM and ran rough.
Got towed in.
Today I hooked a water supply to it and it started right away. Normal operating temp and oil pressure.
Wonder if the water over the bow could have got into something which casued the problem but has now dried out and will be OK.
Anyone else had this problem?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic