NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ring gear slip?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ring gear slip?
    Posted: August-17-2014 at 6:09am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Sounds like a couple teeth have ground off on your ring gear, when the starter turns to that spot it just spins without turning the engine. The ring gear can be replaced on your flywheel. They heat it, knock off the old one and to install the new one you chill the flywheel and heat the ring gear and drop it on. When they reach the same temp they are locked together.

Chilling the flywheel isn't needed. Just heating the ring gear will do it. How many have you installed???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 5:51am
Sounds like a couple teeth have ground off on your ring gear, when the starter turns to that spot it just spins without turning the engine. The ring gear can be replaced on your flywheel. They heat it, knock off the old one and to install the new one you chill the flywheel and heat the ring gear and drop it on. When they reach the same temp they are locked together.
mkingz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkingz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 5:08am
thought the flywheel had a worn spot because it would grind occasionally when I hit the starter. gradually got worse and now starter turns and engine isn't. pulled the starter (thinking solenoid wasn't pushing gear out) and found the ground spot on housing past where the gear would extend to. pictures not uploading! I'll try tomorrow to and them in a new post but trust me for now. so today I already pulled the bell housing off and have the flywheel. figured I would see obvious signs of movement (more pics I's love to share!) but it looks like its been in the same spot for 30 years.

I'll add pics in the morning so you can see what I'm talking about but does my description remind anyone of a problem you've already conquered?

thanks, mikeĀ®
CC Martinique, pcm351
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic