Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine rotation question..... Again

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine rotation question..... Again
    Posted: October-21-2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

What's with the Toyota stuff in the background of all your pics?

Tim im a Technician for a Toyota dealer in my Town, my slow times at work is usually when i do my posting on the Forums.
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2014 at 10:29pm
What's with the Toyota stuff in the background of all your pics?
Tim D
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Ninety8NeonACR Ninety8NeonACR wrote:

Thanks guys, looks like I need to order another starter. I originally ordered an ARCO 70100. Looks like I need to add another $30 and get a 70101. I would love to order one from one of the sponsors but man are they pricy.

I have one practicly Brand New one i will sell.. $125 plus shipping pm me for details.
[/IMG]
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 11:59am
You have to be careful listening to the rotation of the starter. It spins the opposite of engine rotation. So a clockwise starter will spin the engine counter clockwise and a counter clockwise starter will spin the engine clockwise.

You have to reverse your thinking when you go with the big block stuff as they spin the same way to spin the engine the same way because they come in from the back as well as Chrysler.

Therefore, big block Correct Craft starters are cheap because they spin the same way as automotive starters.
Ninety8NeonACR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninety8NeonACR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 10:36am
Finally got her running again last night after several years of sitting. Installed the new ring gear and starter. Rebuilt the distributor and carb along with new plug wires and she runs like a champ. I forgot how good it sounds out of the water on the trailer. Now it's time to winterize her

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninety8NeonACR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 3:45pm
I gave it to a friend who scraps. It had to be ground down to fit in the hole so I think it was one of those crappy ebay starters that I have seen people complain about. I didn't know if the starter was the reason I needed to change the ring gear and it isn't really a job I want to do again so I figured I would just put in a new starter.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 2:51pm
What happened to original starter?changes are cleaned up it will work just fine.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 2:35pm
When you're buying marine parts and there's two versions: The more expensive is always the Right-Hand-Reverse. AKA the one most of us CCFers usually need

Distributors, Starters, complete engines...
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 1:51pm
No that is correct way known that for years LOL
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 1:37pm
I was told years ago by an old drunk that the best way to determine propeller rotation was to set it on the ground and piss on the blade furthest away. If the pee runs off left its a lefty. If the pee runs off right its a righty... :)

Sorry about that, Im stuck in the office on a rainy day.. thinking maybe wings and a pitcher for lunch.... Yum.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninety8NeonACR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 1:28pm
My point of confusion actually came when they were describing the starter as clockwise I thought they were describing the engines rotation not the starters rotation. Oh well.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 1:25pm
I was told years ago by an experienced Engine Rebuild shop to determine rotation while Standing behind the flywheel looking forward at the engine. This has been pointed out already but this is a simple way to remember how to figure Left or Right hand rotation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninety8NeonACR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 1:03pm
Thanks guys, looks like I need to order another starter. I originally ordered an ARCO 70100. Looks like I need to add another $30 and get a 70101. I would love to order one from one of the sponsors but man are they pricy.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 12:52pm
Never a question about which way it should turn just which way to look at it! If approaching from the car world (standing in front of engine ) the crank should be spinning counter clockwise .If approaching from a boating world (looking at flywheel) clockwise.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 11:49am

Thats baccerds..
Wrong direction.
Direction is always defined by looking at the flywheel end. A RH engine flywheel will roll CW.
So when looking at the pulley end the pulleys should be rolling counter clockwise.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninety8NeonACR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2014 at 11:43am
I have been unable to get my 82' ski nautique running this year. I have been working on it for a couple of years. It needed a new ring gear so I replaced that. I figured I would throw a new starter in since I didn't know if the starter was the reason the ring gear was bad. I bought a marine starter that was for a reverse rotation 351w but I'm unsure whether they sent the correct one or not. I also needed to do carb work so I rebuilt the carb yesterday and got everything back together but I can't get it to start. I'm trying to figure out if it's rotating the right direction or not. Standing at the bow facing the engine the crank spins clockwise. I have searched the forum but most of the posts either contradict themselves throughout or are talking about prop rotation or starter rotation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic